PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, since I have been experimenting with SG brown no. 4 mixed with other english blends, it dawned on me that this can be done in an interminable combination. For example I have remembered some aromatic tobacco that I have jared but has lost its umpf, as far as taste goes, so I am thinking why not enhance the taste so it matches the aroma by adding some Oriental blend. Do you guys mix your tobacco for desired results?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All the time, and not just to solve problem blends but for adventure and sport. I have better luck when I don't mix too many, maybe just an extra condiment leaf, single leaf, or blend to complement what's there. I am partial to non-aromatics, which have plenty of flavor aspects with Latakia, Cavendish, dark fired, Orientals, and many others. Cigar leaf, burley, and aged Virginia are among many tobaccos that can add verve to too-mild or faded blends.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
We revere our blends and blenders and would never ever contaminate one of their precious concoctions with our own amateurish attempts at modification.

The very idea is an insult to Sir Walter Raleigh himself.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Sir Walter who?! you mean that guy that was in the queen's service some odd 600 years !? :lol:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Do you guys mix your tobacco for desired results?
Yes, and I think many blenders anticipate this because it has been done since the dawn of time, as we know from the number of people who reported mixing Five Brothers with other OTCs to give them some kick.
Perhaps my favorite mix is Hal O' The Wynd with Cotton Boll Twist. Tastes like Marzipan, and has some strength to it.
Mixing Brown No. 4 into an English must be exciting, however. Might finally bring Early Morning Pipe up into the "strong" range so we can enjoy it at lunch too...

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I mix all the time. Once in a while, I have an idea for a blend and mix larger (4oz.) batches that I press & age, but most often I just mix a bowl or 2 at a time. I smoke a mix every few days. Sometimes it's adding some Brown Bogie to an aromatic for a bit more strength with the great room note/flavor, other times I add perique to a favorite VA, and occasionally I add a little Lat to a blend that seems a bit flat. It's a great way to increase the flavors available at any given time.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Some good mixes that I like:
I keep all of these in a jar for at least one month after blending so they can properly marry.
St. Bruno & Lakeland Dark (LLD really absorbs the flavors of Bruno and gives it a bit more backbone).

Autumn Evening & Brown Bogie (the BB really make AE a more enjoyable smoke)

Erinmore Flake & Lakeland Dark (this is an interesting mix but I still prefer EF on it's own but I have noticed something strange when it comes to Erinmore Flake; the color of the flakes vary from tin to tin even from the same batch number, the darker flakes I prefer not to mix and smoke as is but the lighter flakes I'll either bake in the oven or mix with LLD. It's as if they aren't leaving the flakes in the steam press long enough, I dunno?)

HU Haddes Best Irish & Lakeland Dark (LLD is a good base blending component and it's very good on it's own).
Some of these mixtures are not my own ideas but thought worthy of sharing.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I couldn't stop mixing my tobaccos if I had to. I can't leave well enough alone, and have always thrown in something extra when cooking food. Sometimes it doesn't work, but sometimes it is a revelation. Most of the time it is not spectacular but gives me better ideas to build on. Once you get to know your ingredients, things get much better quickly. :)
I just got some Lakeland Dark the other day and have been mixing it with St. Bruno(Jan 2016 batch). It tastes great. I have even thrown in a pinch of SWR for that bit of burley. Nice!
I don't recommend mixing worms with tobacco, whether from a can or fresh. 8O

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just got some Lakeland Dark the other day and have been mixing it with St. Bruno(Jan 2016 batch). It tastes great. I have even thrown in a pinch of SWR for that bit of burley. Nice!

Awesome! It's good stuff all by it's lonesome but it can really add another dimension when mixed with another blend. I assume that the LLD mixed with St. Bruno is probably closer to how the original Ogden's St. Bruno tasted.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For the Lakeland fans.
oldreddog's Lakeland Love Bomb recipe.
1792 Flake,Conniston Cut Plug and Kendal Cream Flake
I like it in a meerschaum, though likely is great in any pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mixing available leaf and blends will be a way to keep pipe smoking interesting if new regs significantly limit available blends, and especially new blends.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't recommend mixing worms with tobacco, whether from a can or fresh.
Spot on mate :lol:
I am glad I have opened this thread ... Not only did I get reassurance that this can be done, and it can be done in very constructive ways, but I also got some new ideas. :puffy:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
deathmetal EMP and SG Brown no. 4 is quite something. I am of the belief that EMP is a good blend, but I also would dare say it is highly over rated. While it may be a good blend, there are many better blends out there - on the same note, english/oriental, but superior in terms of taste and flavor. I have yet to manage to smoke brown no.4 on its own - given my pipe experience and taste I am not sure I will be able to get over this in the near future. I do find it fantastic though in a 40-60% mix with EMP. I am thinkig about pairing this with an aromatic - not sure what to expect, probably a lot more dark virginia taste with a better room note - god knows, will let you guys know. :puffpipe: Likely candidate Savinelli Aroma ..

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My experience with Englishes is that many of them are tasty, but a bit weak, and that the flavor improves when adulterated by a neutral-ish component like Burley. I have yet to experience EMP, but my guess is that it needs a bit of fortification!

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
I've recently stumbled onto a blend of Jack Knife Plug cut with 30% McClelland Beacon and it is sublime. To me it is Macbaren Dark Twist with a tube amp and a reverb pedal.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For the Lakeland fans.
oldreddog's Lakeland Love Bomb recipe.
1792 Flake,Conniston Cut Plug and Kendal Cream Flake

I like it in a meerschaum, though likely is great in any pipe.

Interesting! I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for sharing.
How could I forget... Ogden's Mixture
St. Bruno & Gold Block (50/50)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
St. Bruno ... I keep hearing that name a lot. If I am not mistaken I guess this is the English version of Prince Albert, or perhaps better. It is not a blend one finds in continental Europe, in fact ... lakelands a rare commodity in continental Europe.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I started smoking aro's at first, fell in love with Virginias and va/per's. Now I have excess aros' that I won't smoke on their own. I have mixed Bullseye Flake 60/40 with them and now they are good, or at least tolerable.
In my tobacco cabinet I keep 2 mix jars, best quality tobaccos (my favorites or expensive), and mid quality. For example when I am smoking SG FVF and have some extra that I broke up, I dump into the appropriate jar, after some time I now have 2 jars with 10 or so tobaccos in each, I have found this to be a delightful way to smoke them later. Sometimes I prefer smoking the salad instead of a specific tobacco.
Just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.