PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I just received my order of a pound of Anni Kake and a little sample of Crooner. 3 tins of McClelland Navy Cavendish are also joining their friends in my big plastic storage tub cellar.
First, the Anni Kake. The FDA news prompted me to get a pound of bulk AK for the cellar to augment the tins I already have. For my smoking rate, that's a lot. I've only purchased tins of AK before, and the aroma I got to wallow in while I jarred it up was amazing; the strength of it was unlike anything I've gotten from popping a single tin. Heavenly stuff that had my mouth watering. Forget the freakshow of an election that's brewing: Russ Oullette 2016.
I'm working on my first bowl of Crooner, and my first reaction is that deer tongue is a lot more subtle than I thought it would be. Just the softest vanilla/mint sensation (I can't raise it to the level of "taste") on the side of my tongue. Very pleasant and a nice side car to the chewy, nutty burley that's needs no other description. I think I've found a good partner for Classic Burley Kake when making a change of pace from my Virginias. I particularly like the burning qualities of the cube burley. The reviews I've read seem to be very much love/hate, and right now I'll commit to like.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I am right there with you on the Anniversary Kake. Large stash of A.K. sitting in the cellar. A fantastic bargain in my opinion,really loaded up when P&C had the H&H bulk sale. Lot of 8oz tins as well.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm a big fan of Crooner, tried Anni Kake once or twice and wasn't all that jazzed. I know it has quite a following. I'm wondering what I'm missing?

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I find Deer tongue reminds me of chamomile, sweet and floral.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Krizzose:
Of all the aged tobacco I've got tucked away the most compliments I receive, via trades or shares, comes from smokers getting some four year old Anni Kake.
Personally, I don't care for it. But, many, many smokers do.
Still, I'd like to store this stuff in bulk so please tell me how you protect your stash. I love P&C tobaccos: many are just downright superb, but those rickety assed, waxed cardboard tins leave me doubting their long haul viability.
I don't think Ball/Mason jars can swallow an entire tin of AK - small or large. But, if you're doing something different I'd love to know.
Thanks!
Fnord

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Nothing special with my storage technique, I just stuffed it into new mason jars and put the lids on tight. So far I'm leaving the tins as is, but I share your concerns about their ability to hold up for years

Status
Not open for further replies.