PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piippuiikka

Lurker
Jul 27, 2017
Finally, it is 6th December and Finland’s 100th anniversary. The country has been celebrating the whole year, more or less, and now it's time for me to participate. I will fill my best pipe with something my father (R.I.P) used to smoke in his pipe when I was a child: tobacco called "Kilta" (means 'guild' in english). Not that it is anything wonderful - maybe the worst choice from a modest range of tobaccos available in local store. Actually I'm not sure if it is available at all nowadays (waste of time trying to google it in this country - no information allowed). I hope I will find it and immerse myself in memories of my childhood: me playing on the floor while the sinful but delicious aroma of tobacco floating around...
kilta-337x600.jpg

Be welcomed to join me and have a bowl of your favorite tobacco to celebrate Finland's 100 years of independence!
https://finland.fi/life-society/finland-celebrates-100-years-of-independence-in-2017/

Piippuiikka (Pipe Ike)

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Both of my Dad's parents came through Ellis Island around then. Grandma came from Turvo, and Grandpa came from someplace in the huge "central lakes region" of Finland.
The other side arrived in 1623 from somewhere in the West of England (port in Wales? Cornwall? no idea). Suspect may have been an English Borderer family.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well lets hope the Russians have given up on any further designs on getting back the Duchy of Finland or whatever they called the place!

piippuiikka

Lurker
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you all. Sadly, I did not get "Kilta" tobacco from a local store. The saleswoman thought that Kilta brand exists no more. So, I bought a packet of Borkum Riff Bronze, which is same as BR Mixture flavoured with bourbon whiskey (tobacco makers can't put aromatic info on the packet anymore). Not my favorite indeed, but the flavour is also familiar from my childhood home. Brand is made in Denmark for a Swedish company, so not a bad choice at all...
20171206_185634-312x600.jpg

Condorlover1: There are lots of Russians here near the border - people come here shopping and celebrating. Especially the New Year is popular. Friendly and welcomed people, helping the economy of Finnid Karelia. You never know about the politicians and their ideas, though...
Anantaandroscoggin: "Turvo" is not a place in Finland, as far as I know. Maybe your grandma came from Turku, our oldest city? Lakes we have everywhere, and my location makes no exception.
Always on finnish indepence day, from 6 pm to 8 pm, houses are decorated with two living candles on each window. My family follows the tradition too, even though very few will notice that as we have no neighbours nearby. So, here I stand, in front of my house, enjoying a bowl of Borkum Riff and celebrating my 100 years young home country. Wonderful!
suomi_100_iikka-600x424.jpg

Blue and white lighting celebrating us around the globe, see this:

http://suomifinland100.fi/news/world-congratulates-100-year-old-finland-lighting-blue-white/?lang=en

Piippuiikka (Pipe Ike)

piippuiikka

Lurker
Jul 27, 2017
Wow. I was born in Oulu (and lived there 53 years - married to Karelia just two years ago). But I spent my 8 months military service in Vaasa in the 80's, and had a short term girlfriend there in 2013 - so that beautiful city on the Gulf of Bothnia raises somewhat mixed feelings in me...

Piippuiikka

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have read and lightly studied about the Finns and the Winter War.
I collect bolt action military surplus rifles. One of my most prized examples is a Finnish M39 built on a Russian Sestroretsk receiver made in 1896.
The Finns took marginally acceptable Russian Mosin Nagant rifles, fitted them with quality Belgian barrels, greatly improved the triggers, sights and stocks and reissued them at home. Mine was sent to me in "unfired" condition since leaving the Finnish refurbishment line in the 40's.
It's quite possible that, some time during the last 122 years, this rifle aided in securing your national independence. I only hope to be as well traveled as my rifle some day :P
m39-full-600x450.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Speaking of firearms, Finland is responsible for one of the finest little sub-machine guns ever made. The KP-31 (Suomi as we know it) is just about as perfect as a firearm can be. Beautiful, well made and tough.
300px-Suomi_submachine_gun_M31_1_%281%29.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.