PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
003-3.jpg

I just finished "Tobacco A Cultural History Of How An Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization" by Iain Gately on my Kindle. If you like tobacco, reading and have even a slight interest in history I highly recommend this book. This incredible work documents the symbiotic relationship between tobacco and mankind over the past 500 years from the introduction of tobacco to the first European explorers by native Americans to the late 1990's. Some of this history I was aware of but much of it was interestingly new to me. I learned a great deal about the proliferation of our favorite weed and I am amazed at how tobacco has been very much a part of human affairs for centuries.
The second half of the book focuses on the rise of the cigarette and the effect it had on the world and brings into perspective how we arrived at the current state of things concerning tobacco use. Ultimately I come away with a sense that tobacco is here to stay and it is up to us pipe smokers to demonstrate that pipes or even the occasional cigar is the best way to enjoy one of natures's greatest gifts. There is no denying the ill effects of over consumption and cigarette usage over the last hundred years has caused a mulititude of health problems for modern man.
Yes I agree if not for the cigarette smokers we wouldn't have all the great choices of tobacco we do today as pipe smokers but I tend to model my usage after the primitive man who did not rely on pipe weed as an hourly crutch but as a special treat to augment special occasions.
Whatever your personal position on tobacco is this great book is a feast for thought and deserves a look.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have that one on my shelf, still untouched for the time being... Thanks for the review! (I also have Drink by Gately, a social history of alcohol)

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I love my kindle...I'm gonna have to pick up the book...Sounds very interesting....I'm still working on Rick Newcombes Still Searching for Pipe Dreams

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Al -I pull my ebooks from Amazon. I just plugged in the title into amazon's search engine and it popped right up.
sparroa -Thanks for the tip on Drink. I'm sure it would be just as fascinating.
Another cool thing I forgot to mention is a small section at the end of the book that details home cultivation of tobacco from seed to harvest and a rudimentary curing method for the do-it-yourselfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.