PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I hate digital books, but I couldn't resist this. The book is called "Back From The Ashes: Uncovering the Lost History of G. L. Hunt and the Falcon Pipe". Obviously it is about Falcons. I happen to really like Falcons, and it was only $2.99 on Amazon. Unfortunately it was a limited printing run so they don't have paperbacks available. I'd much prefer to have the actual book, but at $2.99 I thought "what the hell?".

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It is a very good book. I have an autographed pback from Kathy and have purchased several nice Falcons from her. She sells NOS on eBay from time to time. While still very good pipes, the bowls are not the same as they used to be. Anyway, its a great history and her writing is good, so you should enjoy it. I am hoping she is going to come out with a Nook version. Hard to believe that Falcon has sold more than 44,000,000 pipes!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm reading it right now, it's a good book. I'm ashamed to say this is the first book I've read in probably 5 years, not counting the ones I was forced to read in high school(I graduated in 2011).

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"Unfortunately it was a limited printing run so they don't have paperbacks available."
I recently got my paperback copy from here:

http://www.iwanries.com/back-from-the-ashes-P7316C184.cfm
They should be restocking in the near future.
Kathy is obviously not a professional author, but she did a credible job of avoiding just a compilation of names, dates and statistics; she also provided lots of great info about the development of my favorite pipe.
"Hard to believe that Falcon has sold more than 44,000,000 pipes!"
I don't find it hard to believe in the least; what's hard to believe is that several pipe snob authors such as Hacker, Newcombe and Lopez hardly even mention the Falcon at all.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I'd love to see someone put together a book (or encyclopedia) on the history and development of metal pipes. Perhaps Tony Pringle of Smoking Metal or Elie from Metal Vintage will do it; perhaps even me!

Status
Not open for further replies.