PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, any of you have any clue what might have happened here? As per the picture, a little boil apeared on my pipe bowl. Now I know I have dropped this pipe once maybe a couple-three months ago. I was sitting down, smoking, and it just slipped. Back then, when it fell on the tiled floor, there were no visible signs of damage, just a small scratch where this boil recently appeared. I have been smoking this Angelo regularly since, and noticed this only recently. Any idea if I can repair this, or is it worth a try? Will it get any worse? The boil is hard, I tried pushing it in with my nail, but no use.
IMG_20180106_1343020.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Is your pipe varnished or shellacked? The reason for my question is that it looks very shiny.
If so, then perhaps there is a pin-hole in the briar which has allowed the heat in the bowl to bubble the finish.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Not sure to be honest with you, I think it is varnished ... the shininess is too thick to be shelllack. Might it be related to the the beating it took when it slipped out of my hand? I guess that if it was a defect in the briar, it would have showed a longer time ago. This pipe is in my rotation for roughly a year, smoking it maybe 2-3 times a week.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got 2 Falcon bowls that look like this and I've had them for many years. They both smoke just fine, so I wouldn't worry about your bowl. Sorry, but I don't know what causes these.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
At this point, if that was my pipe, I'd let it sit in a container filled with a Everclear for a few hours. Strip the varnish off along with much of the stain. Use sandpaper to help strip it. Then I'd wax it with Paragon Wax. Apply a coat of olive oil. Then proceed to wax it a couple more times. Bet it turns into a beautiful pipe with no more boil problem. Plus itl'll smoke better. Mine did. The varnish or shellac made my pipe blister and it smoked hot and wet. When I stripped that crap off it smoked like a dream.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's probably unrelated to dropping it. Looks like a bubble in the varnish caused by heat. I suspect if you reheat it, pop it with a needle, you can press it back down so it's barely noticeable .

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's a lot of work, and even radical when there are possibly solutions that'd take minutes and leave the pipe in very good shape!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I suspect if you reheat it, pop it with a needle, you can press it back down so it's barely noticeable .
+1
I'll add that most of the time after pressing it down, buffing with a soft cloth can make them nearly invisible.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The reheating and using the needle doesn't seem to work. For now, the pipe smokes fine, should it start going south I may have no choice but to try and strip the varnish ... although it seems overkill for just a small boil.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Do you have a soldering iron?
Well if a soldering iron is what it takes to heat it, I have not done it properly. So how would I go about doing that without damaging the varnish surrounding the boil?

Status
Not open for further replies.