PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I usually work on a pipe from start to finish- normal working time might 8-15 hours. This one was an exception- I started it just after the Chicago Show and spent a 3-4 hours a week bringing it along. I'm not sure I'll ever do this again-

dzdrir.jpg

2f07z2p.jpg

2aamxkp.jpg

zfdc.jpg

kdmz5t.jpg

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Awesome example of the work you can do !

Photos of that pipe could lead to a lot of commissions, showing that if they can dream it, you can make it.

Still think the Snapping turtle is the most awesome pipe !
Tom

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys!
Tom
Still think the Snapping turtle is the most awesome pipe
Yep- it's my favorite too...A fun design that I can adapt to a lot of different blocks of briar and actually complete one in a day...(or 4 in a week..:)

2ign61w.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just sandpaper? That's remarkable.
I use a technique that's fairly unique- I smear a little BBQ sauce on a chunk of briar, throw it to my Cocker Spaniel, and let her gnaw on it for a few hours- I end up with a nice organic shape (usually vaguely bone-shaped) that requires a whole boat load of sandpaper to remove all the teeth marks....

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow Zack!! That is a wild looking pipe! It almost looks alive, like it's trying to squirm out of your hand. I can see why it took so much time on this one.
+1
Wow is the word!
I use a technique that's fairly unique- I smear a little BBQ sauce on a chunk of briar, throw it to my Cocker Spaniel, and let her gnaw on it for a few hours- I end up with a nice organic shape (usually vaguely bone-shaped) that requires a whole boat load of sandpaper to remove all the teeth marks...
8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is quite a pipe, a tour de force I might say. I'm trying to come up with a shape name (just for fun).

So far, maybe, given the curvature and the paw-like shaping on the bottom of the bowl, I'd go for

The Lion's Left Hook.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm trying to come up with a shape name (just for fun)
The initial idea was a blowfish...but it has some nautilus elements in it as well...maybe "Naughtyfish"

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Bowl shape reminded me of the peghead on a violin, so I'd suggest "The Stradivarius". :)
Whatever you call it, that is spectacular work!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd call it a tad pole. Really nice work!

I smear a little BBQ sauce on a chunk of briar, throw it to my Cocker Spaniel

A lab wouldn't be good for that, tender mouths and loyal retrievers. I bet a pit bull puppy could give you a head start.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Zack that is amazing - another piece of technical artistry that showcases your extraordinary skills.
Andy

Jan 8, 2013
That is just insane! I honestly don't know how you keep turning out these masterpieces. You've even posted pipes on here akin to something I normally would not like... such as the black bamboo shanked pipe a while back. I really just do not like the look of bamboo on a pipe! But you manage to make such a pipe and it's beautiful. Amazing. Of course the snapping turtle is still my favorite so far. Beautiful pipes :) Keep turning them out and posting them here for us to drool over.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
How do you shape the stem like that?
That got a little tricky- the pipe cleaner gives you the best visual so you can see it- there are actually 2 changes in direction- I had to drill about 1/3 over from the center of the button with my draft hole. then I did my usual 1" deep funnel So what you have is a funnel meeting the draft hole that angles over to meet the bottom of the mortise and then it's another angle into the tobacco chamber(It does pass a cleaner without fiddling around). Similar to what I'd normally do on a bent, but it's sideways and had to be done freehand...Once that was done, most of the shaping was done with the JAlan French wheels and refined with files, scrapers, a Foredom tool, and lot's of sandpaper. I probably have 20 hours of shaping and sanding on the stem alone....

25oxkc4.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think most here know my taste in pipes. Still, I am very impressed with the attention to detail, finish and fit. You sir, are an artisan! I think a bit of an engineer also. The flowing curve is whimsical and looks as though it would be quite comfortable as a hand held smoke. It's the first wildly,non-classical shape that's ever really caught my eye. Good on you!
The pup should see an extra ration of kibble for his contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.