PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
When I was ordering some more "Bulkwark* from "mysmokingshop", for a friend on this site, I noticed that they now stock Irish Slices (sourced from Peter Stokkebye).
10 years ago I used to buy a lot of Bulwark and Irish Slices from "The Edinburgh Pipe Shop". Then the proprietor said it was no longer being produced. I know I loved them both but couldn't remember exactly what the Irish Slices tasted like, so of course I ordered a trial weight of 50g.
It arrived today. I can't tell you what the tin note is like since it is sold loose in bulk. But it comes in beautifully cut flakes, like Peterson's IF but a bigger rectangle and slightly thicker. Like IF it is dry from the start and rubs out easily. At that stage the aroma is reminiscent of St Bruno but less fruity.
One flake was perfect for the James Upshall Strait Pot which I chose to smoke it in because the width of the pot would give me a better appreciation of its flavour. It lit easily, the charring light turning into the full burn, and from top to bottom no relights were required. But it did not burn quickly, rather it was a remarkably cool and slow burn, much like Bulwark, and with genteel sipping and a distinguished cadence the bowl lasted a full two hours - I didn't want to put it down!
So, what about the taste? The St Bruno's hint did not last long, and there was none of the St Bruno's fruitiness. From the middle third to the bottom of the bowl it was a heavenly, dry smoke, similar to Bulwark. It also reminded me of IF but smoother, less strong and with no tendency to the potential harshness that can be found in IF and which has been mentioned elsewhere. I would put it between IF and Bulkwark in taste - pure tobacco - it is said to contain a dash of Burley on top of its main VA constituent, but IMHO the Burley did not declare itself on my palate. In strength, if IF is 'medium' in my book, then Irish Slices is mild/medium.
Like Bulwark this is another great ancient tobacco which thankfully is now once more available. I think it might age well - so I am going to buy a load more in case it disappears again LOL
PS If anyone tells me they can detect "lakeland Essence" in this little masterpiece I will burst into tears! No, I will stamp my feet, have breath-holding attacks, become doubly incontinent and throw a tantrum!!! LOL This tobacco has never been near Kendal, nor has it felt the blade of the putatively promiscuous SG or GH tobacco-cutting machines!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks rothnh. It was a joy to find it again after so long - and an even greater joy to smoke it!!

May 31, 2012
Ay up miduck,

ye writta rowth o real guid wirds! Pure barry view ya done did, gie it brilliant laldy, 's 'a braw belter quality intae lume 'n eddication an thaim that daes thair hamewark gets sliced sweeties efter aw the bonnie graith.
Wis it tho thon baccie gangs doun unco reekie brawlies?
A'm no liftin a wird A says!
Think ye sae?
Tis a torture I tellya, to gotta tung tuned up on Brittie baccie whenna ne'er cain't get none round here, but I 'ppreciate yer tellin' ovvit acausa sumday gonna aggin when I makesa bank fer gettin' goodstuff suchwise an' nows I gitta nother one ta addup ontha biggie list!
Sounds like a right good weed, i always love the Kentucky.
From what I've read, it used to be made by Murray's as a competitor to Condor?
Here onna 2005 news page of the Pipe Club of Norfolk, I found this:

A tobacco blender from the now defunct Murray's factory has joined forces

with Peter Stokkebye of Denmark to reproduce Bulwark Flake and Irish Slices.

http://www.pipeclubofnorfolk.co.uk/newsletters2005.php
PS

If anyone tells me they can detect "Lakeland Essence" in this little masterpiece I will burst into tears!
Awright, I did finda viddy ovva chappie reviewin' them 'ol Irish Slices

'n he thinks mayhaps it ain't rilly made by Stokkeby acausa

it's just too Brittie to be,
an' he sez mebbe it's one 'o them duo Gawith boys!
...review starts around 2:38
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg1JpPkFFsA

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@ misterlowercaseman, I really don't know what to say, and it's not often I'm lost for words! But I will make a few points, if I may:
1. Your attempt at dialect is indeed noble, but discordant in parts ("pairts"?). You are wasted on the western side of the pond - you should head east and indulge in an in depth study, perhaps starting in Auld Reekie? lol. I am unsure what is worse, mixed metaphors or mixed dialects LOL. Come over here and demonstrate whether you can "Talk the Talk"!!
2. Your ability to track down fascinating ephemera is, in my experience so far, unmatched! I loved the NPC link. Incidentally, my Chris Askwith Morta pipe (see my thread "I'm Feeling Morta Tonight") is made from 10,000 year-old bogwood from the Broads (not those you yankees seem so taken with lol) and bogs of Norfolk, and Chris (who lives in Portsmouth, England!) told me that he recently went on an expedition to Norfolk to acquire more.
3. The Irish Slices I, and my father before me, used to smoke was Murray's derived. It did not taste much like Condor then and it doesn't now (I have had some Condor Long Cut hanging around for some time now, and rarely visit it). The stuff I smoked yesterday tastes the same as I remember; I don't know who makes it now, and I don't much care. But I repeat, if anyone can prove to me that "Iakeland Essence" has been added I will take down ma breeks and expose myself before throwing the promised tantrum!!
As an act of international provocation I am considering sending you a (very small) bowlful of the legendary Irish Slices in the knowledge that you would not be able to source more LOL Hahahahahahaha!!

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Ah.... another of my customers in the video above but may he wash out his mouth with Lakeland soap!
Calling Irish Slices an English tobacco - when it was made by Murrays in Belfast!! For those unfamiliar with our Geography, there are actually 4 countries in the UK and not only England.
Perhaps we should also call Rattrays blends and John Sinclair Highland Slices English too? Why not, if anything proves to be worthy from the UK (and the aforementioned certainly are)it is called English.... if it's crap it will be called Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish :D

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
LOL - I think Andy Murray is another example. Wait until he starts losing everything we will have Scotland's first ever tennis player :)

May 31, 2012
"Your attempt at dialect is indeed noble, but discordant in parts..."
:oops:

LOL, I'd say the whole thing is discordant!

I'll chalk it up to late-night sleepy posting and leave it at that,

I dunno what possessed me?
I promise I won't no more try'n talk Cromarty fisherfolk!
Reborn,

you make an excellent point - it's amazing how drastic regional differences can be, especially considering the relatively small size of the UK, each region complete with their own distinct cultural differences as well as a tremendous range of dialects --- sadly, the new global world tends to erase such distinctions and the newer generations tend to be more absorbed in their "virtual world" as opposed to their "local world" and many of the old quirks get lost to time --- although in the good news dept. is that many folks recognize this and are making valiant attempt to preserve such cultural individualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.