PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
Another in my occasional series of 'Pipemen I have Known'.
When I was just a young nipper my dad's best friend was a blacksmith named Aaron. I do believe Aaron was his best man. My dad smoked cigarettes in those days but Aaron was a pipeman through and through. He was only a little guy - no more than 5 foot 6 or so. But he was easily the strongest man I have ever met - but what do you expect from a guy who bent and shaped iron for a living?
There were two things I remember especially: First, he smoked Falcons. In fact, he must have been among the first people in Northern Ireland to adopt them. But, as he would have said, he needed a pipe he could just grip in his jaws while he hammered and shaped the wrought iron fencing he was known for.
The other thing I remember is that he smoked Balkan Sobranie. I had never heard of it and in any case I was too young to smoke, or even to want to. But I do remember the distinctive smell of the Balkan tobacco, quite different from the St Bruno type tobaccos most people smoked in those days. I wonder if my own taste for Balkans comes from my young memories?
Aaron was a very quiet man - he never said much, and was always content with his own company and the company of the Airedale terriers he used to breed. A lovely man, and a grand ambassador for our noble art. He never married.
Over the years we lost touch, especially after my dad died. My sister told me though that when the 'troubles' kicked off in Northern Ireland in the early 1970s, he suddenly became much in demand as police stations, army barracks, etc all needed high quality security fencing and gates, and they needed them quickly. This was just the kind of thing an experienced blacksmith was expert in. According to my sister, Aaron became quite a wealthy man in his last years!
I remember Aaron fondly and do hope that heaven has a goodly supply of Balkan Sobranie!
Mike

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Very touching story, Mike. Thanks for posting. It's amazing how pipes foster these positive memories where cigarettes and cigars just don't. I have great memories of my dad's piping days.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I love it when the world see fit to produce men like you described. In many aspects I could not live a life walking the path of life in a like manner; however, it does not stop me from appreciating and learning from men such as the blacksmith. Thank you so much for sharing.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
An interesting reminiscence Mike and as Eric points out, possibly only remembered due to the chap smoking a pipe and not cigarettes.
Unfortunately I have no such memories as even as a child I never knew or met anyone who smoked a pipe...and I was brought up in Barnsley, Sheffield and the Peak District! The first two places must have had many pipe smokers due to their industrial settings but I never knew one.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.