PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I fully expect this to be removed, but I have to speak up. My Father died 9 years ago yesterday. Nine years ago, the 22nd was Thanksgiving. His grandfather had Native American blood and was given land by the government to farm. Believe me, they didn't just hand it over to everyone. I don't even remember what tribe anymore. This is not political, it is religious. We are poisoning the only planet we have. I can't remember the last time I was this sad or ashamed to be an American. My Governor, your future vice president, Mr Pence has sent Indiana police to harm women and children, the elderly and the infirm as they try to peacefully defend their sacred land from destructive intent.

Please say a prayer for the Standing Rock Sioux. Happy Thanksgiving.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/standing-rock-sioux-tear-gas-thanksgiving_us_583496a3e4b000af95ece35d
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvGiYFOx5T4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-0vfrxkrxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYvjPqOOA_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOCy7FYwN6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwUxXQlKvHs

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Mayfair, While this is very troubling, you are singling out the wrong folks. Shouldn't you complain about a different administration?
The route doesn't even go through Indiana.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Shouldn't you complain about a different administration?

I'm completely pissed with the current admin's lack of action. I fear the next one will be much worse. It is the Emergency Management Assistance Compact. Read this...

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/call-6-investigators/call-6-dozens-of-indiana-officers-deployed-to-north-dakota-pipeline-dispute-but-whos-paying

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Mayfair, that's fine, but you NEGLECTED this administration and the National Guards of 4 other states.
Your fears might be real, but you are also correct, this is not the place.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
you NEGLECTED this administration
I was focusing on MY Governor. You brought up administrations. I don't live in 4 other states. Again, it is their sacred land and this is a moral issue. This is in General Discussion section and directly relates to Thanksgiving.

Yeah, mods probably should delete this thread. Still, I wish you, and everyone else, well this Holiday Ashdigger. :)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm cooking too. Ribeye steaks, Asparagus and Baked potatoes.
Btw, I was at Standing Rock a little over a month ago.......I support them.

May 4, 2015
I'm on gravy duty, as per usual. And the hollandaise for breakfast. If I don't do it, they will come out of packages - and that I CAN NOT abide.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Mr Pence has sent Indiana police to harm women and children, the elderly and the infirm...
This is totally untrue.
The governor never sent law enforcement officers to intentionally target to kill or harm women, children, elderly, or infirm citizens.
You should be ashamed of yourself repeating this crazy rhetoric.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Zekest - You may want to reread my OP. I did NOT say kill. I have repeated nothing. These are my own thoughts, something you may be unfamiliar with. Intentional or otherwise, people are being maimed and gravely injured. Maybe you think it is crazy that a Governor take responsibility for sending State Law Enforcement to what is essentially a corporate land grab. We have made treaty after treaty with these tribes and broken them. A poor woman may have to have her arm amputated and hundreds have been seriously injured. Do you chalk that up to crazy rhetoric as well? Collateral damage? I will not be browbeaten by someone who obviously knows nothing about the kind of man Pence is. I will say what I damn well please when men in power use it at the cost of the livelihood and well being of the powerless and innocent. You should be ashamed of yourself for not being outraged at this miscarriage of justice. Or do you approve of it? I believe the military will be deployed there December 4th. Again, this is not political, this is moral. How can YOU in good conscience support what is happening there?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
This political crap gets old fast. This thread is opinion and politics. Why don't we just keep non-tobacco politics out of it. The thread is not factual and goes downhill from the get-go. I heart oil pipelines as a general matter. I heart carbon fuels. I like emitting CO2, especially in the form of tobacco smoke.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
This political crap gets old fast

Agreed. I made the mistake of venting here. I have been factual. I love fossil fuels when I'm driving 70 mph on the highway, just not in my rivers or Native American sacred lands. That lady did have her arm amputated by the way. Do I have to send a mod a birthyear Dunhill to get this thread closed?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Mayfair:
Shut the fuck up.
You're far too entertaining and educational a poster to be locked out but I've seen that happen way too often since I've been a member here.
Pick your battles, friend, and learn the appropriate places to vent. Post a link and state, "I'm really pissed off about this" and you're golden. Rail on and you're handed a pink slip.
Please don't be the guy who disappears.
In the meantime, if Native American tribes had put aside their petty, internecine differences and banded together, everything would be different now.
Whose fault is that?
Fnord

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just want to take a moment to thank the American Indian for helping we European immigrants to enjoy the socially engaging process of tobacco ceremony.

Fill your peace pipes today and smoke a bowl in honor of the spirit of thanksgiving.

We take so much for granted, and smoking a bowl allows us to stop, momentarily, and contemplate the riches that are available to us all, thanks to sharing our diverse skills and attributes.

Peace.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My great grandmother on my mother's side was full blood Cherokee. My great grandmother on my fathers side was full blood Choctaw. If I do the math that makes me 1/8 Native American.
My belief is that since there is a treaty, if it gives all rights to the tribes, then the tribes should have a say in anything which happens on the land. I haven't read the treaties though so I don't know if the treaty covers everything. My guess would be that they are written in a manner which doesn't give the tribe as much control as they should have.
It's like buying property. You think you own they property but just wait until some developer wants to put a new mall up where you live and the local and state government takes your property through emminent domain.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Mayfair if its any consualation, any American who has any decency has shame tucked away in his heart for what was done to the Real Americans, my kin was evicted from their lands and depoisited along the East Coast, the Majority landed in Louisiana, mine came from France, Belgium , Germany Nova Scotia Taking the Bark off, it's done, don't leave, you got good speakings in you, Suck it up and Stay Friend.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Shut the fuck up

Thanks, Fnord. I need a good slap in the face once in a while. You are absolutely right. :puffy:

We take so much for granted, and smoking a bowl allows us to stop, momentarily, and contemplate the riches that are available to us all

Well said, Newbroom. That is the thread I should have started.

you got good speakings in you, Suck it up and Stay Friend

Thanks Tbrad. I wasn't planning on going anywhere, but as Fnord said, my little rant may have consequences. If I get booted, know I appreciate every last one of you folks. Even if I don't act like it.
So, are the mods still sleeping? Close this damn thing but don't delete it. I may need to read it to remind me not to be an ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.