PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
Hey guys!

This time, I wanted to talk about the very last draws of a pipe bowl/session...

For some reason, my last draws are the worst by far -the tobacco gets bitter, somehow spoiled, and I can barely smoke to the bottom, which, I've been told is crucial for a good cake build-up!

I smoke briar pipes, with 9mm Danish filters, and mostly aromatic tobaccos.

Could it be that I'm doing something wrong? In the end (1/4 of a bowl still on), excess moisture makes its way to the top of the stem, and the taste gets all the bitter!

I saw on a Youtube video another pipe smoker who said that briars actually tend to give bitter last draws,or, to paraphrase it closer to what he said, they are similar to cigarette taste in the end of the bowl.

So, he switched to cobs...

While I'm still waiting my Missouri Meerschaum order, I just wanted to see if it's me, my pipes, or a fact!

I'm now smoking Captain Black Gold...

Cheers :puffy:

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
FYI, I tamp as light as can be, I relight 3 times on average (when not engaging in a conversation),

and when the bowl is overheated, I give it a break (included in my relight count).

I use the three-step packing method, which works quite well for me so far!
I have observed that with Gold blends, the draws are really hot (I'm trying not to chain-draw),

almost always bite my tongue (temporarily) and lips...

Don't know guys, still a new smoker!

Thanks for your time!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I notice something similar when I smoke aromatics and let some time elapse between starting and finishing.
For ex., I can stop smoking an English blend in the middle and come back 30 mins later and it still tastes fine, but my aromatics will sometimes (not always) taste stale. You may want to experiment with other aromatics. A meerschaum could help too - don't know.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If you want a good draw guarenteed, get a corn cob pipe, they have the best draw of any pipes made. Also if you've packed your pipe and your draw is less than 70-100% of the draw it had before you packed it, then you packed wrong! After someone gave me that little tidbit of advice my enjoyment of the pipe has gone up by like tenfold! Whoever you are on these forums, I love you!
Most pipe tobaccos do taste bad at the very end of the bowl due to a buildup of the tar on the bottom, not everyone smokes this last little bit, especially with aromatics where it can get so wet, it simply won't stay lit when you get to that last little bit.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
if you find this to be a consistent problem try stirring up your toby and relighting so that the older toby is not all the way at the bottom. i have never had this problem so its just a guess.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
numbersix

Thanks for sharing!

I was actually thinking of adding a meer in my poor collection sooner or later!

Any cost-effective recommendations? (except for the Meerschaum Market, it is really not affordable for my pockets!)

Would you trust this site? Meerchaum Pipes from Europe

I think it's German! If you bother to take a look at it (you obviously don't have to!) thanks in advance!
Eric

I'm waiting for my MM order, 11 corn cobs in total!

I think I have improved my packing, now it's almost the same draw as when I start it, so it seems about right...

And with aromatics it does get wet! It's almost disgusting!
Thanks !

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
fshu2

I will try it, now that my pipe is broken-in and I'm more at ease with fiddling with the bowl!

It might as well be the time for me to try something other than aromatics, don't know...!

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Also if you've packed your pipe and your draw is less than 70-100% of the draw it had before you packed it, then you packed wrong! After someone gave me that little tidbit of advice my enjoyment of the pipe has gone up by like tenfold! Whoever you are on these forums, I love you!
Was on a packing thread where I asked about proper packing procedures and draw :)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@jaywellington I cannot comment on that site - sorry. They might be legit. Their prices seem very low, which makes me suspicious.
A cheaper place to start is with the tobacco. Perhaps experiment with some new aros, it's a lot cheaper and may fix the problem.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I actually find the last few draws to be the most well rounded and flavorful but that could be the tobacco i am smoking too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My flakes smoke great at the end of the bowl, the flavors get more intense the lower I go. I would suggest taking out the filter and trying some higher quality blends. I love the way my 9mm pipes smoke without the filter.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, it could be that you are doing something wrong, 2 things in fact: (wink, wink… ;) )

1. Using 9 mm filter – the filter has a finite capacity for the amount of moisture it can/will hold. Once that is reached, any and all moisture goes back into the pipe.

Solution is very easy: get rid of the filter, it works against you more than it does for you.

2. Smoking aros in a filtered pipe. Since there is not baccy that grows in the flavour of cherry, burbon, vanilla or any other flavour other than baccy, all the flavoring is an additive. When the draw through the pipe becomes restricted due to gunked up filter, pipes tend to smoke hotter, leading to formation of more moisture, leading to wet bottom pipes. Solution is easy again: get rid of the filter, make sure your pipes are super clean and the draft hole through the shank of the pipe is nice and open, and your problems should evaporate. To make the process an even more likely success, clean one pipe and put it aside for a couple of days so it is completely dry. Start out by smoking only a 1/3 or so bowl full of your favourite blend in it, making sure that you smoke slow, do not tamp too hard, and finish all that baccy in the bowl even if it takes a few relights. In the meantime, clean and dry other pipes and let them rest to dry out completely.

Hope that helps…..

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Most pipe tobaccos do taste bad at the very end of the bowl due to a buildup of the tar on the bottom, not everyone smokes this last little bit, especially with aromatics where it can get so wet, it simply won't stay lit when you get to that last little bit.
DITTO
I have found that when smoking fine aromatics (think Peterson's and anything that has fruity, nutty, coffee falvors). It is a nice pleasant smoking experience I have when I use a big bowl. In fact I am trying to purchase a johs Giant series as they are the biggest you can buy. When smoking one of these monsters it is perfectly fine to light, put down, come back, relight and so on all day long. No matter how you do it though the last little bit might taste bitter. But, I have heard that lighting and putting down with a really big pipe makes the bowl last forever and maintains the cool smoking experience you will learn to desire.
I also notice that small bowls get hot and produce way too much gurgle (water in stem and bottom of bowl) too quickly. But for flakes and serious pure tobacco blends a smaller bowl keeps you from being overpowered by the very strong flavors and nicotine levels you may run into along your smoking path with pipes.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
I would say that:
1. Tobacco's too wet, or

2. You smoke too fast
When your pipe is gurgling (moisture getting in the stem), try GENTLY blowing air through the stem (pushing back moisture in the chamber).

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
numbersix

Oh, you are right!

I am a new member, and I haven't as yet digested the forum's rules!

I didn't intend to violate them, sorry for the link...!!!

I don't trust them either though...

Thanks ! - I smoke mostly aromatics, because I like flavored tobacco and it is widely available in Greece, and I'm experiencing with different blends and brands!

Thanks for your time! :puffpipe:

tjameson

Lucky You! :D
cigrmaster

You see, I'm much concerned with health risks, and I'm trying to minimize them!

It is the only reason I keep on using filters, even though I've read and I've felt it myself that the taste is altered! (I smoked non-filtered once, it was way better, by faaaaaar!)

Is it true that the pipe filters the most hazardous substances anyway, and the filter is almost redundant?

Until I'm sure, I don't want to risk!

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
stanwellman

Your answer was really instructive!

Well, I replace the filter after each and every bowl, so I think that it shouldn't give off excess moisture?!

Anyways, I've heard so many times that removing the filter enhances smoking pleasure, but I was concerned with the health impact (as I wrote above, in another comment)...

What do you think?
So, apart from the filter and aromatics, do you suggest that, in a way, I rebreak-in my pipes? (cleaning them and smoking 1/3 etc).

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
I never make it that far Jay. Well here and there. Usually only when I am writing a review. I get 2/3 to 3/4 the way through and pitch the rest...
I see...

Well, sometimes I tend to want to do the same, and rarely even do it, but I feel as though I'm throwing away tobacco!!!!! (if, however, the taste is awful, well, right to the trash can!) :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.