PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've become more and more interested in pipe making over the last couple months. I've lurked on the pipe makers forums and have learned quite a bit. I'll for sure start with some kits and I certainly don't have any other motive aside from this just becoming a hobby. I started doing some you tube searches and here's where my rant comes in:
Are some of these people for real? I've seen everything from briar blocks launching across the room to guys darn near cutting their fingers off! Some comedy relief to be sure with some of these jokers. Now I have also seen and appreciate some of the better videos but they are few and far between. Can anyone shoot me some links or point me down a proper path to help me garner enough quality information to allow me to have half a chance at successfully completing one of these pipe kits?
Sorry for the rant thing and I would be indebted to anyone who can help me out, PM if needed and thanks for listening!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I wouldn't want to name names if you know what I mean. None are pipe carvers I've ever heard of but I'm assuming they are pipe smokers and I wouldn't want to embarrass them on a public forum myself. They have done a good enough job on their own by posting on you tube. Just do what I've done and search "pipe making" and spend an hour or 2 watching bits of them. Some have poor video quality and others have a blasting radio or TV playing while they are trying to guide the interested viewer through the various phases. One has a screaming kid in the next room. Again, not to discredit the better hobbyist or craftsman who have put together some decent tutorials and I'm not looking for any vault keys here, just some stepping stones. I guess I'm probably just an old curmudgeon when it comes to you tube or any of the social media sites and this recent voyage is the most time I've put into doing this type of search.
To think that people used to worry about us kids getting hurt because of the cartoons we watched in the 1960's. If that were true of you tube, there'd be fewer people on the planet and we wouldn't have traffic jams or back orders on pipe tobacco!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
AMEN brace. i think its completely stupid that people(dumb parents and mostly people that don't even have kids) think that video games and cartoons are why kids hurt themselves. Bad parenting is what gets kids hurt, in my case i had a great parent and will be teaching me first child coming in June that a healthy diet of ninja turtles, bugs bunny and those so called evil video games are not in any shape going to be considered reality. Maybe one day we will have talking bunnies with attitude but as far as i can see that's not anytime soon.
As for the people who make their own items, the tools are very dangerous and if mishandled can lead to serious injury or even death. I worked by a guy once who was turning off the grinder and turned his back to move on with the project and as he turned a piece of scrap metal( no bigger then a piece of hair in thickness) shot threw his eye project and got him in the iris of his eye. Thankfully he can see just fine but now one eye has color and the other eye doesnt have any blue in the iris.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you're putting something on youtube for the world to see, and someone laughs at you, it's fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.