PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Hello everyone!
I'm a bit new to pipe smoking. As many of you, some of my best memories of my grandfather was sitting in his den and watching TV while he smoked a pipe and the great smells that came with it. I wish i could have inherited his pipe or known what type it was, but some things are lost to the past. Either way, it wasn't until last year that i picked up the habit myself. I started with a very general "no name" black briar pipe with a straight stem, not a fan of smoke in the face or eyes, but it took time to get used to. Ive since bought a few others. My favorite now is a green bowl, Peterson Churchwarden which i love. Also, i have one that i haven't seen many others of on pipe site, Its a metal bowl interior with a ceramic outer bowl. Any info on this is helpful. I'm here to learn as much as i can. a do have a few questions. 1) are there filters made for churchwarden pipes? 2) any idea of the metal bowl pipe i have? 3) i've found that i like the flavors of Captain black white label, and the smokiness of Carter Hall, any suggestions of like style tobacco? I appreciate all the help guys and glad to be part of the site.
Josh B

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
First off welcome! I know someone will have answers but pictures will definitely help with pipe ID.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome, Josh!
I'm still relatively new myself, but in answer to your first question, if your churchwarden was designed to take a filter, it would have come with one. Peterson does make filtered pipes (the 9mm type favored in Europe), but I don't know whether they do a filtered churchwarden.
The metal-lined pipe sounds like it was intended for something other than tobacco, if you get my drift... They've long been sold as "novelty tobacco smoking" accessories (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), in order to keep the shops that sell them just this side of legal. There are ceramic pipes intended for tobacco out there (Lepeltier Pipes, for example), but they don't tend to be metal-lined.
I don't mind Captain Black white label myself, but there are other blends I like better. Haven't tried Carter Hall yet, but of the blends that fall into that category (OTC/Codger blends), I've enjoyed Prince Albert and Paladin. If you've got a local tobacconist, you might check with them for similar blends - or ask about completely different blends that you might like as well. Ordering a sampler from one of the site sponsors online is another way to expand your horizons a couple of ounces at a time.
In short - smoke what you like. :D

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1 on wanting pics. I'm betting the metal/ceramic thing is for "a really short smoke", if you catch my drift. For tobaccos, try Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake. It's kind of like Carter Hall with a sweeter, more robust flavor. Excellent stuff.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Here is a few pictures of the pipe.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/679118838/Elegant-Vintage-Durable-font-b-Marble-b-font-Men-s-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Smoker-Accessories-Y.jpg

http://www.image-tmart.com/images/1/13011613/13011613-4.jpg
Any ID might help. Also, I've used pipesandcigars.com quite a bit. Would it be best to try a bulk sampler like Lane 1Q ( pretty popular from what I've read) or stick with a tin sampler set?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, Josh. :clap:

The only advice I can give right now is: explore, explore, explore. Purchase small quantities and take notes.

Take this link to Luxury Tobacco Reviews, to see pipe tobacco organized by blend categories, which will serve as a guide.

ScreenShotLTR.jpg

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
@Cortez, thanks for the advice. It helped put things into a pretty good perspective. I found a Lane sampler I think I'll try for 20$ on P&C. Looking forward to making this a regular thing...and an addiction. Thanks again for the help. Now just to identify that pipe.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Well, I guess it's good to know the actual purpose for it. At least it was only 20$ at a shop on an Army Post in Afghanistan. Gives me a reason to buy something new and a story to go with this thing, lol. Thanks for the heads up.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The metal-lined pipe sounds like it was intended for something other than tobacco, if you get my drift...
Live and learn.
The most important Word being "live".
You are one tough character to be out there in Afganistan. If any man deserved a good smoke, it would be you.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Welcome! It took my over a year to find which style of pipe I enjoy the most. Your epic PAD and TAD are just beginning.

welsh1

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Hi Josh b I'm a newbie, I really like the Alsbo Cherry Pipe Tobacco

I guess being in the UK my choice is not as vast as yours

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
@Dottiewarden, thanks for the compliment. It's my life, i don't even think twice about it anymore.
@welsh1, I just came back from GBR, I wish i didn't need to leave. I can't wait to go back, but you may be right, the options for tobacco are a bit easier to get here, if you need recommendations, i'm more than willing to help where i can:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. I'm assuming you can buy online. Suggestions for blends for a new pipe smoker would be

to make your own selections among bulk tobaccos in small quantities. Bulk means it comes in a plastic bag,

and you can transfer it to canning jars (like the brands Mason or Ball) either screw lid or latch-downs, to make

it keep a little better. At this point, while you are sampling, I'd buy in 1 oz. quantities, so you don't end up

with a lot of tobacco you don't like, but keep any of it around for a while as your tastes might develop over

time. Also, sometimes you can mix blends and get something you'll like. A few blends I might suggest are

Lanes 1-Q you already know, but maybe instead or in addition to that, Lane's LL-7, which has a little more

lively flavor, but still very mild. Altadis Fox and Hound would be a good non-aromatic to try, no added

flavoring, but still mild, and/or Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge. I have a number of ideas for first tinned

tobacco, which is more expensive and available only in a slightly bigger quantity, but start with those, or

other selections Forums members have, and enjoy yourself. Don't order big quantities of blends you like.

Just make a note of them and keep sampling for six or eight months. Then go back and order four ounces

of your three or four favorites, and keep exploring the online retailers, brick and mortar shops, and maybe

a pipe show if you can find one accessible to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.