PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here's a fun little exercise. I have always been a sucker for a pipe with quality birdseye. I've owned one of the following pipes for several years, the other just arrived today from a recent e-bay purchase. Both have ample birdseye. One of them cost $500 and the other cost $15. I've covered the nomenclature in the pictures.......... Looking for any thoughts, comments, which one do you prefer and why? Which one is the Cheapo pipe and which is the expensive one?? I'll reveal the identities of the pipes tomorrow............. :puffy:
Pipe #1:

D5HkNXF.jpg

0L7qWqZ.jpg

y2fEc53.jpg

And Pipe #2:

Z3WiNWJ.jpg

e3LWIHF.jpg

uw78eq1.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This should get interesting. I also see bargain pipes with excellent grain and expensive pipes with similar grain.
I'm going to say #2 is the higher priced pipe. I think the grain on #2's rim is nicer and the birds eye is tighter.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Both are nice.
Stem work is also important in the decision.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I agree with Jason that the grain on #2 is tighter, so it's probably the more expensive pipe (although many other things would factor into the price).

But I prefer the birdseye on #1; it has more of the three dimensional effect that I like.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I'm with tuold. Number 1 looks most attractive to my eye, so I'd personally be willing to spend more money on it.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Wow. I have no idea.
I like the color of #1, but I'm thinking #2 might come across better in person. I would like to see more of both.
This is fun!!

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
no idea either - would love either in my collection. though I might like the first one more - because of the tone as much as the grain.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Beats me! Pipe #1 reminds me of a Castello Occhio di Pernice Dublin that I own, though the Birdseye on mine one is finer and more uniform. Pipe #2 has Birdseye more like the British pipes I own, Barling and Dunhill, both. They're both great looking pipes. No clue.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Odd, I actually see pits in both pipes. I'm with Sable on one of them being an Occhi de Pernice. I thought that before I even read his post, so we're thinking along the same lines. I'd choose #1 to be the more expensive pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Based on possible pits in pipe No.1, I'll guess the second is the pricey one. And I'll give you four times what you paid for the cheapo, whichever it happens to be!
(Are the white spots in the first photo blemishes, or photo artifacts?_
Great post/quiz/thought-provoker!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well that was fun!

Pipe # 1.......... A Kaywoodie Flame Grain, 3 hole stinger, shape #08. I just got this yesterday, the buyer listed it as unsmoked, but it was clearly smoked at least once. I'm not complaining though, its the best grain I've ever seen on a Kaywoodie, and honestly don't know why it got the Flame designation........ :crazy:

Here's a link to the ebay listing, the seller's pictures are a bit better than mine.....
Kaywoodie
Pipe #1:

pIyicxH.jpg

And Pipe #2, a Castello Occhio di Pernice Dublin. In hand, I really prefer the Kaywoodie's Birdseye looks, but the Castello smokes like a dream.............. :puffy:
TN2I1nx.jpg

Thanks for playing along, that was fun!!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
This was fun. We should play guess the el cheapo more often.
Gorgeous pipes. This just goes to show you don't have to pay a fortune to get a nice pipe.
Now, can we see a full shot of the pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.