PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
The very thing that brought me here was my first Google of a pipe smoking question. Up came PipeMagazine. Being a member now since Thanksgiving and after buying two pipes just recently with badly tarnished stems, I went straight to google and did a search so as I could find my pipesmagazine response. (Googling a pipe topic is the best way to find old site posting here).
Anyway, with my search result found I saw all the old faces I see today, and I quickly found all the info I needed to get my stems in awesome shape inside and out. If you have asked a question, written a response, or written an article on pipe refinishing or stem repair ..... my thanks to you!!!
current_repairs.jpg

The first pipe is a savoy that the stem was so evenly brown I thought it was its natural color, and almost didn't buy the pipe because I wished the stem was black. :P Surprise Surprise Surprise
The second is a Pete that was spotted like it had been in a flood.
The third is a Dr Grabo Bucko that I am refinishing through the advice from this site.
A question to add to the internet and site library. Has anybody tried cloths dye instead of shoe dye for a staining product? I have the prior more accessible then the shoe.
Thanks to all, and I wish I had the time to grab specific handles to specifically thank. There are though to many to find.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on your clean up of those burners.
I've never used a cloth dye for pipes. I think one of the things that works with aniline dyes is the evaporative properties. I flame the stain to fix the dyes in the briar. Are cloth dyes alcohol based?
-- Pat

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Great looking pipes... I've always used Fiebings alcohol based leather dyes. Just make sure to tape the bowl so you don't get any excess in the chamber to mull up your first dozen smokes. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.