PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My "best" pipes so far are Dr. Gradow's, I have four different ones and I am not unhappy with them.

Seems like the longer I use them the better they get.
But I would like to consider a "better" pipe, I really think I would like to try a Peterson, but am not stuck on the idea. My big issue is that I really don't like buying online. Our bank accounts have been hacked two times in two years, from online purchases, the latest this month.

Both of these where major retailers. So I am just about set on never ordering anything online again. Maybe I will back off that after the blood dries, we will see.
In the mean time, where can I look local to me? I have called around and really can't find much. I am near Louisville, KY. But I would consider a road trip. I will get some time off here at the end of the year and would like to look at my options...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Great shop in Lexington, KY called Schwabb's Pipes and Stuff on Southland Drive. I live in Mt. Sterling, and am in there constantly. The owner is Jeff Schwabb, and is great to BS with, not to mention the large selection of pipes and tobacco as well as a huge walk-in cigar humidor. Highly recommended!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Do you use a filter with the Grabows or no filter? A Grabow with no filter has a very open draw. The Peterson you pick might not be that open. They're pretty pipes, though, and always seem to taste better than the Grabows I've had. Good luck finding a retailer, though. I'd be surprised if there isn't at least one good one in Louisville.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As far as online buying, I have one of those Walmart Visa cards that I load with my pipe and tobacco acquisition money for when I see something I like. I'm paranoid about hacking too. :wink:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
You might find "an expensive pipe" but Grabow's are hard to beat. I have pipes brands from A to Z, but more expensive doesn't always mean a better smoking pipe. If you're looking to upscale a bit, I recommend Savinelli. All my Savs smoke great, look great, and didn't break the bank. With that said, I still have several Dr Grabows in my regular rotation.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I like all of my Grabows. I don't use a filter with them, and find that the draw is just fine. I have one Peterson that I like very well. I also have one full-bent pipe, made out of pear wood. That one has a very open draw, if I don't use a filter with it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have had some decent luck checking the antique stores / malls.
Also, members here are selling pipes all the time in the "For Sale" section.
If you want a better smoking pipe vs better looking ... go for a couple of cobs! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both Iwan Ries and Pipes and Cigars have handsome catalogs printed on paper that they send out on request.

You can contact them online and ask for one, or give them a call. Then you can use both the hard copy catalog

and the online pictures to buy something, either using the paper order form in the catalog or ordering by phone.
The pipe show suggestion is also a good one. I'm not sure which show is closest to you, but the advantages of

that are that you can see the pipes in person; you can talk to a number of venders and see many pipes before

you buy anything; most venders give good discounts at pipe shows; and you will have the benefit of attending

a pipe show for information and sociability. The downside is, you have to be careful not to overspend, which

is easy at shows.
With Petersons, be careful to get the bit you want. Maybe a third of what they sell are so-called P-lip bits. I have

one and enjoy it, but one is enough for me. Of course, some pipe smokers want nothing but P-lips.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would drive up to Straus tobacconist in Florence Kentucky. Top notch shop with top notch pipes and top notch people selling them.
Also a good point from newbie that most of the online sites have a toll free number you can order through as well if you're weary of using a debit/credit card online. I've done that with Cup O Joes and they were wonderful about it. Ordered my Peterson Dracula pipe that way.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Thanks for all the great ideas!
Using the store locator here on the site I have spoken to two different shops.
One I visited last year, but they moved their location shortly after and I lost track of them.

The owner offered me a deal on a NOS Savinelli over the phone. That shop is closest to me, even after their move.

He also has a pretty good selection of tobacco's in the store, that is what brought me there last year.
Also spoke with a shop north of me about 60-70 miles. Their selection will be much greater than the closer shop.

They also have the Peterson Christmas pipes in stock. As well as the Peterson Christmas Tobacco.

I am off work this Friday, might have a road trip in my near future. I wanted to wait till after Christmas, but I am not sure that I can...

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Get a Paypal acct...so you can shop all over...let your fingers do the clicking..

Its nice to give the local tobacconist business..but its not always convenient.

You will find a lot online for those times when you cant make a drive.

Ive had an acct for over 10 years..and I tell you its a safe easy way to pay.

But enjoy the drive and the visit as well.

If its not your style..then its not..in the end I suppose its what your comfortable with

especially if you stock up and only buy a few times a year then I suppose you may have found

your solution..
Pipes- Stanwell, Savinelli,Dunhill. :)

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
UPDATE: Turns out I couldn't wait. My wife and I went Christmas shopping today.

I visited yet a third shop, and they had Peterson's but where out of Christmas pipes.
But I found one I really liked the looks of.

The shop also blends its own Christmas Tobacco, for one month only each year.

I got a bag, and a new pipe the shop owner seemed like a real nice guy too.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I don't think anything beats the experience of going to a Brick and Mortar store to select a pipe. That way, you can see and hold and drool over some wonderful peices. Good choice, btw.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Smoked a bowl of their Christmas blend, the pipe smoked great! The blend was also top notch.
The draw was easy, and I had the least number of relights of any bowl I have even smoked.
The mouth hole in the pipe in on the top, it seems to work great. The clinch is a little more

difficult mostly because of the small stem. But part of it is just getting use to it.
I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.