PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Greetings all.
Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who responded to my first thread the other week. You offered me a wealth of advice and encouragement from this community to get me started and over the hump of my initial pipe smoking experiences.
I'm pleased to share I've been able to adjust my techniques for packing, tamping, and also my understanding of tobacco blends. I found a blend recently that smokes beautifully in my pipe, and decided to give back by writing a review that other beginners may find helpful.
The review is here (the one marked by 'smgorden' 01/08/2013): Full Review
The summary is it's incredibly mild and smooth. Almost more important than that... this blend stays lit so well that it should help a beginner by removing the frustration of frequent relights.
In the full review linked above, I tried to cover all the aspects I've found most helpful in other reviews. Let me know what you think. Cheers!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's very good information. You picked out the bready and occasionally spicy tendencies of Burley very well, too! Lane Limited is really good at making mild, palatable blends. You should try MV-1000, too. It's a mild Virginia blend with a touch of vanilla. It's a really good and not bitey intro to Virginias.

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks baronsamedi! That was my first burley, and I almost didn't buy. But I was curious and my brother encouraged me to go ahead and give it a go. Due to my trepidation, it was much better than expected and made for a good sharing blend with my brothers.
On the specifics of burley: I didn't know that 'bready' and 'spicy' tendencies were common to burley, but it's pretty amazing to me that this blend stays mild and bready in the mouth and only gets spicy if you let into your nose directly.
Thanks for the recommendation on the MV-1000. I'll make a note of that.
I'm branching out into some JM Boswell aromatic blends next. Boswell's Best and Pom Holiday. Some thread on here linked to a Pom Holiday review that I found fascinating so I think that one will go over well with my wife. The Boswell's Best just sounds like a delicious classic. I'll make sure to put up a review once I've properly sampled them. Order went through today, I was told I'd have it by Thursday!

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
You're welcome!
I'm enjoying the ability to make a contribution to this community as I delve into this subtle art.

Status
Not open for further replies.