PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruwithapipe

Lurker
Mar 12, 2013
Hello, It is just amazing to see what a passionate group of individuals are here for the same passion that I just got indulged in- Pipe smoking!. However I am new user with a pipe as well as the forum. The 'guruwithapipe' is just a username as my first name is guru. All I know is I have got a meerschaum pipe(hopefully it is not a bad choice for a beginner). I am quite lost on how to start. Do I have to clean the interior of the pipe as when I rub the inside of the pipe, I get a slight chalk dust (not sure if that is the term) and was wondering on how to clean it. Secondly what is a recommended flavour to start with?. How does one start from the scratch? Please do guide me oh gurus of the pipe world. Cheers.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Welcome to the board! I don't have any experience with meerschaum pipes but you're in the right place to find out everything you want to know about this fabulous pastime.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome Guru to the site. You will find a great bunch of people here.
A Meer is a great first pipe, but they are different from briars in a number of ways; one of which is you don't want to build up cake (the tobacco residue that builds up on the inside of the bowl). Never use water in cleaning (a meer will disintegrate under water) and try not to even use alcohol either.
So I usually wipe mine out wi h a pipe cleaner and a paper towel. Also, be careful not to push the pipe cleaner in too hard or you may dig away some of the interior bowl. Feel free to ask more questions. Also, there's lots of info on this site, but I would look for it via Google's search engine (this forum's search isn't the greatest).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to pipe smoking and the forums! :clap:

At the top of the left hand column of this page you will find the "Search On Site" box. Enter White Goddess for some articles on meerschaum.

Just below the "Search On Site" box is a link to Tobacco Reviews. Take the link, and in the left hand column of the LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com homepage you will see tobaccos organized by category. Use it as a guide in your exploration of the vast field of pipe tobacco blends.

ScreenShotLTR.jpg

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Welcome guruwithapipe,

I have been smoking a pipe for about 4+ months and greatly enjoy it. For me the best choices for beginning smoking a pipe would be to pick up a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe (DO NOT BUY A KNOCKOFF), they require zero break in time, are inexpensive and smoke nice and cool. Also try to avoid aromatics at first as they will tend to "bite a bit and most do not have nearly as much flavor as you would think by the great aroma, pick up a pouch of Carter Hall. And lastly search this forum for ANY questions you may have and ask alot of questions. You will be amazed at the knowledge you will find here on this forum, a great group of people.

Welcome to the Club and Happy Puffing.

Kent

guruwithapipe

Lurker
Mar 12, 2013
I am just loving the prompt response here. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia,so this weekend or possibly before that- go for pipe shop hunting. Does one need a pipe tamper tool? Much appreciated.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
05venturer hit the head on the nail. PIck up a few Missouri Meers (MM's). You will find that even very experienced smokers have a few of them. They're fantastic pipes for all levels. After you get a few MM's, spend the money on 1 or 2 oz of tobacco to try. Try everything and see what you like. Some love English Blends, some love Virginia's, and others like me prefer Aromatics. Try everything but don't throw anything away since your tastebuds will change and mature. Welcome.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard! A meet is a great pipe as it doesn't need breaking in, unlike a briar wood pipe. They are rather fragile and will tend to break if dropped or given a hard knock. Also, as already mentioned, they should be kept away from water at all costs.
My tip to the new pipe smoker is always the same. Make a note of the blends you try as well as what is in the blend and what you think of it. That way you can see which types of tobacco suit your tastes and which you aren't keen on. After a while, revisit some of the blends you didn't like to see if your tastes have changed.
Have fun and enjoy!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. We have many friendly members to help you at all times.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum and brotherhood of the briar.
Can't help too much with meer maintanence but, definitely listen to the above advice.
As for getting started I definitely second picking up a few cobs as they're usually very affordable pipes that smoke well and increase your rotation. Also, since they're not too pricey they're good to try out blends. A lot of times briars will be ghosted by aromatics and if you're just starting out that can throw off how an English or Virginia blend tastes. Another way to increase your rotation affordably is through estates. There's the ever popular eBay as well as briarbid.com which is setup by Kevin and many online retailers have an estate listing on their sites too. This is a way to get quality briar pipes at a cheaper price.
In the world of pipe tobacco I suggest getting some sampler packs. There's so many types of blends on the market today that you really should give each of them a try. Keep an open mind and give an aromatic a go, an English, a Virginia/Perique, a straight Virginia, a Burley, and some Balkan blends a try. The one thing I would warn against if you don't have a built up tolerance to nicotine is staying away from blends like 1792 or Irish Flake in the beginning as they have been known to overpower people and cause nausea and such to those who haven't worked their tolerance up yet.
The best advice I think a beginner can hear is be patient and relax with the pipe, it's what a pipe was meant for. Don't let yourself get frustated with relights and packing and so forth. That all comes with experience and practice by trial and error. If you do start to have difficulties with packing and keeping the pipe lit and such checkout the other topics in this thread. They're very helpful.
Again welcome to the forums and the pipe world. Enjoy!

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
Welcome aboard! A pipe tool will definitely help out as well and save you finger. They don't cost a lot and should be easy to get where you get your pipes. Have fun exploring all the pages on here and all the new flavors you will find. :D

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forum Guru,
I am new as well and can tell you this is the friendliest forum I have ever been involved with. Everyone makes you feel welcome and folks are willing to provide guidance to make sure you don't make the same mistakes they did when they started.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hello and welcome!
I'm still pretty new here as well, but I can tell you you'll definitely want a pipe tool - the 'standard issue' Czech tool has pretty much everything you'll need - a tamper (to gently level/compact the tobacco and ash), a pick (to loosen up a pack that's too tight - just be careful with the pick on that meer), and a scoop for scraping the inside of the bowl (again, I'll defer to the experts on whether this is of any use on a meer, but it's good for briar/cob maintenance, where cake is desirable but needs to be managed). There are other options as well, but it's a good place to start.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Welcome to the forums! In my opinion, a meerschaum pipe is an excellent starting point. Just be gentle! A quick wipe of the chamber with a dry paper towel after smoking will keep it clean and ward cake buildup. I also find that I can change tobacco quite easily in my meers without residual taste, so I'm a huge fan.
Enjoy your time here. :puffpipe:

guruwithapipe

Lurker
Mar 12, 2013
Ok.I know one thing is true. This forum must be the most friendliest one I have ever been on and so welcoming. Apse bi romeowood :D. When it comes to tobacco, do all of them come with flavouring such as Raspberry, Vanilla and such?. Is there a specific 'cut' that is better with the meer. Once again this forum is the first right step I took after getting a pipe.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If you're looking for aromatics, I'd point you towards Boswells.
http://www.boswellpipes.com/tobaccoblends.html
I've never had any myself, but there is quite a following among aromatic smokers that these are extremely well done aros. And at $3 an ounce I'd say it's a great price.
Welcome to the forums. Have fun! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.