PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I just started in May and wanted to say how helpful the topics and your insights in the forums have been to me. I started with a single briar and a some tins of Dunhill EMP, London Mixture and Mixture 965 from reviews/suggestions on the board. Really love the London and 965.....EMP is a bit wet. Just sent in an order for some corn cobs and a few aros to try.
Question about filters......some pipes have them some don't. Is it better to smoke certain types in filtered pipes? Would you lose some flavor of aromatics using a filtered pipe? Is the filter just there to help with moisture and smooth the smoke out?
Thanks

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome to the forums.
You'll find most North American pipe smokers are staunchly anti-filter, while many European pipe smokers prefer a filter pipe. The types of filters available are wide ranging from the 9mm pepper filters favoured by Ruropean pipe factories, to the Savinelli balsa filters and the Brigham rock maple filters. Each filter works slightly differently from a design and engineering perspective. Most manufacturers report that their filter system leads to a dryer smoke, with less tongue bite. Many pipe smokers will tell you that you'll enhance your smoking (cooler and dryer) more effectively by adjusting how you pack, tamp, light and sip/smoke your bowl; that filters alone can't compensate for good technique.
Try pipes with and without filters, and smoke what you like.
-- Pat

May 4, 2015
Hehe, I see what you snuck in there, Pat.
And I agree with all of that whole heartedly. Even with cobs, some dudes use filters, some people toss them.
Try it all and decide what you dig. Hell, I may even like filters, but I'll probaby never know because I'm much too lazy to futz with them all the time.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Hello and welcome from another relative newbie! Seems you're off to a great start with the London Mix and 965, just wait 'till you discover Dunhill Nightcap. Mmmm Nightcap... :puffy: One thing about filters, you'll find they work best when changed pretty regularly, usually every couple smokes or so depending on pipe size and filter type.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Filters are something you'll have to decide in for yourself. There are a few different kinds and they all behave differently from the others. There are a few dedicated filter smoking pipe folk in the US but as stated, most prefer non-filtered pipes. If you buy say a Savinelli, try the filter and then the filter adapter (which makes it filter less) and beyond that it's a good idea to check and see if the pipe manufacturer you choose offers an adapter for their pipes. Design/Berlin does, Bjorne Viking does, Savinelli, etc.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Looks like your questions got answered nicely so I'll just say welcome to the forum. :puffy:

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I to welcome you to the forum an agree with them all plus another advantage of filters is that you can smoke stronger blends . it takes some of the kick out of them. good luck!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome, prairiedruid.
Try pipes with and without filters, and smoke what you like.
Ditto, Pat

pablohoney

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
I'm just starting out myself, but have tried two different types of filter so far, and found that it's kind of a mixed bag.
The paper Dr. Grabow filters don't seem to accomplish much more than reducing your draw. They get a bit moist and turn brown, so they're definitely capturing something -- but it didn't seem to help reduce the bite when I used them.
On the other hand, I've used Vauen 9mm filters, and they made it possible for me to dip my toe in to English blends. Were it not for that baby step, I'd never know the joy of Squadron Leader unfiltered.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I tried different types of filters during the years and decided it wasn't for me. The German type active coal filters are probably the only ones that effectively will lower the nicotine levels but they had a negative effect on the aroma and the others will mainly absorb moisture. So the question is, what you try to accomplish by using a filter. I think everything that a filter does can be achieved by adapting smoking habits and techniques. If you worry about nicotine smoke less or stop altogether. If it's moisture or tongue bite then smoke slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.