Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Some people just think of their pipes as the thing they smoke tobacco out of ... and that's fine as long as you are enjoying it. Others appreciate the design of their pipe just as much as the fine tobacco they smoke in it. And then there are the pipe enthusiasts that have that special eye for artistic detail. They can point out things you didn't see - how lines form, and curves unite ...
Personally, I'm in the second group. I appreciate a finely crafted pipe, but I don't have the super keen artistic eye. Where do you fall? While you're thinking about it, check out Butch's new article.
A Beautifully Crafted Pipe

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
While I appreciate the art portion of pipe smoking, I also appreciate that it can be accomplished with utilitarian pipes I can afford.

I take most of my artistic pleasure vicariously. I'm more of a pipe voyeur than a collector at my pay grade.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
All of us go for looks to some degree, after all you don't get to smoke it until you buy it. I carry it a bit further, I know some pipe styles feel better in my hand than others, and I tend to buy that style over and over - that's where appearance comes in. I'm a sucker for Birdseye. So I'd say that feel, then looks are priority for me. The smokability is personal. After all, If a pipe doesn't smoke well for one person, it might be the "perfect" pipe for someone else.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
I would fall in line with the third group. I enjoy taking a critical eye to a pipe. Every aspect of a pipe can be judged and praised!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I guess I'm a little of one and two, probably with a stronger leaning to one. I do appreciate a finely crafted pipe but how it smokes is the ultimate deciding factor. My collection comes in two parts, the pipes I think are beautiful reflections of the pipe maker's art and those I smoke all the time.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
For those who think a artistic pipe is too expensive might wanna check this guy out.
https://www.facebook.com/marinko.neralic
I prefer the classic shapes. But his work is great and the prices for what I looked at were in the mid $200 range.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Also our very own Zak24 makes some great pipes and not at insane prices.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I can appreciate the art and the function. Now don't get me wrong we've all had somerough smokers, and some amazing ones, some real lookers and some ugly ducklings. However, some of the ugly ones are great smokes and vice versa, but it seems that when the quality is there can see past the flaws and appreciate the function, the smooth, cool smoke, the solid draw and what eventually leads to just a great smoke that kills time and often makes you get "lost in the clouds". As we've all said many times, smoking can almost be existential, and it's function is our goal. Lastly, I've have had some pipes that just hit both the marks dead on, and you can take that smooth draw then look at the shape, flow of the stem, dye and grain on the bowl, and the way it just sits in your hand. This just gives you the same feel as a great functioning pipe. So...yes I'm on both sides!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have to admit, that when I first came across Bruce Weaver's work, I originally dropped the extra cash on a commission just because I thought his pipes and blast techniques were gorgeous. Have three now, with a forth currently being carved, and have to say that they smoke as well as they look!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"I don't know art, but I know what I like."
If a pipe does not have the right shape and proportion, it'll never leave the wall or cabinet in a pipe shop. I stand where I can see the pipes and scan fairly rapidly the choices. If my eye pauses I'll ask for the pipe to inspect further. So, I suppose I'm on the artsy side of the debate. A pipe must fit my eye before I would have an interest in examining further.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I get no respect [here]. I never have. Since day one of my membership my comments following the actual article(s) have always ended up in limbo, or a spam filter of some kind, until someone blunders into the blog control room and frees my thoughts. So, until that happens once again, you'll never know how the article moved me. :lol:
ps. ...and yes, I do pay the full subscription price for the privilege of logging on to the un-crippled version of the software!

Status
Not open for further replies.