A Barling Rather Than A Barling's

(6 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by owen
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I exchanged a few words with Sablebrush yesterday on another thread about the time following the Family Period. This is a recently acquired Barling which has some characteristics of my Barling's Make pipes. Hopefully illustrating the point Sablebrush makes on Pipedia that the quality didn't disappear overnight and that nice pipes for good prices are available.

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All I can say is that the stem needs some TLC but the grain on that pipe is impressive. I like it!

Posted 11 months ago #
  3. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same here, the grain on the briar looks very nice. The stem should clean up nicely too. I've seen much worse examples polish up very well.

Posted 11 months ago #
  4. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Piece of cake, should clean up nicely!

Al

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A very good example Owen.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 11 months ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi Owen,

Perfect example. This pipe has a cursive or script Barling logo. No apostrophe and no "s". This change of nomenclature came about as part of a revamped line that was announced in November of 1962. By this time, Finlay had removed the Barling family from any active role in running the company, and brought in management from their own company. In February of 1963, Finlay would be absorbed by Imperial when Imperial exercised its option to purchase the rest of the Finlay stock it didn't already own.

People think that somehow the quality immediately went down, but that's not exactly the case, and while the quality eventually did suffer due to the increase in product ranges and productivity, a lot of excellently made pipes continued to be made in the two Barling factories.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 11 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   5star, cortezattic, peckinpahhombre, timt, jeff540, pappymac, lasttango, celticbrewer