banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » Make Your Own Pipe Project

Tags:  No tags yet. 

A Back Woods Pipe

(24 posts)
  1. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

Hello all, I'm sure most of you will think this is a very crude attempt at pipe making. My goal was to make a pipe that might have been made in the wilderness. To that point I think it fits the goal.

So what do you all think?

As my Drill Sergeant would say when I was in boot camp.... "Smoke em if ya got em"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like you hit the mark!

Now tell us a little bit more about the materials and the process.

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ooooo doggie! I think that hit a couple of purdy sticks on the way down.

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like it tho! I imagine if you wanted to be really rustic, you'd have to lose the plastic bit and used something completely organic and natural... horn? Quill? Seashell? Bone? Reed?

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

Well the pipe bowl is made of Maple I believe, but to be a 100% sure I have to go with only 80% sure. The shank is made out of???

The bowl started as a failed walking stick/cane that I made a bit to short, but never tosed out. After I cut the length I wanted I drilled the shank hole to about the middle of the pipe body. With that done I used the vertical mill at my work place to create the tobacco chamber. The chamber depth is above the hole for the shank so that it could allow a clean transition between the two areas. The two minor errors I made I believe was making the bowl bottom flat and the draft hole a bit to big. I used Boiled Linseed Oil for the finish and was careful not to get any into the bowl chamber or the draft. It seems to smoke well, but I'm a novice at that so I could be totally off the mark.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bowl bottom could be an issue, but I tend to like a larger draft hole, tbh. But hey, if it smokes well, enjoy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

@ jerwynn, I agree that a totally rustic one wouldn't have a plastic bit. Though I'm going with the idea the woodsman broke his pipe some how and had the bit from it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

Bowl bottom could be an issue, but I tend to like a larger draft hole, tbh. But hey, if it smokes well, enjoy!

I was thinking if I pipe mud the bottom I could round it out some.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That could definitely work and give a little insulation in the process

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it. Looks mostly like an old Ropp, but more rustic.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It as an authentic look. If it breaks in well and doesn't show any signs of burning out (I don't think it will) you might want an acrylic stem for it, since plastic chews out fairly soon. Maple does pretty well as a pipe bowl I hear.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great first attempt. Couple suggestions. The pith (center part of a piece of wood) will crack as it dries. That will ruin the pipe. Also be very sure what type of wood you are using. Some woods can actually hurt you. Keep trying.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. bentbob

bentbob

Login to Send PM

My "back woods" pipe. Unfortunately not made by myself but a circa 1890 Ropp. Only problem with it is that it is absolutely HUGE!

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

@ winton, Thanks for the suggestions and if the wood I used isn't dry then there is a real issue .... I've had all the wood I used in my house for over 3 to 4 years. Now as far as the types I doubt either are of the toxic families...

I've seen the list of woods from the link you posted and it seems a bit confusing sort of...

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cbates, I would smoke the living heck out of that pipe! I love it!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn brother that is an awesome and totally "woodsy" looking pipe.
    I can totally see my self smoking a pipe like that when camping or other wise enjoying the great outdoors.
    Nice work!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

I want to thank all of you that have given feed back about this pipe. I have learned much from it and know the next one will be better in a couple areas...

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hits the mark of a wilderness project except for the stem.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

Pipe mud is some amazing stuff that can fix errors and flaws. What once was a flat bottom chamber is now properly rounded out with the draft hole at the bottom center more or less.

I couldn't get my hands on any cigar ash so I tried some cigarette ash with water and it seems to work. Time will tell how durable it is, but so far it has seem to set up hard.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. tinbird

tinbird

Login to Send PM

New guy here, your pipe looks great IMHO, how does it feel while holding it? I'm looking at trying to make a pipe myself and this one has convinced me that it's just the right thing to do!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipe.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. cbates55

cbates55

Login to Send PM

New guy here, your pipe looks great IMHO, how does it feel while holding it? I'm looking at trying to make a pipe myself and this one has convinced me that it's just the right thing to do!!!

It is easy to clench in your teeth, but is much nicer to just hold it as you smoke it. The beauty of it is you can set it down on any flat surface if you need to get it out of the way. I learned a couple thing while making it that will make the next one much better. Hope this answers your question.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. tinbird

tinbird

Login to Send PM

Yes, your response is great, I can just imagine sitting by a campfire or on the deck in the evening and enjoying one of the finer things in life with a pipe like yours.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, paulfg, cortezattic, cshubhra, pitchfork, georged, agnosticpipe, malicev, railman, sumusfumus, jerrynyc, catyrpelius, jiminks, olkofri, warren, ssjones