Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

72 Chevy Startup

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

Recently my oldest son and I were at a local truck show. After the show he asked me if we could get an old 72 Chevy Cheyenne truck running that I have had in the barn for years. It was one of those requests that you just can't say no to, partly because he has not really shown much interest in working on old cars and partly because he's my son.
    Well, we hooked the chains to it and pulled it out of the barn with the tractor. After half a can of wasp spray and 1 sting (me)we went to work on it. Yesterday we removed and drained the gas tank, replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the rats nest out of the breather, and checked the fluids.
    This morning we primed the gas lines, put a battery on it and sprayed some starter fluid in the carb. After a couple of attempts the old truck fired right off and ran. No weird noises, no excessive smoke. It even idled as it should.
    The look on my sons face when the old truck fired off was one I will never forget. Surprise then a big smile and a look of accomplishment.
    Now we have to figure out where the tranny is leaking from. We should have a good time as we continue working on the old 72.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

necron99

Login to Send PM

Cool, them old Chevy motors are tough. Its hard to hurt one. Your leak is likely the front seal which sux because it means pulling the tranny but its not a bad idea anyway. You can put it on a bench and pull the pan and clean that bigger up in side and out. Throw new seals in and you can count on it being dependable.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand
    Milton Freidman
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love it, nothing like it, did it with my oldest boy. He"s grown into a damn fine man, yours will too.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That old truck will help shape that young man. Glad to hear the story.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Makes me miss my '76 K5 Blazer.

Great story for sure. My 7 year old son is convinced he wants to grow up and drive my 2010 Silverado

Mike
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

necron99

Login to Send PM

While ya got the tranny out go a head and pull
    the heads off and pop some new valve seals on.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. grouchydog

grouchydog

Login to Send PM

Cool story! Pics?

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

natenice1

Login to Send PM

Yes he will be a fine young man! He will be able to set the ignition point gap with a matchbook and know that a needle has more use than sewing and a seat is something you don't only sit on!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

Worked on the truck again today with my son. I think the tranny leak was coming from a bad pan gasket.
    He now knows how to change the transmission filter and fluid in a Th350 and correctly replace and seal a pan gasket.
    I also looked up the engine block ID stampings. Turns out the engine is from a 1972 Z28 ...kinda cool.
    Now we are going to look for a less dented truck bed.
    The boy is having fun and so am I!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear the old Chev still has life. Great father and son project! My Dad had the camper special version of that trucks and most of the box was riveted Amphora tins lol.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. tlag77

tlag77

Login to Send PM

That is really awesome, always wished my dad would have done stuff like this with me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. macabra11

macabra11

Login to Send PM

I didn't grow up with a father, so I have absolutely zero memories like this. I wouldn't even know where to begin to get an old vehicle up and running. I am good at yelling though. lol

Congratulations on your new project lawmax. Don't take these moments with your son for granted, because he will cherish them for all his life.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

"Pull the Tranny"?? What kind of thread did I stumble into?

Seriously, what a great story .......... You're building a man.......not a truck.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   elpfeife, craig61a, canucklehead, oldtoby, trudger, yuda, gerryp, lightxmyfire, bluegrassbrian, rsobel993, ajohnb, lochinvar, cossackjack, jiminks