$6500.00 Chonowitsch

(82 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by saltedplug
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sold today on smokingpipes. In fact I think they had one or two more of his pipes on the site a few days ago. Somebody out there who smokes the pipe has a disgusting amount of money. My hat's off to you for your worldly success, but I think that such a price so far exceeds the utility of the item and is so far beyond any reasonable standard of value as to be laughable, or more properly, sick.

$6500.00 is ten $600.00 pipes, half a year's rent, and over a year's supply of groceries.

Everyone should do what they want and smoke the pipes and tobaccos they favor, but to me such prices are ridiculous, and the people who pay them moreso.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

At a certain point, don't creations like this cease to be simple delivery devices and become works of art? Who knows, maybe some wealthy individual sent forth a minion with the instructions to "but the most expensive pipe they have!". Shame he wasn't looking at Pulvers Briars and a couple of $10,000 pipes Marty has.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Meeh..I love wealthy people- if I win the huuuge lottery tonight I pledge to buy 30 pipes for $100k...and post pictures!..:and if you had $100k to spend on pipes- what 30 pipes would you buy? (Makes for a nice 30 day rotation)

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

I think it says something about life, when a $15 dollar cob pipe smokes as well, if not better, than such a pipe. What's the old saying? Money can't buy happiness...

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's inflation.

The high-end luxury goods and collectibles market is where inflation is the most evident...simply because that's where all the disposable income is.

The middle-class has been pretty much bled dry.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Al Pascia has a $10,000 Dunhill, and saw a Nordh go for over $40,000 a few years ago. I used to regularly spend between $400 and $700 on pipes, but have settled into an obsession with estate yacht pieces. Expense depends on pocket depth.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phhht, $6500 is like, just a couple of pairs of shoes, maybe a month's groceries, a car payment... You poor people just whine, whine, whine...

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

AAAAAAaaaaaaaand... here we go again.

This "subject" hasn't a single drop of blood left in it.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Oh, the discount Chonowitsch finally sold. Yeah, it's tough times out there.

Seriously though, we have this discussion periodically about ultra high end pipes and ultra high end prices. It's important to have one's priorities straight. For example, $6500 would provide a lot of food and medication to at risk kids, but what would be the fun in that? There are a lot of at risk kids, no shortage, and if those croak out for a lack of funds because of the Chonowitsch, there will always be more needing help next week. But there just aren't that many discount Chonowitsch pipes, there just aren't.

It's not that the $6500 Chonowitsch smokes THAT much better than a Dr Grabow, but it's cool to have that kind of money to drop on a pipe. And the pipe might not even ever get smoked. After all, that would ruin the investment value. Just put it on a shelf with some flattering lighting. In a few years it can be sold for even more.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man, it is hard work trying to put together my Jess Chonowitsch 7-day pipe rotation! When these 6500 dollar pipes last a day or two, maybe three; his bargain basement 3000 dollar cheapo-creations last at best a refresh or two on SP.com! Oh the Chonowitsch conundrum ... it's at times like this when I think 'what would Peck do?'

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$6500 is like, just a couple of pairs of shoes, maybe a month's groceries, a car payment

Even less than that for people who can afford it...$6500 is nothing...barely pocket change. And it only makes sense to exchange 6500 federal reserve notes for something tangible that has collector value.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Money can't buy happiness...

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. David Lee Roth

For more info, please contact Zack.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, in the overall scheme of things, a $6500 pipe is still way less pretentious than a $175,000 car. And not too many people are out there protesting those.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somebody out there who smokes the pipe has a disgusting amount of money.
    - saltedplug

Ain't no such thing in my book. And I freely admit that I wish that I had so much money that saltedplug would call it disgusting.

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been looking at Ferraris and found one for sale in Dubai for $1.3 million. If I put myself in that car I can drive very fast with an engine of palpable muscle and can dust the competition at will. I can corner fast, speed and outrun the police. Now I love to smoke the pipe but the joy of driving recklessly, though I would probably kill myself, would far exceed any pipe experience; or so I think as I've never had the opportunity.

Yes, the pipe had gorgeous grain, but that which it cost in excess of the gorgeous wood-say $4500.00-cannot in any way have that value. I know my sensorium is barbaric, but my cobs smoke as well as the one Castello I own. To me all the hoopla about Former, Jess Chonowitsch and Ingo Garbe is made-up.

Do I enjoy smoking my more costly pipes more than my cobs? Certainly. I am aware that I am using a finely crafted instrument. But I don't let that perception create another perception that the pipe smokes better.

For me, then, the $4500.00 is spent on the myth of Chonowitsch's very highly inflated reputation, manufactured chiefly by the frenzy of the wealthy. How much can the very best be valued? What characteristics do his pipes have that can possibly command $4500.00? A pipe is two holes, one large for tobacco and one small for the draw, connected by an airway through which the smoke from the incinerated tobacco is drawn. The airway must be precise and the wood of sufficient cure with a stem that doesn't make your jaw ache. To me, anything beyond that is style, shape and finish. I've seen Michael Parker's pipes with fine grain under a glass finish, which if assigned a value of $1000.00 still does not account for $3500.00, and which Chonowitsch's pipe does not have.

Were I wealthy would I buy this pipe? Don't know, not wealthy and without that choice. But if I did I don't think it would be healthy as I would have to pretend spending that much on an item whose value has skyrocketed was a good thing. It would make my life to that extent less real and to that extent unhealthy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, in the overall scheme of things, a $6500 pipe is still way less pretentious than a $175,000 car. And not too many people are out there protesting those.

This seems like a silly thing to say to me. A $175,000 car is a heavily developed, heavily evolved piece of very complex engineering that normally represents 100 years of trial and error. It takes a large number of man-hours and a large number of men to build one without even factoring the design phase. There are massive safety and testing costs along with other huge costs involved in getting the car to market.

A pipe is a piece of wood with a hole drilled through it often made by a man in a shed.

You get way more for your $6500 when spending $175,000 on a car than you do spending it on a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it.

I'm not the arbiter of these things but to my mind, a pipe with that price tag is far more pretentious than an Aston Martin and surely everyone wants one of those.

Frankly, I love pipes but I could never see myself spending that on a pipe even if I was a multi-millionaire but also, I really could not care less about what someone else spends their own cash on as long as affects me not.

Pretentious, not pretentious.....who cares? It's the free market.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@saltedplug:

For me, this issue boils down to the value of a certain amount of asceticism in life.

I am glad there are people wealthy enough to buy these things because we all benefit from the support it gives to industry, which can then more easily adapt luxury goods to become everyday goods. Cell phones, microwaves, cars, DVD players, flat screen televisions, and automated eugenics chambers were all the domain of the super-wealthy at one point, and now are everyday as soda cans.

At the same time, for me, I find there to be a certain distraction in such items. Sometimes a beater pipe, a beat-up room, a no-papers dog and a patch of nowhere country is better than being in a Bentley at the heart of London.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

@saltedplug- amusingly enough i'd just read this when you started this thread yesterday

The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, my old roommate from college is the go-to guy for wooden framed cars whenever you see them talking about them on TV, because he has a collection that goes back to the very first cars built. He has six Rolls Royces, and anyone who says any of those million dollar cars out performs a $10,000 car is an idiot. If you would like, I can post pictures of him with Jay Leno, from Mr. Leno consulting him on his next purchase. Or, one of the many car shows that he has interviewed with. So, drop the million dollar cars being fine performance sportscars BS. His mother also has the world largest collection of fire trucks and rail cars. He also has several helecoptors to play around with on his North Alabama estate. But, when he drops by my house, he rides a 1980 Honda CB900.

My dad’s old friend when I was a kid built and collected experimental airplanes. And, our neighbor when I was a kid was Hank Williams Jr, and he would blow through more than $6500 in ammunition on any given drunken weekend.

“Oh why don’t they do something more helpful for the world with their money?” And, who is to say they don’t?

I will reiterate that I am not of that financial caliber. Sure, I feel a little Gatsby-esque sometimes, being his friend. But, before his inheritance we both used to live on ramen noodles and thrift store clothes back in college. The only difference was that I worked as a landscaper to pay for college, and he waited tables.

When I visited him over Christmas, he had asked me if I wanted any of his dad’s old pipes. Ha ha, his dad who started this car collection only owned Dr. Grabows and smoked Borkum Riff. No thanks, they meant more to him and his family than to me. But, he did own a table full of diamond and gold handmade lighters.

It’s easy for poor people like us to set back and whine about what “we” would rather spend that kind of money on. I guess it makes us feel better to talk about how stupid rich people are. When I asked him how much money he has, he just tells me that he’s not quite 14k gold toilet rich.

The lions don’t bother themselves with the whining of the sheep.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'm horrible with money and creature comforts. I'm debating a $13,000 amethyst skull for my 2018 Christmas present.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Actually wish I was kidding. 33 pounds, single piece of amethyst.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A good older friend, retired brain surgeon, also owner in Alabamas largest construction company loved to fish with me, had a small ramshackle fishing camp, he was very thrifty, didn't abuse on people but you didn't know he had money, big in Boy Scouts, a lot of them made the Jamboree due to his finances. I used to like seeing him tie his artificial bait to the line , he did knots that were faster than the eye. He brought several of his high roller friends to my camp at my invitation , loved my wife's cooking. I asked him one time, why do you like to come here Stanley, this ramshackle place. His answer was because you treat me like like regular folks, and bust my balls when I need it. Rich folks are no different than me or you, just have more dinero.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The high-end luxury goods and collectibles market is where inflation is the most evident...simply because that's where all the disposable income is. And it only makes sense to exchange 6500 federal reserve notes for something tangible that has collector value.

Brian, you make two very good points here.

Would I, or could I spend $6500 on a pipe? No. But if I were to sell my Larsen Pearl made by Jess, I'd ask top dollar!

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

And, our neighbor when I was a kid was Hank Williams Jr, and he would blow through more than $6500 in ammunition on any given drunken weekend.

That sounds like my kind of weekend!

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

It's a social status thing and I'm fine with it. Would I spend such an amount of money on a pipe... the answer is no. I would rather spend it on a more useful thing for the family or myself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

I've never understood the obsession with other peoples spending habits. Large or small amounts of money are all relative, as are most things in life. If I had $6,500 to bet, I would bet that this was purchased by someone overseas, probably China. I don't have $6,500 to bet, so I'll pony up a 5 Dollar bill. (Actually, that's pushing the budget, I'm in for a nickel) Probably totally wrong, but what I do with my nickel is up to me and no one else.

Also, I have a question? Why is the comparison always a luxury car. This argument has come up a least eleventy seven hundred times since I have monitored pipe forums. Could we change up the argument just a tad and use say, tiny homes vs. mansions, blended scotch vs. single malts, different forms of potting soil, plastic vs. silver/gold cutlery etc. I don't know, I just want to jazz it up a bit. I'm crazy like that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I would never be caught dead in a $175,000 ride. A cheap crappy ride like that is way beneath my needs. I do get a kick out of idiots driving expensive racing cars in the overcrowded stop and go traffic of LA. They keep their mechanics extra busy.

Many of us do know some modestly wealthy people, and by that I mean a net worth beginning in the lower 8 figures and going up from there.

Millionaires are not wealthy, they're just less poor.

Of those folks I know who have a few bucks, they're pretty frugal. Some of them inherited and then built up from that. Others simply had the knack for piling up piles. But few of them would consider anything like a $6500 pipe, a $175,000 car, or any of that silliness. They are some of the cheapest bastards I know. But they will put their money where it will grow, whether it's prime real estate, or education for their kids at the best school they can provide. They understand that it's social connections that lead to opportunities so elite schools are an investment tool. Like most folks, they're focused on survival. They just have different tools for assuring it.

Yes, there are many very self indulgent people in the world. A few months back we sold a house to the playboy scion of a Texas billionaire. He tried to get out of the deal after he found out that when we designed the house, we hadn't designed the main wall in the great room in such a manner as would allow him to mount one of his Ferraris on it. Fortunately the contracts were all signed and the money deposited before "Junior" had this bright idea. His agent will find him a team to demolish his new house so that he can build yet another one to fit his predilections. But he's more the exception than the rule.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny. I doubt I'd spend $6,500 on a pipe. But I wouldn't use that single fact about someone else to label them as "sick" or "ridiculous."

As for whether someone spending $6,500 renders one "sick" or "ridiculous," I'd need to know a lot more about they guy to render such a judgment -- presuming I were arrogant enough to imagine it was my place to judge him at all. In my business [which includes advising and representing some enormous businesses] I have known many spectacularly wealthy people. Some of them have been kind-hearted humanitarians who built businesses and charities that made literally thousands of others' lives better. On the other hand, some rich folks have proven themselves to be reprehensible, vile, dangerous, rapacious scoundrels.

I have also, in my business and my personal life [which include pro bono representation of women at risk and overseas disaster relief] known and worked for some of the poorest, most disadvantaged people in world. I have found some of those folks to be kind-hearted humanitarians who do everything in their power to make the lives around them better. And I have known some poor folks who little better than feral predators, heaping yet more misery upon the miserable.

Why, it's ALMOST as if the amount of money a person has, or the amount that a person might spend on a pipe, has NOTHING at all salient to say about that person's character.

On the other hand, I DO find extremely telling even a single statement by a guy who imagines for even a moment he has the right or authority to tell any other human being how to dispose of the fruit of his own labor.

Sadly, throughout time, far too many folks have shared this view, that they somehow own or should control the product of other men's labors. All too often, instead of just whining on the internet, they have actually been able to attain power and make good on their views. [We call such people tyrants.]

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have found some of those folks to be kind-hearted humanitarians who do everything in their power to make the lives around them better. And I have known some poor folks who little better than feral predators, heaping yet more misery upon the miserable.

My working theory is that 10% of humans are good people, and the other 90% are just opportunists. If we colonize space with the former, we might become a great species.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This is getting SERIOUS! We're talking tyranny here!

I agree that it's kind of pointless to make a diagnosis based on one anonymous act. For all we know, the $6500 Chonowitsch was bought as a gift for a dying child in a sub Saharan African village.

Perhaps it's envy. Perhaps we all wish that we could buy $6500 Chonowitches and that we all feel somewhat "less than" because we can't. Come on folks, how many of you are just envious. Admit it. You're not outraged because someone spent $6500 on a Chonowitsch pipe, you're outraged because you can't afford it. And because you can't afford it, you feel "less than". You wish you could spend $6500 on a Chonowitsch more than just about anything. But because you're a financial failure, you can't afford a $6500 Chonowitsch and it just irritates you because it also reminds you of all the other necessary stuff that you can't afford.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush, to be fair, it's not tyranny so long as all you're doing is whining on the internet.

Now, when you get into the legislature and start passing laws depriving folks of the right to economic self-determination . . .

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No envy here. Even if I were a billionaire, as per my principles, I would find it obscene to spend such amount of money on a smoking instrument.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

olko, as a public service, would you provide a comprehensive list of prices that may acceptably be paid by people other than yourself for products or services made or rendered by people other than yourself? I am sure saltedplug would be interested in helping. No doubt you guys will be able to agree on precise dollar figures.

Let's start with this:

How much may a teacher and firefighter pay a homebuilder for 3-bedroom house?

How much may a waitress pay a dressmaker for a bridesmaid dress?

How much may plumber charge a homeowner for one hour of labor?

How much may sablebrush pay another forum member for a hand made pipe (specifically a Group 5 bent bulldog with a Cumberland stem)?

[There are about eleventy-billion other specific transactions that we will need you guys to pass moral judgment on. Golly, just figuring out all the individual pipe sales, what with all sellers, buyer and shapes is going to be a staggering number. But since evidently that whole "free marketplace" thing is now obscene, there's nothing for it but for self-appointed arbiters of fairness to tell everyone else what is permissible and good. So let's get started.]

Hmm -- maybe if we used a single guiding principle that would speed the process -- you said you like principles. I know one that folks have used for this before: "From each according to his ability; to each according to his need." How about that one?

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

olkofri: I doubt that, when you have large amounts of money, EVERYTHING changes (or shifts), including principles. A 1300 sq ft house will No longer suffice, a grabow over a Chonowitsch come on, a used beater car to a new one, my wife cleaning the toilet versus a "housekeeper", vacationing in the Wisconsin Dells or Hawaii, etc.

There have been many studies on people coming into large amounts of money via inheritance, lotteries, entrance into the professional ranks of sports, large raises...one common problem they many of them have is they GO and SPEND it rapidly, too rapidly. Multi-generational wealth is almost unheard of, the second generation usually squanders the first generations success.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok ok ok, I admit it. I bought the Chonowswisch. But, it was just to practice using my new Dremel tool on. I just started rusticating it, and I’m not sure if I will use the blue stain on it or just paint it with some acrylics. I think i could widen out the draft to fit a filter too. I’m so excited!!!
    I did mess up the rim a little, but no fears... i have a new belt sander!

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something to rotate with the Dr. Grabows and Yello-Boles. With a nice familiar pipe smoking name to go with it. Worth what you'll pay. Many doc-com billionaires and hedge fund folks who are twitchy and sweaty to have something to hold in hand.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

There have been many studies on people coming into large amounts of money via inheritance, lotteries, entrance into the professional ranks of sports, large raises...one common problem they many of them have is they GO and SPEND it rapidly, too rapidly. Multi-generational wealth is almost unheard of, the second generation usually squanders the first generations success.

This would seem to argue against amassing great wealth since it produces a generation of entitled brats.

To be sure, there are both economic and political arguments about the profoundly destabilizing effects of highly concentrated wealth on democracy. And maybe that's not a bad thing. Freedom and democracy may be beyond the ability of the vast majority to maintain. If we are indeed going the way of the Roman Republic we might as well get it over with and move onto the decadence of the Roman Empire.

Wow! Who knew that a $6500 Chonowitsch could wield so much meaning?

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

I do not believe this topic will ever be without disagreement. To some $6500.00 ( spent on something ) is the same as some else spending $65.00 or $650.00. Or maybe the buyer saved all their pipe money for the past 2, 3 or more years just to be able to buy 1 Jess. A pipe that they have always lusted after. We don't know.

I have no problems with anyone spending their money the way they choose. Would I spend this amount on a pipe? Not at my income level. Could I save and eventually buy one? Sure, but I still doubt I would. I'm just not that disciplined. I see too many other things I "need". LOL

The above being what it is, if the pipe is left un smoked, when Jess fully retires, the pipe will increase in value. How much, who knows. I wish I'd bought the Bo's that came through my site years ago, that sold for $3000.00 a pop. I wish I held on the pre trans Barling 7 day cased set, that I sold then for $700.00. I bet Jesse wishes I still had it also. bbwaaa hahahahahaha

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

But Pipes and Cigars! Am I right?

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I wish I held on the pre trans Barling 7 day cased set, that I sold then for $700.00. I bet Jesse wishes I still had it also. bbwaaa hahahahahaha

Well you never know. We're deregulating like crazy so there's a pretty good chance that there will be another market crash and worldwide financial panic in a few years. We could see those prices again. The question would be whether I would have the necessary cash at hand. But please let me know if such an opportunity presents itself in the future.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will take my lumps for the opinions expressed. I'm usually pissed off, but about once a week I am overtly so, and as being angry IRL is a disaster, I use the forum for its expression.

As regard this topic, I don't feel that I'm angry because I can't afford the pipe nor at those who can. The judgment comes from the complete disjuncture between the object and its stupendously assigned dollar value, flashing in neon the word, "illusion, illusion, illusion," at which point, in my perception, it is like a dirty, clogged drain with smelly water or an unwashed body at close quarters. Its jolts me because of its a-reality.

Dr. Hanna's article, above , concludes that:

In the case of tasting pipes and tobaccos, it is the brand myth that dictates our expectations, prepares our taste buds, and constructs the tasting experience, while we honestly though naively believe we are being objective and impartial.
    Also, in fewer words, the pipes that do smoke better do so according to his adage "Briar, not brand."

Maybe no one is prepared to agree with my statement that the price is wildly inflated and dedsrves the designation, "ridiculous," but I'm partial to it given the wildly exaggerated cost. But I will retract the same judgment about those who would buy the pipe, who I'm sure didn't care about my opinions in the first place.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

A pipe that price has been most likely purchased by a collector; who will not smoke it and, in 10 years from now, put it up on eBay for 5 times that price.
    It's speculation. Our pipe world is subject to greedy capitalism as much as other spheres of human activity.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe no one is prepared to agree with my statement that the price is wildly inflated and dedsrves the designation, "ridiculous," but I'm partial to it given the wildly exaggerated cost.

My contention is that what the price is primarily reflecting is how little value federal reserve notes actually have. You just don't notice it so much until you look at high-end items, especially collectibles...because there are many ways in which inflation is masked at the lower end of the spectrum...cheap imports, mass production, subsidies, etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I refuse to lower my standards of living just to enjoy the esteem of the masses. To be judged as "sick" because of how I spend or do not spend my moneys is ... well ... just sick.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm usually pissed off, but about once a week I am overtly so, and as being angry IRL is a disaster, I use the forum for its expression. - salted plug

Lucky us.

Pipestud

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm usually pissed off

Try some higher nic blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are plenty of fellas out there, who have been puffing on the same tarred up cob or Grabow for the last ten years who would find that spending more than $20.00 on a pipe to be ludicrous. It’s all in your perspective. I too find these threads about cost very revealing, as how and why another person spends their own money should be of no concern to anyone else. A commodity is generally priced at what the market will bear, therefore Mr. Chonovich’s pipes are priced accordingly.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try some higher nic blends.

Wish it were that easy. In any case high-nic is what I smoke 2/3 smokes:

Dark Flake
    Dark Plug
    Brown rope
    Black rope
    University Flake
    Royal Yacht
    Irish Flake
    Haddos
    Old Ironsides
    Jackknife Plug
    Triple Play
    Condor
    Semois
    War Horse

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Of course the thing about high end collectibles is, being fluff, that they become worthless in a bad financial crunch. My boss at the jewelry store told me about how prices on gem quality diamonds dropped to 5% of their former prices within weeks after the 1929 Crash. Personally, I place fiscal limits on my toys because it's all just money up in smoke, literally. Same goes for pretty much anything else that isn't tied to making a profit.

The judgment comes from the complete disjuncture between the object and its stupendously assigned dollar value, flashing in neon the word, "illusion, illusion, illusion," at which point, in my perception, it is like a dirty, clogged drain with smelly water or an unwashed body at close quarters. Its jolts me because of its a-reality.

Well, of course! None of this is strictly, or maybe even remotely, rational. Another purpose is being served. What that is, is unknown.

It's all a matter of opinion. I think that the whole Danish price point is one of the bigger and more hilarious scams in the pipe world, but that's just me, and someone else may say that Britwood is shitwood.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

How do you have the money to keep all those extravagant blends on hand?

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

How do you have the money to keep all those extravagant blends on hand?

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same goes for pretty much anything else that isn't tied to making a profit.

Excellent advice, I think. If you can use it to make money, it has value. If not, it's only worth what someone else has to spend on it, which varies with the trends and times. Kind of like the people stashing Beanie Babies.

To be judged as "sick" because of how I spend or do not spend my moneys is ... well ... just sick.

Ah, the difficult post-1789 years when no one can escape the implicit discussion of class. Welp, I'm off to smoke some of the 'Yacht.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Depends of course on what the "collectible" is. High-end collectibles are generally in the category of rare works of art, which can hardly be compared to something like beanie babies. But it's a game for those with truck loads of money.

As for the rest of us, if you want to be prepared for a "crash" the best thing to do is try becoming as self-sufficient as possible. Food will be the most priceless commodity if there's ever a real crash.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my 20s I waited tables for 5 years at a posh club high above the ground in Chicago in what was then called the Sears Tower. Lunch was packed but dinner sparse, as all the monieds skipped town after work for their uppity homes on the North Shore. Lunch was for making deals, and one guy in particular is easy to recall. He'd stroll in impeccably tailored, handsome, with a barracuda smile, and the calculation in his eyes palpable. Watching him over the course of a meal was like watching a cat circling its prey. I'm not sure if he won the deal he pursued every time, but I do imagine he won plenty, enough to amass the wealth he was reputed to have.

Maybe that's part of the answer to why the pipe upsets me, an entire society based on privilege, that based on what I have and you don't. What could be more empty than materiality and the depraved social distinctions derived from it? A greedy and corrupt nation with a pipe as its exemplar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unlike the amount of money one should spend on a pipe, can we agree that stupidity has no limits?

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not a society based on privilege. A lot of people are easily content with "good enough." They then spend time throwing darts at those who chose to achieve more. It's more a society based entirely on effort. Do the necessary work (preparation, study, etc.) and possibly reap the benefits from taking the risk of not having a monthly paycheck. This "class warfare" crap is just that crap. If you are jealous of someone having more money than you, go make more money. If you are content, why denigrate those with more money?

Your diner was working hard, even at lunch. Admirable? To me, yes. To you? Apparently not. One can have sufficient moneys. No one can have too much money.

---------

Stupidity is more than likely self-limiting. No cure for stupid. Lot's of remedies for lazy, aimlessness, self-satisfaction and ignorance. Unfortunately, those cures usually require some sort of figurative or literal kick in the ass get started on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's not a society based on privilege. A lot of people are easily content with "good enough." They then spend time throwing darts at those who chose to achieve more. It's more a society based entirely on effort.

I wish we lived in a meritocracy, but we don't. There's plenty of privilege based advancement in the US of A, make no mistake about it. But what separated us from rigidly class stratified societies was that you could also rise through effort. The notion that "who you know" doesn't matter is just not true. That's why competition to get your germy kids into the right prep school is even keener than fighting over the last Tele Tubbie on Black Friday. That said, It isn't only "who you know".

But guys like me, with no societal connections, through sheer persistence and some self made "luck" could also succeed in very competitive fields. Along the way I've seen plenty of well connected mediocrities siphon off the rewards created by and belonging to others. And I've seen some real forces of nature who could create magic like nobody else and who earned very accolade they received. Society is a mix. It's not just, nor is it fair. But there are opportunities.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

I've seen these discussions on multiple forums...always bothers me. I don't have a cabinet full of Bo Nordh's...but I wish I did, and I wouldn't mind being in a forum where guys are comfortable posting pics of high end pipes, but the discussions always devolve into a "more money than brains" consensus. Weird how it's ok to mock what we can't have, but nobody better dare mock the poor SOB's wallowing in the muck of their sacred cobs and dr grabows, and all the other more common than dirt pipes. Pretty dull...

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Sable: Gee thanks a lot...you just shattered all my illusions. Until now I really thought that each and every member of the Skull & Bones Society was there because they were/are the best and the brightest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fair? Well chosen word Jesse. Probably the key word. Lots of folks want fairness in life. Ain't gonna happen.

I maybe took too much umbrage with the "privilege" argument. But, though privilege makes it easy for some, it is a situation which, as you pointed out, can be surmounted.

We all know incompetents who make it to the top. We all know hard chargers, bright and hard working, who didn't. And, more importantly we all know constant failures who doggedly kept at it and succeeded.

I guess the point I missed making was just because a person has money, he is not automatically a bad guy or a good guy as some opine. Classifying a person simply on how they spend their money or how much they have is damned shallow. If I wanted to be rich, I'd spend a lot of time wherever they are to be found, mouth shut, ears open. Maybe get a waiter position in an establishment the rich frequented. A great way to learn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

@Sable: Gee thanks a lot...you just shattered all my illusions. Until now I really thought that each and every member of the Skull & Bones Society was there because they were/are the best and the brightest.

Sorry about that. I suppose you know that storks and cabbages have little involvement in how babies are made...

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#IBTL

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  63. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...but nobody better dare mock the poor SOB's wallowing in the muck of their sacred cobs and dr grabows, and all the other more common than dirt pipes. Pretty dull...

I'm pretty sure there are a few of those Cretins hanging out around here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've seen these discussions on multiple forums...always bothers me. I don't have a cabinet full of Bo Nordh's...but I wish I did, and I wouldn't mind being in a forum where guys are comfortable posting pics of high end pipes, but the discussions always devolve into a "more money than brains" consensus. Weird how it's ok to mock what we can't have, but nobody better dare mock the poor SOB's wallowing in the muck of their sacred cobs and dr grabows, and all the other more common than dirt pipes. Pretty dull...

I see posts of upper end and cobs freely on here all the time. Sometimes in the same thread. Cobs and high ends share the same shelf in my closet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

The notion that "who you know" doesn't matter is just not true.

Sometimes it's what you know on them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A lot of people are easily content with "good enough." They then spend time throwing darts at those who chose to achieve more.

Resentment is a universal simian trait.

I have never seen the point. If you want what they want, achieve it. If you cannot, you did not need it.

People also forget how much we benefit from having rich people to subsidize an industry like pipe carving.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is interesting that the Danes seem to excel at tapping into that higher end artisan market. There are the occasional top end artisans from every country, but we tend to see more of the Danes in the top end market.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

They are great grain chasers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The above being what it is, if the pipe is left un smoked, when Jess fully retires, the pipe will increase in value.

Likely, but hardly assured. I've yet to see any real mention of someone who's made money "investing" in pipes... Sure, some collections have sold for far more than the collector paid over the 30 years he collected. But too often such prices for his estate pipes simply go to his estate...

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  70. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The dealers will make some money, as they should. The buyers? Not likely since they will be either selling the pipe for wholesale, or splitting the amount with a dealer if it's a consignment situation. Collectibles, by and large, make pretty crappy investments. Just enjoy them.

Danish pipes are beautiful. But so are pipes made here, in the US, and in other parts of the world. I also don't see any innate superiority to the beauty of grain from any one country. Everyone produces equally nice pipes.

Maybe some do so much less efficiently and want to be rewarded for that. "Señor Olaf spends a minimum of 1400 hours on each pipe, meticulously sanding it against his beard stubble until it assumes the shape his spirit guide has revealed to him."

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper