Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Perique with Dark Fired Kentucky

(12 posts)
  1. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yesterday in the evening I was trying to find something to smoke among the samples of the tobaccos I bought, received as a gift, found, etc. I found an oz of Peter Stokkebye Dark Fired I purchased from pipesandcigars.com long time ago and decided to give it a try. It was really dry, I mean reaaaaally dry. I grabbed my clay pipe, packed a half bowl and lighted it. Well, here we go. It tastes like Burley (obviously) but more robust and spicy. What is that sweet taste I am asking to myself. DFK? Sweet? No way. Then saw Jim's review of this particular blend:

This dark fired Kentucky tobacco offers a fair amount of spice, wood, a little smokiness and nuts, some earth, and very little sweetness.

Well, it is time for another challenge. Where is the Perique I bought? Yeah, I am going to smoke straight Perique. I was just hoping it not to turn into one of those 'hold my beer' situations. After a thorough search, I found it. Contrary to DFK this one is really wet, I mean reaaaaally wet. I packed the half of the clay pipe and started smoking it. I could feel the smoke dancing on my tongue, one partner being fruity and the other one being spicy. Here I am, enjoying every second of the smoke for almost 10 minutes and I feel something. Wait, is that nicotine hanging from the back of my neck? Nah, can't be that. I get up to go to the kitchen and bring some more water, oopsie, I am going to fall. Fortunately, I didn't.

Then I decided to mix 50% DFK with 50% Perique. But this time I decided to enjoy it in a GBD pipe. All I can say is, that's one heck of a blend to enjoy. Fruity, spicy, robust, flavorful. It can be a little bit harsh on the tongue though. Has anyone ever tried it?

Javan
    Posted 10 months ago #
  2. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have not tried that yet, but that sounds great. I will have to give that a try . Thanks for the heads up. How's it going with the baby? You and your wife ready to go? Very exciting. I have one boy and a 16 year old daughter and let me tell you girls will always love their daddy the most. Enjoy it , they are all grown up before you know it.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 10 months ago #
  3. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

How's it going with the baby? You and your wife ready to go? Very exciting.

We are all ready and it is very exciting, indeed.

I have one boy and a 16 year old daughter and let me tell you girls will always love their daddy the most.

Thanks for the heads-up as well

Posted 10 months ago #
  4. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

I love some straight perique, every once and a while.
    I have even soaked some in Kraken rum, ala Aleister Crowley, also a good smoke. That reminds me... I need to go get some rum!

Posted 10 months ago #
  5. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like an interesting combination. I think I'll give it a try.

Posted 10 months ago #
  6. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Moztek has a plug called Tom's X (don't recall the exact name) that is half perique and half dark fired, which I never got around to buying due to cost.

Posted 10 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Sixpence makes good use of dark fired and perique, and the PS Dark Fired also pairs well with Red Cake and 40th Anniversary from McClelland. Quite good by itself as well.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 10 months ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've smoked straight Perique, just to get a sense of what it brings to the table. Yep, it will deliver a wallop. I prefer Perique in a mix where I can promote the part of its flavors that I like and sublimate the part that I don't like. BTW, Periques vary quite a lot in flavor, depending on year, region, and processing. I have some dark stoved Perique and barrel aged Perique that's very different from the basic stuff sold to the public. They make for some unique flavors when combined with other varietals. I also prefer them in much lower percentages than some of the Perique bombs being made. Like chameleons, they change to color of the blend.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 10 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use that PS DFK to spruce up some aromatics from time to time. By itself, it’s kind of hum drum, but I bet some perique would make it interesting. I’ll have to try it.
    It would be nice if we could get easier access to different periques.

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some people have claimed to really enjoy Perique, and not just as an experiment but from time to time. To me it sounds a little like drinking Tabasco Sauce when we were kids. I like Perique when it is a little below the radar but lifts everything else up a little. A little is the operant phrase for me.

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s really not bad by itself... perique that is. It’s not as spicy as it is in a blend. It brings out a lot of natural flavors in the existing tobacco that it is blended with. By itself, at worst, its just monochromatic. But, it has a delicate flavor, on the acidic side. Not bad, but not great. Definately not like drinking tobasco sauce.

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Moztek has a plug called Tom's X (don't recall the exact name) that is half perique and half dark fired, which I never got around to buying due to cost.

Right, I read about it long time ago but couldn't recall the name of the blend. It's Tom's Dark Twist. Thanks for the info.

PS Dark Fired also pairs well with Red Cake and 40th Anniversary from McClelland

I guess it is a bad time to know it

mso489, Michael is absolutely right about it not being as spicy as it is in a blend. It is mostly fruity and zesty.

Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob, morgansteele