Tags:  No tags yet. 

50-60 dollar pipe.

(47 posts)
  • Started 10 months ago by gulfcowboy
  • Latest reply from bw10
  1. gulfcowboy

gulfcowboy

Login to Send PM

Anyone had any luck finding good pipes in the 50-60 dollar range. I have a morgan bones, and a brushed stanwell on the way. I already have plenty missouri meerschaum cobs. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted 10 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Stanwells are a good pipe in that price range. I am happy with both of mine. If P&C are still selling the Decatur branded pipes, they are another good one for a low price.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  3. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In that price range best I can think of is the Ropp Vintage line.

As always, I'd suggest saving up more though. I ended up with around 40 pipes at roughly $100 per pipe. What I wish I would have done is bought less pipes and spent more on each pipe. That's what I'm currently working on doing, condensing the collection down and scaling up the quality. I've come to notice a number of them just don't get smoked. At 2-3 bowls a day I don't really need 40 pipes; I can do with about a dozen or two dozen and they'll all see more action.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 10 months ago #
  4. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rossi, good value pipes at Smoking Pipes...

"the weez"...
    Posted 10 months ago #
  5. scooterdoo

scooterdoo

Login to Send PM

I've had luck with Rossis and Estate Savinellis in that range.

Posted 10 months ago #
  6. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You need to start somewhere, but I'm with lordofthepiperings here. If you go up to 200-300 you'll find pipes that are keepers. New pipes, that is.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  7. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Estates. Savinelli, Stanwell.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 10 months ago #
  8. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my capri basket pipes.... Westvirginiasmokeshop sells them for $30-$40. They are well made and they last!

OR...

As mentioned, watch for P&C sales.

Blue Room Briars has nice weekly specials also.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 10 months ago #
  9. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dr. Grabow, Rossi, estate pipes, there are some real keeper 'basket' pipes out there.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  10. wayneteipen

wayneteipen

Login to Send PM

Stanwell pipes would be my first pick.

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is different between a 200-300 pipe and a 50-60 dollar pipe that makes it smoke better or worse?

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 10 months ago #
  12. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Here's another vote for estates. Buying on here, or on a reputable site like SP is your best bet for a good balance between a good deal and a good pipe.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 10 months ago #
  13. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Falcon pipes are a good buy in that price range.

https://www.4noggins.com/falcon-pipes.aspx

Posted 10 months ago #
  14. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Totally concur with Ben, scooter, Hap, & the weez -- Savinelli or Rossi estates, & definitely Stanwell (Danish preferably, but currently made in Italy & they're OK). You can find good deals on SPC (smokingpipes.com) & ANYthing you buy from them is going to be good quality & properly cleaned up. (They also have a nice selection tool that helps limit max price.)

Savs & Stanwells in particular are absolute high-quality good value for the buck.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  15. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is different between a 200-300 pipe and a 50-60 dollar pipe that makes it smoke better or worse?

We've discussed this many times and the general consensus is that you can have a great pipe or a dud at virtually any price point.

For me, the sweet spot seems to be the $100-$150 range for a NEW pipe. Much less than that and the odds of getting a dud increase, much more than that and there's no guarantee whatsoever you'll get a substantially better smoke.

Having said all that, I can appreciate that a hand carved pipe will cost more only because of the work put into it.

I'm not going to suggest any given brand because I really think they are all in the same ballpark. If they weren't, the company would be out of business by now. Smokingpipes.com is a great place to start your search, they are reliable and trustworthy. I'd also keep an eye on the for sale section of our very own forum.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 10 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no experience with these, but there are a lot of estate briarworks classics in that range at spc. The shapes looking lovely and they are designed with 4mm airways.

Posted 10 months ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Estate/used/second hand/pre-smoked. All mean about the same, and that's where the best value is. If you can get to a pipe show, there's usually tons of decent pipes for 20-30 bucks. Not name brands, not very good looking, but broken in and fine smokers. I have a bunch of those.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would recommend the Dr. Grabow Royalton series for around $40, with acrylic stems which are a step up from the molded plastic (lower grade plastic in my opinion) on other Dr. G. series. Likewise, in buying the Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes, I'd spend the extra on the pipes with acrylic stems, which are about $24 rather than around $5 to $12, but have stems that will not have to be replaced and will not get chewed up. You can also get good estate (used) pipes at higher grades, but I'd buy from reputable retailers like smokingpipes.com unless you are an experienced ebay buyer (it's a jungle out there). The other strategy that works is to watch for serious discounts on name brand pipes at PC, SP, Iwan Ries, etc. PC had brushed finish Stanwell's for a brief time for $20. I picked up a Tsuge blast straight billiard, a full sized pipe, for $40, and it is a real Tsuge with that fit and finish. You have to have patience to wait for the discounts, but you can get some winners. Shop a lot and buy selectively. You can get a world of junk at low prices, but if you do a lot of homework, you can get fine smoking pipes that will satisfy you for years, at remarkably low cost, and save money for fancier pipes or premium tobacco ... or just keep your household bills paid. Shopping at the low end can be great sport, so have fun ... really.

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. gulfcowboy

gulfcowboy

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone. Some really good information here.

Posted 10 months ago #
  20. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I Bought This Crappy Pipe... Started: 2 weeks ago Most recent reply: 2 weeks ago.

Posted 10 months ago #
  21. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

In that price range I have two pipes from Chacom, a straight billiard and a quarter bent apple. I have been very happy with both.

Posted 10 months ago #
  22. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first estate was a Savinelli Roma 207 from SPC. It was only 40$ and is still one of my favorite pipes. I’ve bought other estates some better, some worse, but if you keep your spending moderate in the beginning of your piping journey it will be easier to know what you want to save for. Also easier to walk away from the duds.

Posted 10 months ago #
  23. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can't beat Kaywoodie, brand new and less than that, now with push tenon and no stinger. Bill has discontinued the stinger on almost all new Kaywoodie Pipes. The Super Grain lines runs about $45 and are genuinely better than most of my $100 pipes. He hand finishes every pipe and is a fourth generation pipe maker. You'd be crazy to not try out a new Kaywoodie.

Posted 10 months ago #
  24. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not many online outlets carry Kaywoodie. Any suggestions on where to look?

Posted 10 months ago #
  25. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WV Smoke Shop and another.

Posted 10 months ago #
  26. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

27. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard good things about the Rossi pipes. Basically the same shape and everything as Savinelli but maybe don't look as nice. For example the Rossi 8320 is like the much lauded Savinelli 320. And you can pick one up new for just over 40 bucks. smokingpipes.com rossi 8320

Seldom Seen
    Posted 10 months ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I second the motion on Rossi. I have a Palermo zulu in a deep red stain and a prince in a rusticated finish. Neither has a filter. Just good solid pipes. They'll last forever, and you'll be glad to see they do. Work horse travel or work pipes. Plenty of bowl, not overweight. Break-in is just smoking them.

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I've got a few Rossi pipes that I bought early on to get a quick rotation going. I tried to find a problem with them so I could move on to bigger and better things but I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I'm buying more pipes but not because these smoke poorly.

Tim
    Posted 10 months ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

gulfcowboy, take a look at sparrowhawk's rusticated Nording Valhalla for sale on current Forums for $45. Also, if you buy it, I won't be tempted.

Posted 10 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

In the $50-$60 range, I would be looking at a Rossi (a Savinelli sub brand), a Stanwell brushed series, or a new production Kaywoodie (new production is now made without the dreaded stinger).

At a little less than your price point, I would look at the Morgan Bones pipes as well.

Posted 10 months ago #
  32. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A number of my most appreciated pipes have been "NOS" relics from eBay.

It takes more time and effort to locate them and a bit of luck to get them for a good price but worth your time if you're budgeting.

The forum classifieds have also provided several gems.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 10 months ago #
  33. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The smokingpipes banner ad sells a good many high-dollar pipes in very little time. This is because the photographer takes the time to shoot the pipe from a chosen angle and becausee the back round is carefully chosen. Brand/name also has a lot to do with cost as well, which I think is more a matter of skillful advertisig than anything else. It is very skillful manipulation to go from making good pipes singly to having the reputation of a Castello, not to mention the fatcat Danes whose every pipe is multi-thousand. And to be fair Castello has earned their excellent reputation.

Then too artisan makers know the shaping and its flourishes that appeals, and they know how to produce a superior finish.

But to your question, a $50.00 pipe correctly made, imo, smokes equally well as the multi-thousand. Expensive pipes look better but as a rule aren't when it comes to smoking characteristics.

Posted 10 months ago #
  34. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dead on, salt. No actual *need* for one over a couple of hundred to get a great smoke. Now *want*, on the other hand....

Posted 10 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

Or you could go for a Don Florian. I have 3, got them for a steal. The briar he uses is very good. Sometimes there are slight flaws in the making, usually slightly inconsistent wall thickness (which criticism he took with good grace), but if you get a good one, I really don't think they can be beat at almost any price.
    Check out my album for a picture of one.
    Will try to gather a couple of links for you.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t28545-my-pipe-collection

https://www.ebay.com/itm/pipe-DON-FLORIAN-3159th-FreeHand-ITALY-pfeife/273477667488?hash=item3fac8a0aa0:g:NQMAAOSwRNRbEqqH

Posted 9 months ago #
  36. eaglewriter1

eaglewriter1

Login to Send PM

Do Estates count? If not I have two Basket Pipes that are just phenomenal smoking machines and two Molina Pipes also are well worth their money. Generaly if it comes to Budget Pipes I would strongly recommend checking out some Molina Pipes. You get more then what you pay for.

Posted 9 months ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

38. eaglewriter1

eaglewriter1

Login to Send PM

Both bougth new for under 50$. Just plain solid Bent Apples that do their Job.

Posted 9 months ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been given some real beauties over the years, and I've bought a few higher end pipes as well, but I still enjoy jumping on the occasional bargain if I feel it is a superior pipe at the price. It is amazing what you can find discounted, and how good some of the less pricey pipes are as you enjoy them over years. It's like they mature into more expensive pipes over time. Often, you can't get those particular models anymore, adding to their value, for smoking anyway. I won't list them, since I've featured all of them in posts. I'll just say, it's been good sport sussing them out and bringing them along.

Posted 9 months ago #
  40. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

I have three Stanwell pipes and am happy with them, but I've never experienced a $200+ pipe to know if there is a significant difference.

Posted 9 months ago #
  41. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$50 Super Grain. For Sale.

Posted 9 months ago #
  42. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can get poor smokers at almost any price. After a price point at several hundred for a new pipe, I doubt the chances of getting enhanced smoking improve at all, but then you are buying the prestige and maybe the inspiration of extra quality material, craftsmanship, and design, really a lot like buying art, or it is buying art. With factory pipes, at various price levels, you are sometimes getting superior industrial design, like the Stanwell mass-produced pipes designed originally by Sixten Iversson; and there are quite a few of these examples.

Posted 9 months ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

Of course ms0489 is correct. I mean, look at Falcon pipes. I have never felt I was missing out when smoking one of them and their small size, which originally put me off them, is a postive aspect when you don't want a massively long smoke. Mind you, my plateau Dublins hold a special place in my heart. Got two Bjarnes in my home collection (which I miss dearly) and a fantastic Moretti

Posted 9 months ago #
  44. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I just recently attended the KC pipe show. Knowing that I was going to see first hand many beautiful hand made pipes, I assumed I'd probably buy one but I didn't. I wasn't prepared to choose a $300.00 + pipe at this time. I'm pretty content with my cheaper but good briars and a nice Meer. It's not that I don't see the beauty in the hand mades but like mso said, it's getting into buying art at this point.

Having said all that, I did meet Jeremiah Sandahl, one of the carvers who was a finalist in the Prince set raffle and found out he and I live about 30 minutes from each other. He's a very nice guy and invited me over to see his shop and so I could see myself possibly owning one of his pipes someday if I choose to go the route of owning a handmade.

Posted 9 months ago #
  45. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You will want more then one Bones.. I would add a Falcon to your mix. Check out Blue Room Briars for nice pipes in your price range.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 9 months ago #
  46. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try the "yard sale" sites of the interwebs. Just this morning I ran across a deal on 1 Tsuge and 2 Rattray pipes for an asking price of $65.00 on one these sites. Might just get them this weekend if possible. Also check your local antique stores. You never know what you'll come across there.

Some Yard Sale Sites:

Craigslist
    OfferUp
    LetGo
    Mercari

Try multiple search terms such as, pipe, tobacco, smoking, etc. Even brand name searches such as Dunhill occasionally turn up deals.

Posted 9 months ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

bw10

Login to Send PM

My only briar is the Roma burgundy pastore. It was on sale at pipes and cigars.com for a short period of time for $47. But you have to be patient and wait for these things and check up on them regularly.

Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   spartan99, oldgeezersmoker, bayareabriar, smudgersmissingleg, frankrem, pitchfork, rodo, ashdigger, cshubhra, 3rdguy, marc75