Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

5 Hour ER Visit. (Moderately Graphic Photos)

(24 posts)
  1. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cut up onions while my son cleaned mushrooms. I went to rinse the knife... this is a really sharp knife I got for Christmas... and wanted to ensure I didn't come near my 12 year old, so I decided to sheath it in my hand. Yaay me.

Monday's are bad for ER. All the peeps told to wait and go to their doc for weekend ills are there, because most of them cannot bum rush their doc's office. So I was there for 5 hours to get my stitches. Not as bad as some places, but twice as long as the last time I was there for a badly sprained ankle.

Cut is well over 1.25 inches across so blade went in my hand well past an inch in depth.

Tidy job done by the PA. They were super nice, just slammed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Oh, glad you are doing fine, that looks like a serious cut.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a butcher and a sharp knife is a safe knife unless you screw up... and you, sir, screwed up. All kidding aside though, take care of that hand. I hope it heals quickly.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ouch! Hoping for fast healing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reminds me of a time I was cutting bell peppers at work. Not paying attention to what I was doing and took the tip of my thumb clean off. That was no fun. Hope you heal soon

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a bunch of un-fun, hope it heals up well.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Reminds me of a Christmas Eve- I was chopping with an 8" chef's knife...accidentally touched a hot coffee pot, flinched, and rammed that knife through the back of my hand between the thumb and index finger...and I'm sitting in a walk in clinic with someone who chopped off a fingertip- we had to compare our wounds for the doc so he could figure out who to work on first...That spot was numb for 5 years...(Thanks for the flashback!)

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yikes!

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your hand is filled with cherry pie filling?

Get better soon.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owwwwww. At least the knife was sharp, and not serrated. The stitches probably hurt as much as the cut.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been to the ER recently several times with my wife. She's had a hard life with medical things. The ER rule is, if you are stable, breathing, not bleeding, not shouting, you are in for an all-nighter. As one medical person explained to us, first they have to treat the heart attacks and coma patients, bullet wounds and so forth. Knives and broken glass are two of many aspects of the world worthy of grim respect. We live around these all the time, but must paid heed. Take good care of your healing wound.

P.S., I now know to leave my pocket knife in the car. ER has security like the airport.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yikes!! That gash looks like you got kissed by a vampire!

Glad you're on the mend!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One graphic story apparently begets a dozen more in reply!. I have had my share of oops moments with sharp blades, but none are contenders here. Wyfbane, I hope you mend quickly!

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Ouch. Nasty spot for a cut. You'll feel that one for a while. Hope it doesn't get infected. Feel better, man.

Cherry pie filling?

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Godspeed on the recovery and safety from future encounters with the sharp edge of any cutting device!

PS..... Ouch!!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hope you are right handed! Heal fast.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love you guys. Thanks for the well wishes. I am right handed. I also hope to avoid infection. Hope it mends soon so i can go swimming by July 4th

It did hurt worse getting stitched. Lol

And, by golly, the insides DO look a bit like cherry pie filling.

A friend told me to put a glass eye in it and give fortunes... I said no.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That F%$#@ing HURT! Did that have you doing the "OH SHIT" dance?? ...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to keep my knives razor sharp and I've cut myself a fair number of times with those, a cut from a sharp knife seems to heal quickly, relatively painlessly, and with no scar. Usually it gets a bandaid for two or three days and by the end of the week is totally forgotten.
    My biggest fear with those is cutting a tendon, I almost came close to doing that this year (DO NOT CUT BAGELS IN YOUR HAND, no matter how many people you see doing it or how often it seems like such a convenient idea).

The time I cut my fingertip with a saw tool on a dremel was something else, it was just a small gash but it still put me in shock. When the cut looks and feels like your outsides got mixed up with your insides you don't forget that. I had to keep a bandage on it for three weeks, half my fingertip was numb for two years, and it left a big scar.
    I could probably sleep on a bed of razor blades, but power tools scare me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I pulled this knife out from 1.5ish inches deep in my hand and it did the thuuuuup sound and I saw the purple meat, I went into shock. The majority of my AF deployment was on a base with both and imbedded SF compound and a MASH unit for when their patrols with local ANA went south, which happened with regularity. It was like the TV show. If you are walking near the airfield and the Ford Ranger technicals with machine guns come screaming in, you just wait to help carry stretchers into the surgery. That cured my external phobia, in spades. I still don't like to see my own blood, though.

I overheat and get weird. I had the wherewithal to grab a large icepack for the trip to the hospital. I used it on my head and neck more than the wound. I practiced deep breathing. It really can be overcome with a wound this (technically) minor. I would probably be in danger if I lost a limb or something. You all would be safe. I stay pretty calm around other who are hurt. It's odd.

I took the pics because I wanted to model being calm and open with my son so he doesn't carry that sort of thing from a parental standpoint. I was very calm around him and explained how this was a deal, but it wasn't a huge deal. I hope that will help him out, since he was standing next to me when I did it.

My mom raised me as my dad was a l w a y s working. She was pretty hyper about stuff like that, so I am unsure how that affected my development. I am far away from the Navy SEALS, who get shot and are like, 'Dammit, that just makes me mad!'

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shitty place to have a cut. I took a 1/4" standard screwdriver to the palm once- it didn't go all the way through, but it tented the skin on the back of my hand. Hurt worse coming out than going in, and the ball of scar tissue still aches some days.

Hopefully yours heals nice and clean, and you're back in action by the 4th!

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Suddenly I'm in the mood for a calzone.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well that sucks man. A couple years back, the fam and I came home late after a long day in town. In my attempt to get a healthy dinner cooked up for the kids, resulted in me rushing to prepare them a hot meal. Turned up my wok too high on the stove and when the oil started to smoke I jerked it off the heat too quickly. Well my efforts got me a trip to the ER with some second and third degree burns. I was a pretty sorry Dad, until I got to there. Needless to say I felt fortunate when I left the hospital, seeing as my injury was so minor in comparison to what others were going through. Hope you heal up nice and quick.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Suddenly I'm in the mood for a calzone

I can see that, too, but like the cherry pie filling comment better. Lol

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1