Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

5-15

(36 posts)
  1. jonahtke

jonahtke

Login to Send PM

I saw this go up on pipesandcigars facebook this morning. They expect to sell out before the weekend is over. I ordered my 3 tins and thought I'd share with you all as well. Happy puffing!

http://pipesandcigars.com/pi5pito5ti.html#.UR5n36WsiSo

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. carbz13

carbz13

Login to Send PM

Just ordered 3 too- thanks for the tip!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn't sound like my type of blend, but I have to congratulate them on the charitable angle.

Let us know what the smoking experience is like!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I saw the title... this is the first thing that passed through my mind.
    I'm not attempting to hijack the thread.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got the email this morning, not my type of smoke...But the donation part is another thing. No TAD going on today, and not up for getting one started, but the day is young.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

I was going to place an order but as I read of the flavorings, I thought of instant headache.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Doesn't sound like my type of blend, but I have to congratulate them on the charitable angle.

An aromatic after 5 to 15 years not only doesn't sound like my thing, I definitely know it isn't. But for $10, may be worth a shot, so good luck with it

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the information, I got my order in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

Ill be fine with it as long as it doesn't taste like most aromatics...nothing. If I don't like it will make good trade/bomb fodder

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm curious to read some reviews here of this blend. Especially since McClelland didn't deem it a good enough product to release when they created it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. jonahtke

jonahtke

Login to Send PM

To me it seemed worth the risk to try something unique. If the tin I open isn't pleasant, well then I'll have an unopened one for a future box pass hehe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

I'm curious to read some reviews here of this blend. Especially since McClelland didn't deem it a good enough product to release when they created it.

I am too but I was afraid if I didn't jump on it I might miss out on something good so I took a chance on 2 tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good call Lawrence on the Who tune.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting. Decided to try 2 tins and round up to a pound with other tobaccos. The wifey is being very nice about my slight over-spending on tobacco/pipes this weekend so I'll go with it.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good call Lawrence on the Who tune.

+1 nothing like a good rock opera reference.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. vertigocreative

vertigocreative

Login to Send PM

I also ordered three tins of this. Hoping for a treat. Looks like they have about 85 tins left. I'm hoping mine comes in in time to order more if I like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. vertigocreative

vertigocreative

Login to Send PM

I also ordered three tins of this. Hoping for a treat. Looks like they only have about 85 tins left. I'm hoping mine comes in time to order more if I like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Me too, as I passed on this as well. But I dunno. It's 5-15 year old McClelland virginias, a little white burley, with a rum & vanilla topping. I mean how bad can it be?

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I expect it's not a bad smoke at all, but wouldn't expect it to be notable, either, or they'd have it in their regular stock. That it was stored and forgotten rather than destroyed is a good sign, at least.

I'm really of the opinion that aromatics will age, provided they aren't heavily topped with PG, which most seem to agree acts as a preservative and sterilizer. I've come to the belief that aging is simply a slowed continuing fermentation of stored tobaccos, which would be why virginias with their higher sugar content seem to take aging better than other types. I might be wrong about this, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

For the most part, Mike, you, me and Greg Pease seem to agree re: aging.

I know for a fact that aromatics with "heavy toppings" of humectants, such as PG, hold their flavors fairly well, if my 3/4 full pound can of decades old CBR is any indication. However, so-called "premium" tinned/sealed/even jarred aromatics, from the likes of C&D, McClelland, H&H, etc. have very little humectant; in fact, many have none at all. That's why, even though I certainly have not proven this conclusively, I'm of the opinion that these aromatics, over an extended period of time, lose a noticeable amount of their aromatic flavors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

chargerucd

Login to Send PM

I got mine too.
    So whoever gets it first, start puffing And let us know how it is!!!

Thnks

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

chargerucd

Login to Send PM

By the way sthnh,

I looked arround on the net for "cbr" and I got
    Championship bull riding
    Comic book resources
    California bearing ratio, etc
    So, can you please let me know which tobacco are you referring to???
    I just want to try a tobacco that ages well!!!!

Thanks!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think he's referring to Cpt. Black Royal (blue package). It's a heavily topped aromatic that doesn't age noticeably.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

By the way sthnh,

Me?

If so, I really don't think I am doing you a favor here, but WTH, eh?

CBR = Captain Black Royal

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

I felt like a consumer whore when I bought my tin. I was grocery shopping and saw the e-mail. Ordered myself a tin before I even left the store with my groceries.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered one for shits and gigggles...(along with a pound of Newminster Navy Flake,a new cob,etc...)

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

chargerucd

Login to Send PM

So, nobody remembers if its either 5 - 15 years??? Is it bad accountants?? I can remember what I was doing 5 - 15 years ago!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, nobody remembers if its either 5 - 15 years??? Is it bad accountants?? I can remember what I was doing 5 - 15 years ago!!!

If you were blending tobaccos for a living, doing it all day every day, I think it's pretty likely, maybe even a guarantee, that there would be plenty of blends that escaped your mind completely. I think they probably narrowed it down as best they could, and because they didn't want to be disingenuous and give a more precise time frame when they knew it might not be as precise as they claimed, they chose to be completely frank and give people the straight'n'skinny.

Just my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot say for 5-15 years, but I have kept McClelland Townsman Cavendish Maple, and Rum, for 5 years, and it seems to get better as it ages. I am quite fond of Rum tobaccos, and maple ones, but usually don't care for the two together. Anyway, I ordered 2 tins, as I might enjoy the rum and vanilla.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm of the opinion that these aromatics, over an extended period of time, lose a noticeable amount of their aromatic flavors.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, after 10 years in the tin, Captain Cool will actually taste like Frog Morton across the Pond with Syrian latakia.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

I should have a fair amount of goodies, including this, on the porch when I get home so I think it will be a race to see who cracks theirs first. I know Ill be firing this up just a little after I get home.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got my tin sitting on my desk right now and it smells fantastic. I'll have to smoke a bowl when I get home.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

It smells great and tastes ok. Its definitely an aromatic, lots of nice aromas and a decent taste but no body. Its good Im sure if you like aromatics but its not for me, I was hoping for something a bit stronger. I may smoke one more bowl just to be sure but Ill be selling/trading off my 2 tins it looks like.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. carbz13

carbz13

Login to Send PM

Got mine in the mail last night, gonna have a bowl of it tonight to celebrate IPSD.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. vertigocreative

vertigocreative

Login to Send PM

Just smoked a short bowl. Smooth, flavorful, delicious, nice room note. It is mild, but with the flavor I think that's how it should be. Immediately went to buy some more since I liked it and it was sold out. If anyone wants to sell two or three tins at near cost, I'd be game. PM me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. carbz13

carbz13

Login to Send PM

I was hoping to relax the other night, but the cold and the wind ruined that idea. Was able to get a few minutes with it though before I was chased back inside. Without having the full bowl my opinion may be slightly off... But the main taste I was picking up on while smoking was the rum, but left my tongue with a nice vanilla aftertaste. Got a few compliments on the room-note and didn't have any tongue bite. Hoping to have some more this weekend while we're out coyote hunting.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   huntertrw, winton, organizedmadman