Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacconists - B&M's and Internet Retailers

Tags:   

4noggins.com - are they still in business?

(43 posts)
  1. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I have ordered pipe tobacco from them two days ago and all I received was an automatic answer e-mail that they will send me the tracking number of the parcel. I wrote them an e-mail the next day if everything's alright, but I still haven't got any answer. Maybe I just need to say goodbye to my 100$? Anyway, interesting customer service.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're still in business. Maybe, and this is just a stretch, call them?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, they are still in biz, just under new ownership.

Edit* Ash beat me to it. plus one, what he said.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Two days ago in the states was Memorial Day so likely no one was there. They are probably getting caught up on all the orders placed in their absence.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Memorial day, ok. I thought they celebrated 4th July a month in advance. I will call them in the evening, maybe they will answer on phone.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My mistake, 12 hour shifts are really throwing me off. Memorial Day was last week. Still likely lots of orders though. Give them a call, they'll get things sorted for you.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

12 hour shifts are really throwing me off.

Yeah, it'll do it to you. Worry not, Cap'n. Launch a bowl of Frigate & you'll be fine.

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Ok, I called them 3 times, without success. Nobody is answering on calls. This is starting to become ridiculous.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Relax? I think it is better if I don't answer on that. But I'm sure you would be veeeery relaxed if someone disappeared with your money.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Daniel, no one has dissapeared with your money. They are a reputable business.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

I placed an order from them yesterday afternoon. Got the tracking number this morning--usps doesn't show that they have received the package yet, but the label was printed this am and 4noggins claims it shipped, and it's pretty common for USPS tracking to be a few hours late getting the status updated. I don't know what is up with your order getting delayed (or not being able to get them on the phone), but they still *seem* to be shipping.

If you paid with a credit card, and if it never ships, you should be able to contest the charge.

But I'd also give it another day or two before getting too concerned. The delay (and inability to get them on the phone) might leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I wouldn't panic that my money is gone forever. I can dream up a million innocent reasons a particular order might get delayed a couple of days.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I wouldn’t worry. Orders take a few days to ship. Jeff is the new owner and hasn’t caused me any issues. After a week that’s when I would inquire. Not the same speed of service as smokingpipes. But it will get shipped

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

@ashdigger, wouldn't be the first case.

I will wait for one week, after I will give up.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just called and spoke to the owner after just a couple of rings. I have used 4noggins in the last week and received my order quickly and perfectly packaged. 4noggins is a go to vendor for me.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it much better because the new owner doesn't hop up on a soap box the way the old one did. They are a good business and their service is really good.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With international orders you get the confirmation you just got, then it takes a few days for the 'your order has shipped' confirmation. Eight bells and all's well.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  18. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Ok, at least I know they are in business, thank you for the information. Maybe I just used to fast service and answers too much. I really miss Danish Pipe Shop, it's a pity that they don't fulfill international tobacco orders anymore.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

4noggins are amazing, and maybe my favourite among the online shops.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Update: They answered yesterday (on the 4th day from order and payment) but the parcel is still not on its way. Today is the 5th day from order...
    Meanwhile I ordered from Brebbia - Italy and pipe arrived the next day in the afternoon for the same shipping cost to Iceland.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

When you spoke to them, did they give any explanation for why it had not shipped?

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

When you spoke to them, did they give any explanation for why it had not shipped?

They said only: "sorry for the delay. That order should be shipping today and you will receive an email when it does. Thanks"

This was yesterday, but I still haven't received anything. I guess it is still not on its way. Maybe today evening someone will finally take it to the post office.
    On phone they said: "We will check it"

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is an on demand world with insane expectations for customer service and customer demand. I have worked in the logistics business for over 15 years and firmly believe that we are out own worst enemy.

Also something to consider is the potential negative effects of ranting on open forums about minor issues with respected retailers. 4Noggins is well known and does a great job supplying us with our orders. There is very likely to be an acceptable response as to the minor delay in shipping your box. Perhaps the negative press that this post has given them would be warranted after a large amount of time but I guess that's up to you decide how you define a large amount of time.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I see and understand that it is a well-known business but taking 5 working days just to bring one box of tobacco (which is on stock) to the post office is not a great job. At least not by my standards. To me reading reviews and critics about an online business always help.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

Daniel, I understand your frustration, and I agree that taking 5 business days to ship an order of stocked merchandise is not generally acceptable for a mail-order business.

As I mentioned above, I placed an order after you (not international delivery, so there is that difference), I got the shipping number the next morning, and I got the box two days later.

When I got the box, there was a mistake--something had been sent in a smaller size than I ordered. I immediately picked up the phone, my call was answered on the second (I think) ring, I explained the situation, he assured me he would immediately send out the correct item and the call was over in less than a minute with no hassle. Within an hour I got an email with another tracking number. (I am by the way perfectly satisfied by this experience--mistakes happen, it was immediately fixed at no cost to me, and at the end of the day, I actually am going to walk away with some extra tobacco).

What I'm wondering is what is the most plausible way of reconciling your experience with my experience (given that both experiences were at the same time)?

This is pure speculation, but the most plausible explanation I can come up with (why a company that was so responsive in the case of my order, and so slow in yours) is that some of the inventory was bad (e.g., when they went to fill your order some tins they had were dented and unsealed, or maybe some bulk had started to mold, so they held off fulfilling your order until they could get new stock). Again, this is pure speculation; I actually have no idea. But that brings me to my point:

I do think the most charitable thing to do at this point--if you are deeply dissatisfied with the service, and I can understand why you would be--is to contact the company directly and ask point blank for an explanation of the delay.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We yearn for the old days when people moved slower (until retailers don't act like Amazon).

It's an odd dichotomy...

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand the reason for this thread AT ALL.

I honestly think this has been resolved and this thread should be closed.

But, I don't track packages and get my panties in a wad if nothing shows up 15 minutes after I ordered it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been almost an hour and my drone hasn't showed up. Did one of you bastards shoot it down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 month ago #
  29. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What I want to know is why the hell Amazon doesn't have air defense for their drones yet?

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What I want to know is why the hell Amazon doesn't have air defense for their drones yet?

Their slave labor haven't been able to get the required items from 4Noggins.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

+1 ashdigger
    i want it and i want it now
    lets see what else we can moan about

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

haven't been able to get the required items from 4Noggins.

Grrrrrrooooooooaaaaannnnnnnnn......

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Their slave labor haven't been able to get the required items from 4Noggins.

Are they still in business?

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing."
    -huntertrw
    Posted 1 month ago #
  36. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Ash, you don't understand? I wanted to know the reason of lack of their reaction for 3 days if their business was still running or what. After that I was just deeply disappointed about their impoliteness and about the fact that after 5 working days there is still no progress (until this minute). This kind of customer service is very underwhelming compared to their competition. I thought this type of forum is for changing experience and opinions freely.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought this type of forum is for changing experience and opinions freely

It absolutely is. Are we supposed to join in the flogging a dead horse?

Personally, I think just what I stated. If you don't like the service don't shop there, but I'm not going to be part of a public lynching because you didn't get super duper speedy service.

You are free to post your opinions. You are not free to regulate my answers.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ive never had a problem with 4noggins. Maybe because I live in Canada and Im used to things taking a while to get here.

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never had a problem with them, great service. But I haven't ordered from them in several months.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heh, still waiting for an order from amazon.de I placed on May 24; got the dispatched notification on May 31 stating that the ETA is June 21.

The post is slow, hence 'snail mail'.

Patience is a virtue.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

I've shipped stuff to and from Germany, and it typically takes weeks...sometimes a week or more between tracking updates even show up online. And then when it finally delivers, sometimes the tracking # never shows a delivered status. I've had the opposite experience in dealing with Al Pascia in Italy. Their packages are usually here in the US, a day or two after ordering. I'm not a regular buyer from 4noggins, but if your package arrives within a few weeks, based on what I've seen, I'd consider that par for the course when it comes to shipping across the Atlantic.

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yet processing and fulfilling international orders to the european destinations(especially Scandinavian countries) may take a bit longer time to accomplish,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  43. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had the opposite experience in dealing with Al Pascia in Italy. Their packages are usually here in the US, a day or two after ordering.

Bear in mind that Al Pascia uses Fedex, not the regular/national post. Big difference. Maybe 4noggins can indulge someone's request to use Fedex too, but the buyer should be prepared to be hit hard with duties and brokerage fees.

Good, cheap, and fast: pick two.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper