40th Birthday Pipe

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by The Pipe Monk
  • Latest reply from instymp
  1. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This August 30 I turn 40. I have been concentrating on getting my estate purchases restored/cleaned etc apart from 1 or 2 odd pipes a year. Would love your recommendations for my 40th Birthday pipe (Shape, Finish, Pipe Maker).

Honestly, I dont know what I want. Help a brother out, will ya !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Poul Winsløw has very special, unique pipes, but a Dunhill or Castello could be also festal enough. Or, if you would like to remain young, then a Caminetto.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I'd skip Dunhill altogether, it's just overdone. Get a Ken Barnes and smoke some McClelland 40th Anniversary in it.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Randy Wiley, bent dublin, smooth or rusticated, ehhhh. I just mention it because I know that you like his pipes.
    I hope you have a great birthday!!

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse Jones Bent Billiard!

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check out Jack Howell Pipes, jwh.fastmail.fm, I have 2 of his pipes a Dublin and an Acorn both just fantastic smokes and lovely workmanship. Here is a shot at one of his smooth Lovat Dublin shapes from his gallery.
    banjo

Here is my Acorn by Jack, and here is my Dublin from him I purchased for my 43’d wedding anniversary.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fishn', you're one pretty sharp fellow, buying yourself a pipe on your wedding anniversary. I had to laugh when I read that. I didn't see a pipe listed as the traditional anniversary gift for the 43rd year! Keep it up buddy, we live vicariously through your pipe purchases.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

August is plenty enough time to do a commission piece. That would be great option in your case. And very personal. But you also couldn't go wrong with a classic factory/workshop pipe like a Castello.

Neal
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Commission with the carver of your choice. Good recommendation on these posts. I'd get something medium size in a traditional shape but done with the carvers own original touches, discussed with him/her in advance, and maybe share a photo or two and maybe a sketch of how you'd like it different, and leave the door open for the carver's own ideas. I think blast would be excellent, but so would any other finish if well done.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roush sandblast. I'm not sure about shape?

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Missouri Meerschaum Legend.

Yeah you read that correctly.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Missouri Meerschaum Legend.

Yeah you read that correctly.

Did Didi say something? [grin, duck, & run like blazes]

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

It's a big F-ing day, man! I got this Northern Briars for myself on my 40th this year, and I love it.

Also this NOS Old England, which I love even more than the Northern.

Non Serviam
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If commission prices are steep for you, keep shopping around. Talented new carvers and good but lesser known carvers have a range of prices. You need to make it worth their time, but you don't have to go to the top price carvers with national/international names.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse Jones, Nate King, or Andy Petersen. Or any other American carver.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

40th birthday? How about a morta pipe by Davorin Denovic?

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks gentlemen for the comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming. My budget is around $1200-$1500.

There are so many talented pipe makers its hard to choose one. One of my very good friend Adam Sheehan has grown to be an awesome pipe maker !!

As I said, I have no freaking idea as what to get, I am relying on you guys. August is quite far away so no hurries

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$1200 - $1500, eh? Some guys will come to your house and make one for you for that. Serious money.
    Here I was just thinking how much I enjoy smoking my MM Pride 2nd for the last 4 yrs and that maybe I should just get about a half dozen or so more (first quality!) and thin my other pipes out/down/gone.
    Crikey, talk about a difference of approaches.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a big birthday coming up, and hadn't thought of gifting myself a very nice pipe.... Thanks for the idea! I may go ritzy estate, Barling preferred if Jesse hasn't got all of them!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  20. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A small update and my thoughts on the topic.

@didi Already commissioned bespoke 7 day Legend smoking set

A major of us smokers prefer classics for milestones. I too, thought the same for a long time, but it would be just another pipe for just another guy from an extremely talented pipe maker whoever they may be. I realized today, I do not want to be that guy. I love classics but the designer in me wants something more, unique.

So, the search continues........even if it takes a longer time than August, I just want to choose the maker and request them to choose a block on or before my birthday (Aug 30) and then wait for them to do their magic.

What are your thoughts?

Keep it smokey !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  21. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My 40th was a few years ago and I didn't treat myself to a pipe. Too busy getting ready for the birth of a son. If I was single and without my current responsibilities I think it might be fun to travel someplace for the birthday and find a pipe there. Maybe Turkey for a nice meerschaum, or England/Wales/Cornwall/Scotland for a British pipe, or Ireland, or Denmark, or well, you get the idea. You would have a nice pipe and some good memories surrounding the acquisition. Perhaps even meet a pipe maker in person and talk about a unique pipe to commission.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 4 weeks ago #
  22. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

I’m with Embers. Have Ken Barnes create your birthday pipe. I see no down side.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At that price level, you want something worth every dime, and it ought to be astonishing. I hope you'll share it with us when the time comes. Wow. A life purchase.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  24. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

For my 40th birthday a couple of years ago, my wife bought me a Mimmo Provenzano Morta pipe. Her thought was that it was a unique moment in time... A brand new pipe made from bog oak that is between 2500-5000 years old (according to Mimmo)! Perfect for a 40th birthday!

It about broke my heart to see banjo's post above...

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  25. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@seldom Yes family comes first, always. I've been single since a few years so I can splurge a little. The travelling to the location to get or pick up your pipe is awesome.

@rmpeeps Love Ken's pipes I think I'll end up with more than 1 pipe for my 40th (10th, 20th, 30th Birthday?)) I only started smoking pipes at 35. The problem is there are so many talented pipemakers, if I choose one or two, the others get ignored. I even had an idea to get the pipe made by a Lady Pipemaker, I love almost all of their work. Might end up requesting one from the ladies. When it comes to gentlemen pipemakers, I am completely lost. If I ask Ken, then Mike Butera gets ignored, if I ask Mike then Chris gets ignored or if I ask Chris then Roman gets ignored. So still not sure, but we have ample time.

@mso exactly, but it wont be easy for me as I dont get paid in dollars, will even take a few months of saving before I can shell out a cool $1200 or $800. I dont think I will spend this much again until I hit 50 !!

@sittingbear I am going to contact Jack for an acorn in memory of Banjo. I'll dedicate it to his name !! The Banjo Giulani pipe

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your block has been selected!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 1 week ago #
  27. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

Nice choice! Be sure to post pics when you get it!

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@clicklick Awesome Adam !! Pipe 1 of 4 is initiated !! (Also got me a french GBD Speciale, 2 Antique Meers all for 120 Murrican Freedom Coins)

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sitting...It about broke my heart to see banjo's post above...
    yup

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, milehighpiper, weezell, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88