Tags:   

4 New Charatan Blends

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by smudgersmissingleg
  • Latest reply from JimInks
  1. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

This is for any of my fellow UK pipe brothers, I just noticed GQ Tobaccos have in stock the remaining 4 Charatan Dunhill homages which are:
    Four Leaf - Aperitif
    Curzon Mixture - Durbar
    FC 1863 Mixture - Baby's Bottom 1938
    Virginia Three Year Matured - Who knows?

For what it's worth I've tried the Charatan versions of Flake, Dark Flake & DNR and while some were quite different from the Dunhill originals they were based on (Navy Rolls I'm looking at you) I did enjoy them all to varying degrees.

Chris

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

I've smoked the No 10 which is a clone of London Mixture. Not too bad and a reasonably close match imo.

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still a voice in the wilderness proposing that the current "original" Dunhill blends will resurface sold to another blender or licensed for continued production, on the basis that any product enjoying good sales isn't going to evaporate. I'll make an exception in that precept for mom and pop operations like McClellands, where the decision was personal, but not with larger brands. By-and-by I'll just skulk away with this fantasy, but if it comes to pass, please forgive a lot of arrogant bellicose crowing from me, since it's so rarely something I have a chance to do -- particularly tasteless from one not accustomed to behaving like that. Otherwise, I'll just forget I kept insisting on this.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Mso489, I hope you're right and the old original Dunhill recipes do come back whether with different names or whatever, the 3 Charatan blends I've tried have all been high quality and I've enjoyed them all and I'll certainly be reordering and trying others but their version of DNR was quite different what with having a cavendish core.
    In the UK we don't get Escudo and I was hoping that the Charatan Rolls would be close to DNR but alas for me they weren't.
    Still I hope someone releases something close to DNR, Escudo etc. Whether that be the original Dunhill recipe under a different name or Escudo being brought back or whatever.
    I could definitely see Dunhill selling the recipes as they would be being sold by a company with a different name and the blends could be called something different so they would not be linked to Dunhill in any sort of 'named' way so fingers crossed they flog the old recipes to someone and they get released in the Uk.

Chris.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smudgersmissingleg: If you still have the tin for the Flake, would you mind posting the tobacco description from it?

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Jiminks, No problem mate it says: FLAKE (and then underneath) A traditional flake cut tobacco.
    If you need the tin descriptions from the Black Flake & Rolls I still have the tins for those as well as I am a bit of a horder when it comes to pipe tobacco packaging I hope this helps.

Chris

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I'll let you know if I do.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, adforbes, jrbjr, ray47, cossackjack, bnichols23, chasingembers, dukdalf, drrock, npod, jpmcwjr