Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

30th Bday Pipe

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tperoda85

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

Im looking to get a pipe built for my 30th birthday this year. I don't know alot about builders, can you guys recommend anyone in the US or Canada?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happy 30th birthday, T.

The list of possibilities nowadays is really endless, but to mention a few lesser known great makers;

Scott Thile
    Jerry Crawford
    J and J (John and Jared)

These three are lesser known than their more famous contemporaries, and prices are in the mid range for custom made pipes.

I would mention Rad Davis, but I've heard from some that he has stopped making custom orders; I could be wrong on that. His pipes are now world famous and his reputation is well deserved.

I'm sure others will give much more extensive lists.

Allan
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. forest7

forest7

Login to Send PM

4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I always hit up Bruce Weaver for my annual bday pipe.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/14752

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My kid brother will probably make you one if you provide him the materials.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/newbroom/album/picture/15342

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sasquatch over at briar, sweat & tears does some nice work. Eric Paulson does good work. I am determined to get a pipe this year from the forum member Zack at zhamricpipes.com
    His work is amazing and every pipe he does just gets better and better.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You should get about 20,000 different answers from this forum. Depends on what you're looking for in terms of style and expertise, and what your pocket will bear. There are a large number of highly regarded carvers around. They carve beautiful looking and decently engineered pipes. One who has made pipes on commission for me is Tony Fillenwarth. Every one of his pipes has been a winner. Rad Davis, J T Cooke, Wayne Teipen, Walt Cannoy, Michael Parks, Scottie Piersel, the list is endless. If I were going to go for my best of the best, I'd go with either Lee Von Erck, or Brad Pohlmann for my next commission. They've been creating amazing pipes for decades, longer than some of the other popular carvers have been alive. Lee in particular, because he developed his own oil curing process, delivers a pipe that smokes sweet from the first puff. But you're going to pay more for the extra expertise that more experienced carvers bring to their work, expertise that doesn't necessarily show on the surface, but which makes their pipes the kind that will continue to deliver for the long run.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Lee Von Erck was one of Bruce's instructors, and there are some similarities in their work. Have not yet acquired one of Erck's pieces, but he is very high on my list. Very natural designs.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have used Todd Harris and Clark Layton and have been very pleased with their work, did I say their prices were very reasonable.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mark Tinsky
    http://amsmoke.com/

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

What's your budget?

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   heeman, americaman, geopiper, upnorth1, georged, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, hauntedmyst, davidy97, npod, redglow, jiminks, bradical