25% Off All Pipe Tobacco @ Mars Cigars

(50 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jacks6
  • Latest reply from metalheadycigarguy
  1. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good Morning. I woke up to receive this notification in my inbox. Let's give these guys some business!

Yesterday, September 11th, I learned of the new tobacco tax in Pennsylvania. In respect of the special date, I've held off on this announcement until today.
    The new law, passed by a Republican legislature and signed by a Democratic governor, is imposing a new $.55 per OUNCE tax on tobacco products. (Cigarettes have their own separate tax increase and cigars are exempt). This tax goes into effect on October 1 and includes any in-store stock I may have.

So come October 1st, I need to inventory all my pipe tobacco and pay the tax on it. Obviously, the less stock, I have, the less tax I need to pay.

So starting now until September 30, 2016, all pipe tobacco is discounted another 25%! Tins AND BULK!
    This is a huge discount on our already heavily discounted prices, but I'd rather pass the savings on to you, than pay the state.

This sale has some conditions:
    Only tobacco in stock is subject to the sale.
    Quantities are limited to what is in stock.
    NO SPECIAL ORDER items will be accepted, even if they appear on the web site. If it is not in stock, it is not available for this sale.

After, September 30th.... truthfully, I'm not sure how we will proceed, but I expect us to still continue if at all possible. But for now, buy, buy, buy! You will never see these prices again!

Remember: First notice of 'scarce' tobaccos is always posted on our FaceBook page first, so be sure to sign up.

As always, I've listed some specials or new items below. Please feel free to look at them.

Specials can sell out suddenly so order soon.

Join us on Facebook as a fan of 'mars cigars & pipes'.
    Get updates on new arrivals and specials.
    See the quicklink on the right side of this email.

-Mike at mars

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sale kicks ASS!

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOt of things I buy are no longer in stock and if they are too small a quantity to bother with. Good luck to them.

Harris
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthbkr77

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I missed out on Rotary, Capstan Blue, and Sav 140.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They don't ship outside the US.
    By the way, I'm surprised to see that some of the biggest pipes/tobaccos sellers too aren't shipping outside the US. P&C to name one.

So sad. If anyone knows anyone personally at mars cigars, would you mind slipping them a word ?

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. orobusto

orobusto

Login to Send PM

"So come October 1st, I need to inventory all my pipe tobacco and pay the tax on it. Obviously, the less stock, I have, the less tax I need to pay."

That part right there is so unfair to a business, especially small ones running on tight margins since the goverment wants the tax before you can collect it from the consumer. You think you've bought and paid for your inventory free and clear and now you need to pay more.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I jumped on the opportunity. Not a big order, but I got the last 8 tins of Royal Yacht, and the last 3 tins of the C&D Christmas Blend and threw a tin of Pennington Gap in for good measure.

Edit: Woops, the discount is already included in the price. No biggie... over $2 cheaper than other places with the discount. Still a smoking deal.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The loose tobacco tax was the compromise for not banging premium cigars with huge taxes. Once again, pipe smokers are collateral damage.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everything decent seems to be out of stock.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Their stock was definitely wider than deep but I managed to snag a few GLPs I needed as well as a few POUNDS of G&H that P&C too quickly sold out of during their last sale.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lots of good deals there

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The power to tax involves the power to destroy"

I'm sure the extra tax will bring in a net negative after it drives the smaller B&Ms out of business and their contributions to other taxed areas is figured in. Can't collect business tax and licenses once you drive someone out of business.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I managed to snag a few MacBaren and Captain Earle's blends. I was disappointed that the Pennsylvania legislature let this new tax on loose tobacco go through.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I placed my first order very shortly after receiving the email this morning. I concentrated on the blends I knew would sell out quickly that my cellar needed. It was a large order. Just a few minutes ago I placed a second order that contains the other, 'less in demand', items and other blends not in danger of the grandfather ruling. To my astonishment, my second order number is nearly 130 above my first. So, that small operation is dealing with 150+ or so orders today. Must be busy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea, most things I would have gotten were out but I did fill out the Hermit-Captain Earles blends I wanted for the cellar. Let see since I live in PA and the new tax of .55 per ounce, I would owe $1803.40 in floor tax if I owned a B&M.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

shotime

Login to Send PM

going down on wed thanks

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hit their site too late last night. Of the ten blends I smoke and cellar all were out of stock. My loss but I'm glad some of you made out well.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried to order a few tins of Orlik Golden Sliced but they don't take Mastercard ! Or evidently Paypal !

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike must really be swamped. I made my first order at 11:00 AM Monday. I guess there were many earlier.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In an email exchange a few days ago, he told me it would be 4-5 days before he could send out my order. So yes, he is swamped.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone got their order yet? I placed mine at 8:30 right after opening the email monday morning. Haven't heard anything yet.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got mine on Saturday. I know two other people who did, too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got an email update last night that my second order (smaller of the two) is shipped. I wasn't worried but I am anxious to get my orders! I wonder how many orders they ended up getting last week. Sure felt like a feeding frenzy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

I got mine last week.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing yet...maybe because I made 4 orders...also no update in my Mars account yet.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. elguapo

elguapo

Login to Send PM

I just got an email last night that my order shipped, I think I placed it last Monday. I'm sure they were swamped with orders.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got an order confirmation, but no shipping email. Does that mean my order hasn't shipped yet? I ordered last Monday evening.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got an order confirmation, but no shipping email. Does that mean my order hasn't shipped yet? I ordered last Monday evening.

You will get a "Shipped" email. They are crazy busy with the flood of orders. Might not hurt to give them a call if you are concerned. Mike is a good guy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Now it seems as if there's only 25% OF all tobacco left...If that.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I placed my order just after midnight on Sept. 13. On Sept 17, my credit card had not yet been processed and my order status had not changed. I sent in an email and they advised they were still working on the orders from Sept 12. As of just a few minutes ago (9:15am Sept 20), my order status still hasn't changed and on last look yesterday my card still hasn't been processed. They're either extremely short handed or have a ton of orders to process. Either way I'm just waiting patiently.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike will get the orders out...The Face Book page says how swamped they are. He doesn't need any extra distractions, does he?

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just checked and my order still shows as received. I have dealt with Mike and he is a straight up good guy. I will just wait patiently and no concern here. It's not like I am going to run short or anything.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got my order yesterday. I'm one day shipping from his location.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

I placed my order 5 days ago, still hasn't shipped

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I checked this a week ago, but too many blends are out of stock. The broken ecommerce system requires you to click on each one to see what is in stock. That's a bit much for those who are not obsessives.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  37. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@deathmetal - Nothing left for you anyway...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/making-deathmetal-proud

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got my email and my order has shipped.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Skraps, that's a beautiful Royal Yacht score. That picture is also now my desktop background.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Skraps, that's a beautiful Royal Yacht score. That picture is also now my desktop background.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You will get a "Shipped" email. They are crazy busy with the flood of orders. Might not hurt to give them a call if you are concerned. Mike is a good guy.

Thanks, skraps.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my order that arrived a couple of days ago, 5# of McClelland 2035. I've jarred about half of it already. There's another order on the way with an assortment of GH ropes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Of course this happens somewhere from whom I cannot order. Ah well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Re: the MasterCard thing - I emailed Mike and he told me to check out using Money Order as payment method. Then send the money order and the order will ship when he gets it.

Depending on how patient you are, you can still take advantage of the sale if you're like me and all of your credit cards and your check debit card happen to be MasterCards.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  45. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would suggest that you talk to your bank about getting a Visa debit card. Some banks can give you the choice of MC or Visa or both. If not, most banks can issue you a zero-fee credit card from the provider of your choice. To make matters even more dangerous, there are a lot of zero interest/21 month cards out there now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well - I've never had an issue at all up to this point, and if I started procuring even more ways to spend money, I'll be typing further posts from either the hospital or the homeless shelter.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my order that arrived a couple of days ago, 5# of McClelland 2035. I've jarred about half of it already.

Damn, I'm glad I was able to get my measly 8 ozs! Good stuff!

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 years ago #
  48. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok. I got my shipping notification last night. Weird since I placed the order right after getting the sale notification. All's well. You can all sleep easy now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. eltice

eltice

Login to Send PM

Got a small order placed...16oz of McClelland 2015 and a couple tins of Dan.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My order arrived yesterday. I placed a second order a few days ago, so that should be shipping off in the next day or two. First order was 6 SG blends I haven't tried except one, and the second order was 5 100g tins of MacBaren HH Latakia Flake.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   shayde