Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

2018 MLB Playoffs

(62 posts)
  1. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Haven't seen a thread posted about the MLB Playoffs yet and always enjoy the sports discussions here. Anybody watching? Yankees vs Red Sox was a good game but it's not looking so great for us Braves fans tonight.

Posted 9 months ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, we watch. Wife more avidly than me.

Thank you for not posting spoilers!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. jjmitchem

Jim (Chap)

Login to Send PM

Long time Red Sox fan here - in fact (you will all love this) My Grandfather immigrated from Ireland to Boston and fell in love with New England Sports, particularly the Red Sox. When he passed (sadly before they won the Series in 2013) and his will was read we all discovered that he had placed in it the clause that "All his descendants would be Red Sox fans"

- Chap
    “A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  4. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watch every game except those the Evil Empire plays in.

Posted 9 months ago #
  5. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

I was surprised by the Braves’ choice in Sanchez. That matchup against Kershaw didn’t seem even. Oh well, on the game two.

Milwaukee looks to be on a roll. They are playing very strong.

I don’t have TBS so I can’t watch the AL games. But Go Red Socks! Houston is always fun to watch too. The young raw talent makes for great baseball.

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been an Indians fan since the late 1960s. When I was a boy, my great grandfather would listen to the games on the radio and keep score.

Mike S.

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

I'm from Houston and use to follow baseball when Bagwell and Biggio played, and stopped watching after their heyday. But after the Astros race last year, Ill watch the games when I can. They do make for exciting baseball (which can be difficult sometimes).

Posted 9 months ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The stinger "B's". The killer B's- Always a third one, too, but several of them, including Beltran.

Go SOX! 1969- Yaz, Petrocelli, Fisk, Conigliaro, Rice. What a group!

Posted 9 months ago #
  9. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was disappointed but not surprised when the Yankees beat my A’s. The bullpen scheme did not work in a loud and energy filled Yankee stadium. I would have liked to see Mengden get the start for at least three or four innings then bring in Trivino and the rest

Posted 9 months ago #
  10. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go Red Sox!!!! Long time member of Soxnation. So many heartbreaks and joys over the years...

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 9 months ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Big Sox fan here as I grew up 2.5 miles from Fenway Park and used to live their in the summers. I was at the game in 1967 when they clinched the pennant.

That 67 team was amazing and we would have won if not for this maggot named Hamilton who hit Conigliaro in the eye before the series started.

My dad died before 2004 and he never got to see them win a W.S. Now I have seen them win 3.
    They had a great year, but they are not built for the playoffs. Their bullpen is weak and besides Sale, our starting pitching is average at best. I see Houston repeating.

Harris
    Posted 9 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

Rockies! Even though we are about to make an early out. Someday!

Astros bandwagon on deck! That world series last year was awesome to watch. So many great games...

Posted 9 months ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once I get into the series, it's difficult to break loose. The teams that drag us in are, for me, either of the Chicago teams but first of all the White Sox -- no chance this year -- and on my wife's side, the St. Louis Cardinals and the New York Yankees. I always enjoyed watching Jeter play, that unearthly ease.

Posted 9 months ago #
  14. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Us White Sox fans have a few years to wait sadly. Hopefully the prospects everyone had graded top notch pan out.

Posted 9 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to say, when the White Sox finally surfaced in the Series after a century, it was a humdinger of a drama. I saw my first Big League game at the old Comiskey Park: my dad had wangled primo baseline seats on the first deck. I was about 8 and became a fan for life. I was in my mid-fifties before I saw them in the Series. In Chicago, the White Sox are somewhat the working guy's team, and the Cubs, up there on the north side draw a somewhat higher tone crowd from city and suburbs. I think the old Comiskey Park location is now part of the parking lot for the new stadium.

Posted 9 months ago #
  16. brucem

brucem

Login to Send PM

LETS GO YANKEES !!!! come back to NY 1-1

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I'm a lifelong Braves fan, and it's just been a joy to watch them go about their business this season, after a long dry spell. But things aren't looking too good in the NLDS...

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 9 months ago #
  18. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys. It’s easy to be a Yankee or Red Sox fan. It’s like having a rack full of Dunhills and a cellar full of 30 yr old Balkan Sobranie easy. lol
    Mike S.

Posted 9 months ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to wax nostalgic, but I remember when baseball was THE American (U.S.) sport. Kids played it at every recess, and when the Series was played, we all walked around clutching little battery operated transistor radios, as they were called, with scratchy little speakers, to catch all the action. Football and basketball were somewhat to fill the gap until baseball spring training.

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. brucem

brucem

Login to Send PM

I still prefer to listen to the ball game rather than watch TV,I will be tonight in fact while going to work and while there. The broadcaster is an imprtant aspect of that enjoyment on how they paint the picture in your mind.
    Though I no longer listen on a transistor radio I did once upon a time.
    I think baseball still reigns supreme here in the Northeast.

Posted 9 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

Anybody but the Dodgers.

Posted 9 months ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think baseball still reigns supreme here in the Northeast.

How can you be a Yankees fan living in the Northeast??

Posted 9 months ago #
  23. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Brew Crew is up 2 games to 0. I'm hoping they make short work of the Rockies in 4.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  24. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I grew up watching the Braves and the Cubs and they'll always have a special place in my heart. I enjoy watching any good baseball game but it's always more enjoyable if I get to watch one of my teams win or the Yankees lose. Enjoying some McCranie's Red Ribbon right now and I'm not giving up hope that the Red Sox can put up 4 or more in the bottom of the 9th! Hope springs eternal!

Posted 9 months ago #
  25. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NH Red Sox fan here. There was a time in my life that I would be like "oh no, here we go again - 1-1 vs the Yankees, it's gonna happen again!". But I've lived to enjoy three World Series championships in the last fifteen years so I am not complaining ever again. I cannot even describe the euphoria of 2004. I was happy to see the Cubs win a couple of years ago. I think the team with the longest drought now is the Cleveland Indians? In which case - if it's not the Red Sox - I hope for Mike Stanley's sake the Indians take it all.

Posted 9 months ago #
  26. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Been a fan of baseball pretty much all my life. I love the game itself and will watch any team play. Only favorites I really have are the Angels (paternal grandfather was a fan), the Pirates (Maternal grandfather was a life long fan) and the Yankees because of Yogi Berra. Turned 18 in the original Yankee Stadium.

So if not the Yankees then I really don't have a preference. Would be cool to see the Indians break their draught though.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  27. texasfiremedic

texasfiremedic

Login to Send PM

Go Rangers! I'll be a fan regardless of how much the choke. Love going to the games on dollar hot dog night for some Nolan Ryan Beef!

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  28. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Im a hockey guy, but Lets go ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 9 months ago #
  29. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bronx Bombers for life! Go Yanks!

Posted 9 months ago #
  30. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All sports fans will enjoy this story, especially Bostonians.

https://themoth.org/stories/the-magic-nail

Posted 9 months ago #
  31. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

And the Braves are finally on the board! Looking forward to game 4 tomorrow night.

Posted 9 months ago #
  32. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a weird game! I'd be much happier with Atlanta absent that stupid chant and tomahawk chop.

Posted 9 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

aywangca

Login to Send PM

Lets Go Dodgers! Go Dodgers! Go Dodgers!
    I used to live behind the stadium back in the college days and before that internet era I would of know all the game nights just by looking out my windows.

Posted 9 months ago #
  34. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, it's been rough being a Braves fan, but we take our lumps and carry on. Still hard to believe that since 1991 we've had 5 NL pennants and 13 NL East Division Titles with only 1 WS win. With all the talent we've had in that span, it's sometimes hard to believe it. The current playoff run was not looking too good the first couple of games, but we at least forced a game 4. Here's to hoping, anyways! Don't have cable, cut the cord about 2 years ago to protest the high prices of trying to get what I want to watch without the crap channels I don't, so I don't get to watch them, but hey, sometimes it's just better that way. Go Braves!

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 9 months ago #
  35. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watching closely! Baseball is my favorite sport by a wide margin.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 9 months ago #
  36. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm watching all the games. Haven't missed a playoff or World Series game since 1968.

Posted 9 months ago #
  37. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lifetime CLE fan here.

Clinging to hope, but . . .

So long as the evil, much-hated Yankees lose, though, I'll manage to survive.

Posted 9 months ago #
  38. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Giants fan here. It was nice having the run they had in the previous years, but it's been a struggle lately. I'll happily watch any team play at any time though - love the game. I prefer NL over AL though because I believe pitchers should have to hit, but the DH rule debate is old as time, and no one wants to seem to budge on it.

Am looking forward to the electronic strike zone, though.

Posted 9 months ago #
  39. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the 8th inning now, and it isn't pretty for Indians fans.

GO SOX!

And whomever, beat L.A.!

The one bright note with the Yanks is McCutcheon. Class act, and not a beast like most of the New Yorkers. I knew my Giants had given up as soon as his trade was announced.

Posted 9 months ago #
  40. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

The one bright note with the Yanks is McCutcheon. Class act, and not a beast like most of the New Yorkers. I knew my Giants had given up as soon as his trade was announced

Judge is a class act too. He does a lot for fans.

Posted 9 months ago #
  41. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one bright note with the Yanks is McCutcheon. Class act, and not a beast like most of the New Yorkers. I knew my Giants had given up as soon as his trade was announced.

Quite so. They were done long before, but after Posey went out for the surgery and we lost Cutch, there was no doubt. Maybe we can keep a healthy roster next year! Was glad to have McCutchen while we did though - as you say, a class act and one of the best lead-off men in the game. He'll be missed.

Posted 9 months ago #
  42. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This guy Holt who hit for the cycle last night, capping it off with a HR in the 9th, hit that home run off the Catcher.
    His cycle should be asterisked. lol.

Posted 9 months ago #
  43. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And the Braves didn't let me down, continued their seemingly poor performance in the post-season. Maybe one day. Although they might not should have been there. They won the division, but the NL East was a very bad division this year. Last night was also capped off by the amazing defeat my Redskins took at the hands of the Saints...I should just stop pulling for teams, I think I bring the bad luck.

Posted 9 months ago #
  44. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Judge is a class act too. He does a lot for fans.

Indeed. My wife is a huge fan of his.

Later.....

Wow. The Yanks got spanked. Even I felt that beat down was excessive!

But often, it seems to me, when a team blows away an opponent in a series, the next game is opposite. We'll see!

Posted 9 months ago #
  45. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even I felt that beat down was excessive!

And to cap it off, they brought in the catcher to pitch in the 9th...that's rough.

Posted 9 months ago #
  46. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sixteen to one? Sixteen to one? That's not a slump, it's a sinkhole. (The Red Sox beat the Yankees last night. Worst loss in NY post-season history.)

Posted 9 months ago #
  47. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

The Red Sox / Yankees game was so lopsided that I can sort of understand why so many of the fans left early. But Brock Holt showed why you never want to leave a game early when he hit a 9th inning homer to record the first cycle in playoff history. Even if you are rooting for the Yankees, wouldn't you want to be present for history in the making?

Posted 9 months ago #
  48. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

All sports fans will enjoy this story, especially Bostonians.

https://themoth.org/stories/the-magic-nail

Curl - I really enjoyed that story. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 months ago #
  49. davidy97

davidy97

Login to Send PM

Astros are looking good, although you wouldn't know it by watching sports center on espn.

Posted 9 months ago #
  50. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been a New York Mets fan since 1985, and hate the NY Yankees and Atlanta Braves with a passion.
    With that said I'm pulling for a Milwaukie vs Houston World Series.

Posted 9 months ago #
  51. jjmitchem

Jim (Chap)

Login to Send PM

GO SOX!!!

Posted 9 months ago #
  52. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And they did! The bottom of the 9th was the tightest end of game I've ever seen.

Posted 9 months ago #
  53. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank goodness, the Evil Empire has been crushed for this year. Now I can watch the playoffs in peace.

Posted 9 months ago #
  54. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I might watch a game or two, and hope not to get stuck. Right now, I'd have to flip a coin to pick a team, though the ancestral family is, in part, from Massachusetts.

Posted 9 months ago #
  55. brucem

brucem

Login to Send PM

As much as it pains me to say the better team won last night and it was the Red Sox.

Posted 9 months ago #
  56. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank goodness, the Evil Empire has been crushed for this year. Now I can watch the playoffs in peace.

Not quite. The Dodgers are still in it.

Posted 9 months ago #
  57. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, my team being out of the running, I don't know who I'll pull for. Might have to go for the Brewers. I'm always a sucker for pulling for the team that's never won a championship before.

Posted 9 months ago #
  58. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Astros and Red Sox game was a good one tonight. Since my team is done I'm thinking I may be pulling for the Astros but it would be cool to see the Brewers win it all. As long as it's not the Dodgers!

Posted 9 months ago #
  59. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife is Houston, I am Boston. But we're both rooting for Milwaukee.

Posted 9 months ago #
  60. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

I'm on the North Shore of Mass, so I'm a big Red Sox fan.

Man, I love post season baseball! This is a very likable Boston team too, IMO--not really any arrogant jerks on this club.

This year, however, Boston even outspent the Yankees. I can certainly see how fans of smaller market teams would get pissed off at the big spenders.

Posted 9 months ago #
  61. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would have preferred the Brewers to the Dodgers but the Dodgers don't upset me the way the Yanks do. The Red Sox will be a heavy favorite to win but a guy at MLB did a position by position comparison of the teams and you would think the Dodgers should win easily based on it.

Posted 9 months ago #
  62. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sox all the way. You have fools like Puig and Machado on the other team. Nuff said. (Though really, that isn't the key. Team play is, and the Dodgers are at risk of becoming ego driven again.)

Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tozert, jvnshr, bigpond, willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud