2016-2017 Box Pass Thread

(485 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shanelktown
  • Latest reply from lucky695
  1. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want to go home and break it open so badly, but I have a client coming in at 5:30, so I'm stuck! GAHHH

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carly Simon- Anticipation
    Oh wait, that's a "what are you listening to" post. Yet it is so appropriate. Lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom, that's the worst. I have it delivered to the office in the past and cannot resist sneaking a peak.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm trying to decide what to try first when I get home. My wife already knows I'm going to be "scarce" at best for the next two weeks...

There are so many in there that I have been wanting to try for so long. This is insanely exciting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, my Gentle Jesus.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Time to get to work, fellas...

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Oh Yeah! Get in there Tom !!!!

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You really should create a filing system by genre and alphabetic order overwhelming box ain't it, Tom?

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alphabetical by blend name would probably be the most helpful. Finding anything in there is a task.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The overwhelmingness of the Box Pass is what makes it so awesome. To much organizing will just take all the amazing out of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First impressions:

1. This is a crazy box with an insane amount of blends. There's no way I'll ever get to all the blends I want to try, even doubling my usual smoking schedule.

2. I could be paranoid, but I'm really suspect of those small-sized mylar bags. It seems like even though I'm zipping the closures, air is free to go in and out of them. If you purposefully seal them with a bit of air in them, and put any pressure on the bag, the air flows right out. Many of them blends seem quite dry. I wonder if the repeated opening/closing of the bags compromises the seal.

3. Last night, I had a small bowl of Capstan Blue (very dry flake). It's a good, serviceable Virginia that's not overly complicated. It's got the usual Virginia flavors going for it with some darker fruit notes. I like it. I also tried Sleepy Hollow. I found that to be an "upper echelon" aromatic. Definitely well done. I personally didn't get much "pumpkin" out of it, but the vanilla and spices that were there would keep me coming back. Very nice. I then opened the Mammoth Rope Chew and sliced off a healthy hunk of that to stuff in my cheek. I REALLY liked that. I enjoy Red Man and the like rarely, but find them overpoweringly sweet. I can't stand to keep those in my mouth for very long before the overwhelming sweetness makes me wretch. This Mammoth is more my speed. It definitely has added sugar, but it's maybe 1/4 what you get from Red Man. This tastes like tobacco in a big, bad way. Nicotine is tolerable, and if it were more socially acceptable to chaw on tobacco and constantly spit gobs of brown sludge from my face, I could see this being an every day experience for me.

More later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was joking about filing. This is a box o' chaos and an actualization of entropy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, the small ESD cheapo mylar bags are not working as well as I had hoped. They are MUCH better than regular ziploc baggies, in that the plastic itself is an O2 barrier, but the zip seals are wholly insufficient. We should try to find similarly sized bags with a much better seal. The mylar bag that I use for holding opened tins has a very good zip seal on it. They also offer a 3x5 bag,, and a 4x6 bag. We should try those out and see how they hold up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah it's a difficult thing finding the perfect bags for this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoked yourself into a early grave? I imagine that somebody is seen taking delivery of The Box... and then vanishes, not to be seen for days. Eventually the police are called and visit the home where you're found naked and near death in a nicotine induced psychosis, screaming out blenders names and how there's not enough time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

That sounds autobiographical, Nate

Get Pipe Notebook for Android on the Play Store!
    http://pipenotebook.com
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Echie, I'm offended that you have so little faith in me. Is it accurate? Sure, it is. Still, it hurts my feelings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds about right. Wish I didn't have to waste box time with being at work...

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

I'm awfully sorry, and regret any offence I may have caused. I fully trust you to be found naked screaming out blenders names. An example to us all!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How are things going? I haven't heard any news of a man being found naked with a box of tobacco samples so I guess things are going well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jsmarriner

jsmarriner

Login to Send PM

I wish I could join in on this fun but I know me. Ive known me for almost 44 years now. It would take me weeks to actually mail the box to the next guy. Not cause i was trying to keep it for myself but because I am horrible about actually going to the post office or fedex or whatever and shipping it out. Its a great idea though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll have time this weekend to really get in to the box and get some work done before it's ready to ship - I guess Wednesday is the day it goes?

My first weekend with it, I was in Vegas, and work has had me tied up quite a bit. I haven't put even 1/4 of the effort in to this that it requires, unfortunately.

I'm also going to try and sort out some blends that are just too dry to keep traveling. Reno's 10% humidity or whatever it is has not done them many favors, I fear. Of course, I'll be working on adding as needed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm already salivating ...

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tinsel, you ready?

Will be going out Wednesday morning.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was born ready

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What all was added and seems like thinks are running smoothly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have not yet added anything. Honestly, I don't know where to put it unless I remove some blends, and I don't want to take anything out that people were looking forward to.

Kind of at an impass there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

I LOVE that this is the conundrum we're facing: "I want to give away some excellent pipe tobacco! But then I'll have to remove some other excellent pipe tobacco! And there's no room for more excellent pipe tobacco in this MASSIVE box full of excellent pipe tobacco!"

Ponder it over a pipe or three, Tom. I'm sure you'll figure it out

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll make some tough decisions tomorrow and let you all know what's out and what's in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

I vote nothing is removed. If there is no room for more, jam something new in, or don't worry about it. But I'd also say adding stuff will be more important as we get further down the list and room becomes available. I'm voting that Tom gets a pass on adding anything this time around. I know for a fact I'll smoke the shit out of this box and there will be room to add stuff then. If Tom wants to send something to add to what I will put in, it'll all work out. It's a monstrosity of a box packed to the gills. We don't want it exploding in transit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's quite the overwhelming box ain't it?! I still like the idea of adding only the amount that you've taken. Grab a few blends and add a few.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

Perhaps, while trying to find our perfect bag solution, we could "seal" the top of the bags with tape. It would better restrict airflow, and it is easy to peel/cut to get at the tobacco.
    I think this would be especially helpful for bags that gets skipped over a few times, so no one notices the slow drying out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm going to close it up and pass as is.

I have a few things I'd like to add, but I'll send them along down the line when there's more room. I could send to Tinsel separately, so he can add if he ends up taking some volume out, or wait a few more rounds if need be.

I didn't get to smoke nearly as much out of there as I would have liked.. Probably 10 bowls total, and as you can imagine, it didn't make a dent.

There was only one blend to kill, and that was Christmas Cheer, of which there was about half a bowl worth. I'll replace that with Peterson Irish Flake.

That all OK?

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All good by me. Don't overmuch worry about it. There's sufficient abundance in The Box that as long as folks act in good will, it's turns out fine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That all works. Just a heads up I may call this box home at some point for maintenance and at that point if anyone wants to add they can just send blends to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok - and for whomever takes on the responsibility to rebag these blends, if that solution presents itself, I'll volunteer to buy the bags and have them shipped to whomever is working on it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

It all sounds good to me. No worries.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Saying goodbye and taping it up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

If no one adds Christmas Cheer before it gets to me, I'll add it. Unfortunately, some blends will be consumed. If a blend is in there that you already have, why smoke it ? Just my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Exactly. I only sampled stuff I knew I probably wouldn't happen upon again and I didn't already have. That's the point of the box!

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To that point, some more thoughts on a couple I sampled:

Condor Ready Rubbed: Wowza. Now I know what a UK Lakeland is. One of those experiences I'm glad I had, but I don't necessarily want to repeat. It's a good burner with plenty of strength, but the flavor profile isn't something that would keep me buying it. That said, I TOTALLY get why this is a lot of folks' daily driver. Good quality stuff - but "smells like my great grandmother" according to the wife.

Smoker's Haven Exotique: Really complex, really tangy, lightly smoky, herbal, earthy and wholly good. It tastes "green" but on purpose, if that makes any sense. The cut is a little thin for my tastes, as I think I ended up compacting it too much through the smoke, but it's not too fussy. This is a blend I could smoke often, and I don't smoke Latakia blends often. One of those blends that just SCREAMS quality.

The box will hit the post office in 2 hours and I'll post the tracking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthbkr77

Login to Send PM

On average, how much do guys usually take out/replace before shipping off? 2-3 bowls of 2-3 blends? Varies? I've done plenty of bombing and trading but never a box pass.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's give those bags pictured above a try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's give those bags pictured above a try.

Agreed. Whoever indicates they have the time to rebag everything (118 blends or so?), I'll make the purchase and have them shipped to said person.

On average, how much do guys usually take out/replace before shipping off? 2-3 bowls of 2-3 blends? Varies? I've done plenty of bombing and trading but never a box pass.

Personally, all the intentions and preconceived notions I had went out the window when I opened the box. I was hesitant to smoke anything I've already tried, didn't want to finish any blends for fear of disappointing anyone down the line, and basically paralyzed myself haha. That, and life happened and made it difficult to spend as much time with it as I'd hoped. As an earlier post indicated, so long as it's handled with good will, all should be fine. Take some, add some, send it off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What Tom said.

People generally don't take enough. Occasionally, there will be some dolt who cleans us out and puts a tin of molte dolce back in, but that is the exception, not the rule.

People should not hesitate to try everything that they want to, and (at least at this point in time) take more than they give.

EDIT: Rebagging everything will take some time, and it would be good if you have a label maker. Some of the labels on bags now will peel off and be re-used, but not most. But it's a good opportunity to get rid of the desiccated blends, and a good opportunity to try a little of everything in the box that you haven't tried yet. I would offer to do it, but I know that I don't have the time right now with my mom in the hospital.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about your mom, woodsroad. But I think you captured the spirit of something like this. No one will be upset if you are trying new blends and having fun, and not smoking the whole damned tin. This seems like a really good group of people who aren't in this just to take tobacco. I feel like one goal is to try as many new blends as you have time for and throw some interesting replacements in, given enough space to do so.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and not smoking the whole damned tin

Brown Sugar Flake - was tempting. I reserved myself to one flake, though.

That is a DAMN fine smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm hesitant to post a photo of the receipt on an image hosting site, but here's the tracking!!!! Off to Kentucky, where inevitably at least some of the tobacco in the box came from!

Tinsel, prepare yourself. Take some time off work. Order some small batch coffee beans and buy a bottle of rare scotch. Your life is about to change!

9534 6100 5091 6321 0684 25

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tinsel, prepare yourself. Take some time off work. Order some small batch coffee beans and buy a bottle of rare scotch. Your life is about to change!

Ummm .... this is Kentucky, dude. 'Round these parts, we drink BOURBON, not scotch

Lucky for me, I'm gonna have the box on a holiday week. I'll have Thanksgiving and the day after off from work, so I'll have plenty of time for smoking with a belly full of good heavy food. Finally, something is going my way this year!

Looking forward to my turn with the box.

Here's how I imagine opening the box will look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRRKKKUAtoc

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah. It's like that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well stated, Crash.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last round was a great group too. I got in on the box just after the last lost one. I am so excited. It is a great feeling, getting the box. One of the few times the childlike excitement of Christmas comes back. I ordered 100 4x6 bags. When it comes here in a month or two I will be ready to do some patching up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Atta kid. It is better than a Nintendo or anything you could buy at a store. Many hands have touched this box with the express purpose of passing on joy to those they'll never meet. Without trying to wax poetic too much; you can FEEL that in the box. It makes one REALLY intimidated re: "fuckin it up."

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipesmokingtom, I was lucky enough to score an early tin of brown sugar flake. It was amazing. I still didn't smoke the whole damned tin. I sent some to a buddy who was gutted that they couldn't get their hands on it. That was a hard sample to let go, but worth it to share. I have a special pickaxe pipe that has had only brown sugar flake through it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The eagle has landed...

Posted 12 months ago #
  56. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A day early - very nice!

Posted 12 months ago #
  57. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

See you in a nicotine daze in two weeks, Tinsel.

Posted 12 months ago #
  58. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Brown Sugar Flake! It's one of my all time favs. I was able to grab a few and was worth sharing. Seriously sucks it's no longer available. Hopefully the new administration will fix things and we'll see it come back around. To those who haven't received the box, give it a smoke!!

Posted 12 months ago #
  59. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NOTE: The BSF was approaching perfect moisture when I shipped it, but it may be prudent for it to find its way to a bag before it travels much further.

Posted 12 months ago #
  60. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The box is overwhelming. There's enough here to keep the average pipe smoker busy for months. So far I've only had a couple bowls, but I'm looking forward to digging in deeper over thanksgiving.

Posted 12 months ago #
  61. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please remember to report your thoughts on what you've sampled!

Posted 12 months ago #
  62. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please remember to report your thoughts on what you've sampled!

Of course!

Bengal Slices: Sample was pretty dry, so after I packed it I kept it unlit in my mouth for a while and breathed through it to try and re-hydrate it a bit. I'm not generally very keen on latakia, so this one wasn't a huge turn-on for me, but it's a very well made from excellent leaf and full of flavor. I can see why so many enjoy it.

St Bruno ready rubbed: This one was WAY more up my alley than the bengal slices. Loved it. Gonna have to get some on my next order. Great virginias and the KDF gave it a nice little kick and body. I didn't really detect much of the "floral essences" that tobaccoreviews.com said are in it, but did pick up some of the fruit/citrus. Whatever toppings are used, they are minimal/complimentary, not overbearing.

Posted 12 months ago #
  63. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finally got the chance today to sit down for a few bowls.

The Mick McQuaid Square Cut really jumped out for me. Wow, what a great smoke. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that US retailers carry it. Guess I'll have to try a European retailer.

Also Tried a bowl of C&D autumn evening. One of the first aromatics I've tried that I could actually see myself keeping in stock.

Posted 12 months ago #
  64. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both very good blends sir. Sorry I have been very busy and the holidays don't help.

Posted 11 months ago #
  65. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really have to join this next time. Between the "Pay it forward", and "Secret Santa", and other sharing with members, I've had a lot of fun sharing and sampling.

"I really believe all the things I say to you, it's just that none of them are true."
    -Nomeansno
    Posted 11 months ago #
  66. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Next time is now. Just PM Shane your info and it will get to you!

And I agree. Sharing is caring and giving really does feel as good as getting.

Posted 11 months ago #
  67. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Next time is now. Just PM Shane your info and it will get to you!

really? not too late? COOL! PMing Shane the info now

Posted 11 months ago #
  68. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your added sir.

Posted 11 months ago #
  69. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So where are we at on this.

Posted 11 months ago #
  70. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So where are we at on this.

I still have a few days left with the box. Will be planning to tape it up monday and ship it out to the next lucky contestant on tuesday.

I haven't even remotely made a dent in it. I've had probably about 10 bowls. Gonna try to get in another 10 or so before my time is up, since I should have some free time this weekend.

Still trying to decide what I want to contribute. English blends are very well represented in the box, and virginias and VaPers seem are a very tiny minority, so I'm thinking that I'm gonna add something in that vein.

Posted 11 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mcitinner1, bluesmk, tbradsim1, mikethompson, snowhill, paulie66scandinavian, uperepik, ben88, jravenwood, rist, codecreatively, prairiedruid