Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:  No tags yet. 

20 Year old Bengal Slices

(14 posts)
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As some of you may remember around Christmas time I popped the lid on a tin of Bengal Slices from the early 90's. I don't typically write reviews of tobacco that you can no longer get, but this was such a popular tobacco I though I would write about my disappointment. Whats that you say? Disappointed, how could you be dissapointed in such an iconic brand? Don't get me wrong I like English and Balkan blends but there is so much out there that surpasses this stuff in quality and flavour that I didn't want to see someone pay an elevated price on ebay for something that wasn't worth it. So the good, nice slices, smells great in the tin. Great black colour. Unfortunaty thats the good. Hard to keep lit no matter how much its rubbed out. Very acidic pipe smoke, first time for tongue bite in years.. my wife says it smells like dirty socks. Honestly the taste was not much better. Some Latakia, but the Virginia was very forward and tasted like nails. So fellas sometimes the idea of a classic blend is much better than the actual experiance. Hope I have saved someone a hefty price tag. Oh and just in case anyone is wondering I spread the tin across six different pipe shapes. Same result.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing the review pal.

I'm feeling like we're so spoiled for great tobaccos today, that I don't need to shell out mad money for aged tins. That having been said, it is interesting to hear about an iconic blend.

I've heard it said, often, that Orientals and Latakia just don't benefit from aging. As I contemplate building my cellar I am trying to manage this by cellaring Virginias and VaPers but keeping relatively low levels of recent Latakia forward and Oriental blends as condiments.

If you have a flake or two of the BS left I'd be curious to try a bowl.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You got it bud, you can have whats left. I'll bring it along on the 6th.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This tin has most likely reached its aging zenith some years ago and began its decline on the other end. That sucks, can't always get a winner.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

clarkj734

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately every blend peaks at a different time / age. In my experience the more Lat and / or Oriental content the less run way a head of it. 10 years give or take for englishes for my palette. Everyone's tastes are different though.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am smoking an old lat blend that knocks my socks off.

I do like the smell of fresh asphalt paving, and diesel fuel is my cologne of choice, so there is that....

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 trailboss.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't judge a heavy Oriental/Latakia blend by what others say about the aroma! Twenty yr. Bengal Slices is a far cry from the original incarnation. I had an old tin from about that time, maybe about 15 yrs old. It wasn't bad but it wan't anything I would seek out at premium prices.

I've had a number of 20 plus yrs aged Latakia blends which were AWESOME.....J.B. Russell Danish made Bengal Slices is not one of them.

Mike S.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About 12 years ago, a friend gave me some Bengal Slices knowing I had been eager to try them. I thought something must have been wrong with the tin because what I smoked was just not good. I knew the reputation of the product, and never could figure out why I disliked it so. Maybe the runs aren't consistent? I don't know, but I sure wish I had a chance to smoke the Slices that others have raved about.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

@pruss I think it's the Latakia heavy blends that don't benefit as much from aging. From my experience Va/Orientals without Latakia age almost as well as straight Virginias. Anyone else agree?

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope you're right jon11. I have high hopes that Tudor Castle is going to age well.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

+1 Jon. I would agree completely. My experience has been that though nowhere near as beneficial as it is to a VA, age actually will improve on the quality of a good Oriental tobacco. Put the two together and you can have heaven in a can.

I think that a Va/Oriental with very light handed Lat will still experience benefits from age.Anytime the Lat content is on the heavy side, it just won't do much. Often the Lat will wind up overpowering the subtle nuances of the age on the VA and Orientals.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

Pruss ,Tudor Castle is one I can assure you will be age just fine!! One of my favorite Va/oriental blends in existence

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Years ago I smoked a good bit of Bengal slices though I found it just a bit heavy.I had to be in the mood for it.I never tried it aged.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   drrock, ben88, seldom, cosmicfolklore, samw74, voorhees, pepesdad1, p40warhawk, tonym99, armonts, lightxmyfire, greeneyes, charmcitygentleman, the85boro, orlandofurioso, bluegrassbrian, dukdalf, lawdawg