2 Years Into Pipes & Tobacco

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by newbroom
  • Latest reply from indianafrank
  1. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After two full years of pipe smoking, I'm sitting here smoking a bowl and thinking about what I've done, gained, lost or found.
    I've learned a lot about the subject(S) And, yet, I realize I could continue to learn about these 'things' as long as I want. That's a big part of why I've been drawn into this realm.
    I'm thinking about all the pipes I've got in these 2 years and which makers or styles I don't have and might keep an eye open for.
    I retired in 2013 due to health reasons and at that time I hadn't smoked anything in about 5 years.
    I became extremely stressed physically which took a toll mentally and from the deep recesses of long established nicotine addiction, I reached for an old tin of Drum I'd kept on a shelf and rolled up a cigarette. It didn't hurt.
    I had long realized that the paper in cigarettes were not a friend and it dawned on me that I might be able to by pass paper with a pipe.
    Here's where I go to the drug store and get my first pipe in 40 yrs, a Missouri Meerschaum Legend.
    2 yrs. later, I've accumulated more pipes than I smoke and loads of varietal or genres of tobacco blends.
    My health has been relatively stable, if not my mind, but I'm always working on both.
    Pipes and pipe tobacco have been a soothing balm, a fascinating journey, and a surprising source of camaraderie.
    This forum has been a great place to learn and share!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Congratulations newbroom. We are really happy to have you here.

I also quit smoking cigarettes after starting the pipe thing. I couldn't do it instantly though. I started the pipe hobby of mine last year in September and since then until this June I was smoking a pipe once or twice a week. I quit cigarettes on 1st of June and since then I am smoking pipe tobacco once or twice a day. I also enjoy cigars occasionally. One of the greatest things I have done about pipe smoking was joining this forum. I have met (virtually) lots of great people here.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We've been walking a similar path broom and for a similar amount of time. An activity which provides nicotine, kills time, provides a reason to buy cool things, and unexpected camaraderie is exactly what the doctor ordered. I echo your sentiment.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've learned a lot about the subject(S) And, yet, I realize I could continue to learn about these 'things' as long as I want. That's a big part of why I've been drawn into this realm.

At 17 when I began 25 years ago, an elderly gentleman told me that you could learn all you need to know about pipe smoking in 5 minutes, and it would take many lifetimes to master. Carry on my friend, and happy smoking!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, happy smoking!

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, I also will be two years at the end of this month. A great ride so far.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations!

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good on you my friend, and happy smoking!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We've been walking a similar path broom
    I was just trying to figure out how my automobile experience aligns.
    I've ridden in the back'seat' of a 911, for 5 hours, in below freezing weather, and I'm 6'3.5".
    I looked at the stars for what seemed like minutes but was actually hours one special night.
    And, then there's the health stuff, the pipe stuff, and the joy of pain. It's all about perspective.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

while here, I have set my goal to switch only to pipes just after when I'm done with my few(3) Ryo tobacco pouches and plan not to restock them no more,in past I was primarly smoking cigarettes during 30 years yet occasional cigars and cigarillos in addition+ there were pipes on and off /me I do have 10 good briar in my possession/its about time I thing when one is reaching his 50th birthday in the end of the current month, Good to know you folks,It was all my pleasure.Have a Nice Sunday day coming down

01pm central eu time))

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well, this September will be 47 years I'm smoking a pipe. Just finished a bowl of Billy Budd in one of my Aldo's. I own 5 Aldo's and ALL are great smokers!!! If your also a cigar smoker try some Billy Budd tobacco soon. Oh, I have accumulated 77 pipes in my collection. A recent custom built poker from Don Warren. A GREAT smoking Morta pipe!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Newbroom, I came back to pipe smoking about the same time you discovered it. I enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for being a part of this forum.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   eeshooter, artificialme, hawky454, hoosierpipeguy, frankrem, mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob