(8 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by mackeson
  • Latest reply from londonmake
  1. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,
    I'm a new member, but an old smoker (I posted an intro)
    Wanted to know if anyone else packed two blends *separately* in one bowl. I'm not talking about a home blend (which I do quite frequently) but two distinct tobaccos. As an example, I already packed my "after the kids go to bed" pipe for tonight with the bottom 3rd Blackwoods flake and the rest Nightcap. I like this mix because I get the smoky/sweet latakia for a while with some nicotine strength, then at the end a nice mellow sweetness that has been flavoured by the latakia.
    -Bob

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean that you layer them (the blends); yeah, that's called a parfait, like the dessert. It's an old tradition. Now and then for me, but I like the home mixes better.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ah yes, "parfait." I'd forgotten the term, but it makes sense. See what so long away from other pipe smokers does to the brain
    I use this method at least 2-3 times a week

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. johnnyiii

johnnyiii

Login to Send PM

When i lay some tobacco on my desk to pack i put what i dont smoke in a half pint left over jar. When it gets half full I carry it around and smoke it for a day. It can start as chocolate, slowly change to English, maybe turn to puke and make me sick. Most times .. like 80%.. it's a nice constantly changing surprise.

I humbly reserve the right to post an intuitive thought here ... When ONE comes to mind.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Parfaits, mixes, embeds ... oh, heck yeah! All the time! Lately, I've been doing this more often than smoking blends straight.

I keep a mix of 60/40 Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam 83 and PS Turkish 84 around in large quantities. When I feel like enjoying a fruity aromatic (like Lane Ltd. Blackberry, or even Paladin Blackcherry) but don't feel like dealing with the aro's ashy third act, I'll embed a wad of the aro into a larger formation of Amsterdam/Turkish and Frank this combo into the bowl. Then, over time, my fruity dessert smoke eventually surrenders to straight, tobacco-forward sweetness only slightly informed by the core aromatic casing. (Believe me, it's simpler and more brainless even than my description.)

One specific parfait I've repeated in a taller bowl; a layer of Lane BCA over a layer of McClelland 5110 Dark English. The BCA yields to the 5110 before it wears out it's welcome with sweetness, and the 5110 takes on a little vanilla and a little prune for the remains of the bowl.

And don't get me started on embedding a coin or two of Mac Baren Club Blend into the center of a big pinch of Angler's Dream ... hot weather goodness!

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Be sparing on the Angler's Dream as it is sadly out of production.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

- I know!

(In fact, I discovered this horrific reality here.)

Over the years I've gotten used to things I like suddenly disappearing (not just beloved tobacco blends ... remember Hire's Root Beer or Sunshine Golden Fruit, or 86 proof Jack Daniels?), but Angler's going out of production was a bit more personal to me, because it's one of those rare instances where I had some casual interaction with the creator.

Shortly after pipesandcigars.com was absorbed by Cigar International, I'd ordered a couple tubs of AD, but they ran out before they shipped. There were some other order problems, and responses to my concerns weren't reassuring. (They've recovered from this transition, and I continue to enjoy doing business with them since, I can assure you.) I impetuously forwarded some concerns to Russ Oulette, who doesn't know me from Adam, not really expecting an answer. But answer he did, in his articulate, honest, gentlemanly way, explaining the nature of the transition and convincing me that I would receive my tubs. I got them on time for some summer fly casting (I know, this isn't angling). Fell in love with the stuff. Almost nothing better than a big bowl of Angler's Dream on a hot day.

I'm pretty sure I've read (I think on these boards) that it may be available in limited releases in the future. I hope it's true. In the meantime, I share your pain.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. londonmake

londonmake

Login to Send PM

>>>>Parfaits, mixes, embeds ... oh, heck yeah! All the time! Lately, I've been doing this more often than smoking blends straight.

I like to do this with a straight burley, like #212 Burley Delight and layer in Old Joe Krantz....really delicious and a strong smoke.

Other times, i do a medium virginia with something strong like SG Lakeland Dark. or GH Dark flake or plug. Keeps life interesting!

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, cdmjr, jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, jiminks, danimalia