PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

palehorse

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
I will begin by stating my reasons for buying a pipe. First off, I really enjoy functional art, and a lot of different styles of pipes catch my eye rather nicely. Secondly, I would like to smoke herbal blends in it not containing tobacco. Because I don't want an addictive substance. My first thought concerning herbal blends is, do the people selling them (individuals, not companies) actually know for certain the ingredients, upon inhalation, are non-toxic? I've seen mint in a few blends and I've always thought it was an irritant if inhaled.
OK, so my main dilemma is what kind of pipe to buy. I can't spend a lot of money (my cap is around $60), but that's all right because I've seen many far cheaper than my limit that I really like. My top contenders right now are either this guy: http://www.tinderbox.co.nz/clay_pipe_store.html or this company: http://www.etsy.com/shop/FloggleWerks as far as regular producers go. I would be very interested to know if anyone has any experience with either one.
My primary criteria aside from being attracted to the piece is that it be made from all natural material, which cancels out the majority of pipes made these days. Another major plus is if it's hand-made, because I like one-of-a-kind items, but at my price point, I can let that slip a bit. Considering styles now, I've garnered a liking for far too many to mention, but my favourite at the moment is the "oliphaunt". I just generally like unusual shapes or ancient designs, such as a Hopewell platform pipe, a long churchwarden, or calabash gourd.
Now my post is all dishevelled, but that gives an accurate representation of my mind. I'm so overwhelmed by the choices, and above all, if it turns out I don't like using it, I want it to be something I'll continue to enjoy looking at. I would like a brief overview concerning the differences in usage of a clay versus a wooden pipe, if someone would be so kind.
P.S. Can anyone recommend this? http://www.honeyrose.co.uk/prod10.html If yes, where can you get the tin instead of the pouch?

palehorse

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
Of corn cob pipes, the only one that's really attracted me is this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/171458191/personalized-decorative-corn-cob-pipes I am sure that I would like to have a pipe regardless of whether I like smoking it, as long as it's visually pleasing; I love sculpture. Can you tell me why you recommend cob over clay (for the cheap ones) and briar over, say, maple or fruit woods?

Mar 1, 2014
The best comments I've read about herbal smoking products were still not positive.
There are plenty of low nicotine tobacco types out there, and unless you're planning on smoking this every day I wouldn't worry about it. Cigarettes are specifically addictive because they give an instant kick, your lungs have the surface area of a football field and are designed to carry things from the air straight into your blood stream. If you don't inhale the Nicotine the absorption rate goes down dramatically.

If you're planning on smoking every day you have more to worry about than Nicotine anyway, that's not the part that gives you cancer, any smoke will do it.
(Just to make sure I'm not encouraging someone into a bad habbit, if you know that you easily become addicted to things then by all means don't use tobacco. Everyone has their limits, if that's an area of weakness don't let me talk you into doing something you'll regret.)

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
The main reason is if you are new to pipes, they are cheap to learn on. It is easy to smoke to hard & fast with the end result burning out the briar. If you burn out a cob, it is cheap to replace. Next reason would be you can sample many different tobaccos without having to worry a lot about the flavor from the previous tobacco lingering around altering the true flavor or lack of.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recommend cobs because they offer a quality smoke without costing a lot of money. Most of us have more familiarity with Briar than with other woods such as pear. Briar has been the standard for the past 150 years because it offers reliable performance and resilience to being used as a vessel for burning tobacco. Some folks love their clay pipes, others love their meerschaum pipes. I like both meerschaum and briar, but meerschaum requires more care as it is a more delicate material than briar. On the other hand, meerschaum pipes don't require a breaking in period, nor resting between use.

A good pipe involves more than the material from which it is made. A good pipe needs to have the proper drilling to provide an easy draw and easy packing.

If you don't mind having a nicknack on the shelf, whether used or not, just find something that appeals to you and give it a try. If you want to experience smoking without a large capital outlay, then cobs are a very good option.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
If the pleasure of smoking the pipe isn't your goal, then I see no reason why the type should matter. Buy the one that you find most visually appealing and enjoy that aspect. If it happens to be a good smoke, too, then all the better.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
palehorse asked:

Can you tell me why you recommend cob over clay?
Cobs are a pretty neutral vessel that don't much influence the smoking experience whereas clays can be rather an enjoyment challenge, even for experienced smokers ... enjoying pipe smoking is something that most achieve on a step by step basis ... few of us hit the ground running ...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
palehorse:
You're putting visual aesthetics ahead of the actual smoking experience. Which means that you're basing your choice of "first pipe" on something that doesn't matter one bit, while ignoring the aspects of pipe smoking that are likely to yield the most pleasure.
We recommend cobs, briar, and meerschaum (and, to a much lesser extent, clay) because these are the pipe-making materials that have stood the test of time: They provide consistently satisfying smoking experiences, tend to be durable, and either contribute pleasing attributes to a bowl of tobacco or provide a completely neutral experience.
I'd encourage you to use your $60 budget on a real pipe -- not a decoration or an art object (unless you have no intention of actually using it). For that price, you could acquire several corncob pipes or one really good estate briar. You should also be able to find a brand-new quality briar for that price. But my personal feeling is that, if you're actually wanting to learn how to smoke a pipe, you need to work with real pipes. Otherwise, you're likely to be disappointed and frustrated by the experience.
As for your link: As a site dedicated to tobacco pipes, we don't discuss herbal products, smoking cessation devices, etc.
Bob

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
My first proper pipe was a clay, there was nothing wrong with it, I still smoke it. Theyre not really any different to briars, other than they're a tiny bit lower maintainence and quite a lot more fragile.
I agree with my smoking colleagues here though in that you shouldnt choose a first pipe for aesthetics. My mother always said, about women, there's many a good looking nowt. She was right.

palehorse

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
As for your link: As a site dedicated to tobacco pipes, we don't discuss herbal products, smoking cessation devices, etc.
I know that tobacco users will sometimes mix herbal supplements with their tobacco, and so someone here might have an opinion on such a product. Most responses seem to be with the impression that I don't care about the pipe as a functional item, which is wholly untrue; my statement about enjoying functional art is foremost. I remain with the intent on trying the device, but don't want to buy one I find boring to look at in order to make a new-smoker-friendly purchase. I do understand and appreciate all the opinions stated, though.
My buying preference is to purchase direct from the maker, and part of my intent on starting this thread, although this point wasn't clear before, was recommendations for individuals whose work to look into. If they're local to the northeast U.S., that is also a plus, but it's certainly not mandatory. I don't tend to see a lot of oliphaunt/horn style pipes either, regardless of material. Any insight on this (not a good shape in use, for instance)?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I just went back and re-read your initial post more carefully. It sounds like you're under the impression that pipe smokers inhale pipe tobacco. Generally speaking, they do not. Like cigar smoke, pipe tobacco is meant to be drawn into the mouth and then exhaled. That's the only way to really reap the most from a pipe tobacco blend. As a result, pipe smokers in general are not physically addicted to tobacco, unlike most cigarette smokers. Now, many of us have strong emotional attachments to our pipes! But for most pipe smokers smoking a pipe is a source of relaxation and pleasure, not a physical need.
I can't imagine that you'd be able to find an artisan pipe maker who could produce a quality pipe for $60 -- especially not one that exhibits the kind of artful creativity you seem to be looking for. If you're looking for something beyond a "standard" English or Danish shape, I would think you'd be looking at spending upwards of $300/$400. It's getting challenging to find a good-quality factory-made briar pipe for under $60 these days, though; I'm doubtful that your budget and your desires are going to lead you to a pipe you'll actually enjoy smoking.
Also, be aware that all of the pipes we'll recommend here are intended for smoking pipe tobacco. If you're putting something else into your pipe, then chances are that a tobacco pipe isn't going to work as well. (For one thing, tobacco pipes DO NOT use screens or anything like that.)
To be honest, I can't help thinking that this might not be the most helpful forum for you.
Bob

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I'd definitely go with what the fellas are saying and invest in some cobs. If the actual act of smoking is of concern to you then you could always just collect pipes as art pieces. Otherwise it's a bit difficult to recommend options if your intent is purchasing a pipe for aesthetic pleasure.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
My primary criteria aside from being attracted to the piece is that it be made from all natural material, which cancels out the majority of pipes made these days.
Riiiiight... because the majority of pipes these days are made with supernatural materials such as "wood" and "rubber"... or "corncob" or "bamboo"...
Gimme a break.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I wasn't going to post anymore here, but yaddy's post got me thinking:
You'd be best off looking at meerschaum pipes. . . and, perhaps, bumping your budget a bit. You won't find a meerschaum carver in the U.S., but a hand-carved meerschaum would guarantee you a one-of-a-kind pipe. And meerschaum is a wholly naturally ingredient -- it's a mineral mined in Turkey.
The easiest way to acquire a meerschaum would be to visit a local B&M pipe/tobacco shop. (NOT the kind of head shop that is going to carry "herbal" smoking products.) But often selection will be quite limited. You'll find much more selection at MeerschaumStore.com, one of this site's sponsors.
Also, your Personal Profile says you're in Boston. If that's the truth, you should definitely plan a visit to L.J. Peretti and Co., one of the great pipe/tobacco shops in the U.S. They would definitely be able to help you out.
Bob

palehorse

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
A horn pipe actually seems a far simpler design to me, and I am curious why they aren't priced comparitively lower than a "standard" shape. I know about not inhaling as well, by the way, but the whole concept of playing with nicotine fiddles my sticks a little. OK, so a more generic enquiry: does anyone have any other sources of all-natural material pipes, like the ones from Floggle Werks? It could be soapstone, horn, wood, clay, or bone, but something without plastic is my big concern here.

palehorse

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
Riiiiight... because the majority of pipes these days are made with supernatural materials such as "wood" and "rubber"... or "corncob" or "bamboo"...
Or Vulcanite, maybe? Hee-haw! Aaanyway, as for meerschaum, I've seen a few of those that I definitely like as well, but they're FAR more expensive than comparatively-figured clay pipes, even though the clay pipes are pressed and not one-of-a-kind. I especially like the clay pipes that look like fishes and/or marbled red/white ones. Meerschaum that I really like has all turned out to be $250+.
I am about an hour away from the city, by the way. I would like to go into a shop at some point, but it's not often I get a chance to go into Boston. You also seem to be putting 'herbal' in quotes a lot and it makes me think that you think I'm looking for something illicit. Cannabis isn't my thing, but I appreciate the discretion.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Vulcanite is rubber, palehorse.
I'm not personally opposed to the smoking of any legal substances, but again this is a site about tobacco and tobacco pipes. The Forum Guidelines do not allow for the discussion of alternative substances -- or hookahs, or e-cigs -- here. Since you don't seem to be interested in tobacco or tobacco pipes, I honestly think your needs would be better served by a site dedicated to herbal smoking. That really isn't what this community is about.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.