PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Three of us, on a chilly Sunday afternoon. Thanks to Neil for Hosting. Tobacco was shared. Pipes were admired. Friendships kindled. Hopefully the beginning of a local club with some regular meetups. Our ongoing challenge will, of course, be where to hang out during the winter months. Any other Calgary pipers with an interest please PM me or NorthernNeil. Suggestions for venues greatly appreciated.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats you guys! Starting is always the hardest part. I'll holler at you on my next trip out to YYC for a meet-up and a puff.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Without the support of our great B&M we'd likely not have much to crow about. As it stands now, with 10 club meetings under our belts, we are getting regular attendance of between 8 - 14 puffers. Now a couple of those guys smoke sticks, so we have to bring the level of conversation down a notch or two... :P
But the B&M has really stepped up by cost-sharing things like the pipes we raffle off each month, and providing us with free advertising in their weekly emailouts and on their activity calendar.
This has been huge in helping us grow.
-- Pat

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Great tips guys. We'll have to see if we can get a local B&M on board. Like I said, one of our biggest challenges will be where to meet in our very tobacco-unfriendly part of the world.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Can you smoke in the local B&M?
While its certainly cheaper to order things online we've made a point to usually buy something when we go there - and our B&M has told us if we get enough pipers (more than 5) at the meetings then we can get a 10% discount. plus they have free samples.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Pylorns.
Essentially, it is now legally impossible to smoke in any public place where there is a) a roof, tarp, umbrella over one's head or b) the likelihood that there will be another human being affected by your smoke... even if they are willing.
Smoking legislation is, I believe, a Provincial mandate (although municipalities are able to affect new anti-smoking bylaws as they deem appropriate) and there are some loop-holes as regards the use of certain structures/buildings and whether they are designated as "private" or "public". This being said, it is VERY difficult to find places for large groups to gather for a smoke.
In fact, the government in Toronto is trying to pass a new bylaw which would make it illegal to smoke on or in any public park... yikes.
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Hey Steven, I'm glad you and Chris were able to make it over. It only took a couple hours to clear the smoke :)
Pylorns, the only shop that allows smoking cost $1500 a year for a membership, and the owner has said he has ZERO interest in hosting a pipe club. Unfortunately, we are left to owr own devises. Maybe, if we get some more people involved, they might change their mind.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
We are envious of our US Briar Brothers who enjoy smoking lounges at their local B&Ms. Like Pat says, north of the 49th, das is pretty much verboten! We are relegated to backyards, basements and tool sheds ... or huddled in the woods, surrounded by hungry wolves... Makes us tougher pipers, though :rofl:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
We are relegated to backyards, basements and tool sheds ... or huddled in the woods, surrounded by hungry wolves... Makes us tougher pipers, though
Time to invest in a yurt, a woodstove, and a still. Problem solved.
-- Pat

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
It was great meeting you both yesterday. And a big thanks to Neil for inviting us into his home.

Status
Not open for further replies.