PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I snuck into an Albany NY shop this evening, just before closing. I found my first Barlings pipe (and a Sasieni Moorgate Rustic). The pipes came from the estate of a VP for the nearby General Electric plant.
The pipe is stamped:
Barling's Make (arched over Make)

Ye Olde Wood

Special (cursive)

226 T.V.F.
Made In England. L
The Barling's stem cross is in pretty good shape and there is a faint registration number underneath.
From notes I've saved from Jesse Silver posts, I believe the pipe would be from the family era. The stem registration number further narrows the age to between 1936 and 1950.
These are from my camera phone in the hotel, I'll take some better pictures when I return home.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Al,
Well that pipe is a beauty! From the stamps I'd place the pipe roughly between 1945 and 1950. The "Special" grade was reserved for pipes that showed excellent grain. There are not a lot of those floating around, certainly not in the clean and sharp condition of this pipe. Stamps look crisp. The stem is in great shape, not buffed down, and it's a bent, which is also a less common Barling shape. The "L" stamp stands for "large" size and this and the "EL" are my two favorite sizes. The pipe looks to have been well maintained.
This is a very nice addition, one that I would be happy to have in my collection. Enjoy it in the best of health.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Wow! That is an exceptionally nice Barling, especially considering the vintage. Most all of the Specials I have seen were made for a pipe shop and lack a shape number and even the T.V.F. stamp. The only Special in my collection fits into that category. Mine, too, is a "large".

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
By the way, are you sure you do not want to keep the Moorgate and sell the Barling? :wink:

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
That's a great looking Barling Special in great condition. Congrats. Down the road you'll have let us know how she smokes in comparison to your other English briars.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys and particularly Jesse, who I knew would have some insights.

The gentleman who owned these pipes had great taste and it would have been very interesting to meet him.

I've worked on a few Barling's in the past few years, but this is the first one I've been able to purchase. That shape is definitely in my wheelhouse. As Jesse pointed out, most of the Barling's I've encountered at shows, etc. have been straight pipes.
The stem needs a little bit of work to complete. I'll do that and take some better pictures when I get back home. I'm looking forward to lighting the pipe up for the first time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Over the years, I have saved a number of Jesse's patient replies on Barlings inquires - that definitely enabled me to make a good purchase on a brand I wasn't that familiar with. (until now!). So, thanks Jesse!
The shop has a number of BBB pipes from a similar era. I need to bone up on that nomenclature for a return trip. Sadly, that was the only Barling's in the lot.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, BBB nomenclature is, so far as I can tell, not all that helpful. When I am looking for an old BBB I go for hallmarked bands or an earlier line like Ultima Thule. Otherwise, a metal diamond logo in the stem is a good indicator that you have a pre-Cadogan BBB.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, the other thing, and this is just a guess, but if you look at the Thorneycroft markings, I think the large E in Made in England, is the older marking...
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-bbb.html

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Also keep in mind that BBB Own Make pipes with a BBB-marked sterling band absent hallmarks are a lower grade than non-banded BBB Own Make Virgin pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys. I don't recall seeing any hallmark banded BBB's but some Canadian and Lovat shapes with the metal rondell. One was a Virgin he had priced at $50, I probably should have grabbed it.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Best Make Ultima Thule for sure. Other fairly early, above-average priced BBBs include Best Make, Super Barrage, Blue Peter, London Dry, Ultonia.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I gave the Barling's a quick shine this evening. Wow, what a beautiful pipe. I stayed away from the precious nomenclature, but the stem and briar really came out nicely. The pipe is cleaned (it was nearly pristine inside) and ready for me to smoke tomorrow evening. My first smoke in a vintage Barling's, I'm pretty excited.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I am stoked a bit, I don't often have the moment to smoke a new brand of pipe, particularly a legendary make. I'm a My Mixture 965 guy, so that's what it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.