PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
This is my first ever review. Be warned!

So far I've tried this stuff out of a MM cob, a wide bowl no name and a bent Amphora X-tra. I don't have disposable income... yet... but my pipes are good smokers and I know how treat them to get a great smoke. When they get hot they sit and when they gurgle they get a pipe cleaner. No fancy -pantsness here. Anyway, Amphora wins. My new Dark Star exclusive.

Out of the jar there is ketchup. Smokey ketchup. Likely story with McClelland so I hear. There are background notes of old hickory and a sweetness that makes me want to chew on it. I dig it. Very nice.

I load up my bowl, it takes one match and I'm off. A whisp of matured hay, a sweetness, fruitiness, an undertone of dark chocolate. Very rounded out and very delicious. After all that sitting around time there are still some bright notes in there that pop out from time to time. Fresh hay, raisins and almost green wood.

It turns into a bass and mid symphony. Not extremely complex yet but very rounded out. Intense earthy flavor with the fruitiness building more and more.

My pipe heats up and I let it sit.

Another match. The fruitiness develops into a rich, deep, earthy, syrupy and natural sweetness that I've never experienced before. I'm assuming this can only come from aging dark stoved va's. Amazing. This mellows out and the hay is more pronounced again with the sweetness of raisins. Flavors are so rich and full. All become tied together by this mossy, smokey hickory flavor. F'n outstanding!

The end was a dry smoke with a subtle creaminess. Fruity tones continued to dance across my tongue until, unfortunately it ended.

I should say that I had a difficult time smoking this slowly. It is good, exciting and not easy for me to slow it down with this stuff. No bite though. I must have slowed down just in time to get all the full and delicious flavors without the burn.

I was amazed at every aspect of this fine, aged tobacco.

Peteguy, you did a fine job of aging this. I'm sure that even more seasoned pipe smokers than myself would agree. I can only hope now to get my fresh tin to something that resembles this. Kudos to you friend! And thank you again!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
WOW, your review blows mine away. Did you take notes as you were smoking? Mine was all from memory and obviously nowhere near as deep as yours. I think we do agree that this was some FANTASTIC stuff.
Tip of the hat to peteguy for sharing AND having the discipline to keep it that long

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I take notes. Started when I got the stuff in the mail. Finished at 6:am this morning. O.c.d. and neurosis are my way lol. Yours is awesome too man. Thank you.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Nice review, fluffie. Now I am going to dig out my Dark Star for a bowl or two.
Question, what was the inside of the tin like? Any signs of rust?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Not sure about the tin. Peteguy sent it to me in the mail. Plastic baggie. See, I just bought a fresh tin about 3 weeks ago... maybe a month. But I was wondering how to prep it. Peteguy was kind enough to send this sample from '97 so I can get some ideas on what to do with mine.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Good deal.
It seems to be hit or miss with their tins, which is why I asked. I had a tin from the same year that was dry when I popped it due to interior rust. I snagged another tin from 2000 and mixed the two to re hydrate the 97.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
It's difficult for me to find tobaccos that I truly enjoy. I'm sensitive to any kinds of chemicals. So when I find a blend I like I take notes. I'm also fairly new to smoking a pipe so the notes help me decipher flavors. I have a difficult time remembering things too so again, they help me. I don't write on every bowl but I do set time aside to do it. I love the hobby.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Mixing the two was a good idea. The stuff is so wet so I'm sure it'll work great. I popped my freshie open and shook it around every few days for two weeks. I just opened the tin to let it breathe, put the top back on, shook it around every two or three days. Then I transferred it to a jar and put it the closet to let the magik happen.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
No rust - I will dig thru my empty's and take a pic of the tin if I remember. Glad you liked it fluffie. I was gifted a sample once with 10 yrs and knew right away that this was something I had to smoke for the rest of my piping days. This tin was one of those ask the retailer if there are any more in the back kind of things. This was a few years ago before the whole aged tobacco frenzie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.