PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I have what appears to be a somewhat unique Killarney red. I purchased it new from a small shop in I believe 1999, although it may have been 2000. My hunch is it had set in the inventory for some time as it was not a high-volume shop, so may have been new old stock.

The interesting things about this pipe:

1. Other than the P on the stem, there is no reference to Peterson.

2. The country of origin mark is "made in Ireland" with the Ireland directly under Made In (block letters)

3. Markings: on one side is "Killarney" in script. The other side is the Made In Ireland along with the shape stamp XL02, down and to the right of the Made In Ireland. There are no other markings on the briar.

4. This is a system pipe - sump chamber below the draught hole, and a graduated bore p-lip stem, 5mm at the tenon and about 3mm at the lip
I am no Peterson expert by any means, and I only have one other Peterson pipe (a system spigot). However, my understanding is that, at least in the modern "Dublin " era, the Killarny is a non-system. I have looked through a bunch of on-line images of estate Killarney pipes and cannot find any with the same markings.
I am wondering if this is a "transition" pipe from the early 1990s. As I understand it, during the pre-republic and republic era, there was "a Peterson Product" stamp used. It seems that almost all modern Killarney's have a "Peterson's of Dublin" stamp.
I was hoping to upload some photos, but I don't see a way to do that.
What I am looking for is if anyone knows more about the markings used by Peterson in the late 80s and early 90s? Amy I correct that the Killarny line is usually not a system pipe?
Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the ancestors of your pipe, but no system pipes, two Killarney series, a B11 ebony bent brandy, and a 999 bent Rhodesian, bought within the last ten years or so, fishtail stems. I've been fortunate in my Petersons, six or eight, with none of the quality control problems described by some.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Mike - thank you. I figured there was a way to do it, but obviously am new to the site.

Killarney
Edit:

Well, obviously, I still have some learning to do. I uploaded a couple photos to my album, copied the URL

Status
Not open for further replies.