PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Was at an antique store with my grandmother today. I asked at the stores if they had any pipes/related stuff....two places..."There is a guy who comes in and buys up the pipes as soon as I get them in." Then the third "I just sold the pipe and lighter I had yesterday." ...so unfortunately all I found was old Velvet/P.A./H&H tins, two over priced pipe racks, and get this....a box of medico filters/dills cleaners marked $6 and $3....I laughed. ANYWAYS I did find one thing. A tin of Union Leader, it had tape around the top, and was full. Luckily the guy who owned it was right there next to his booth. I asked him a little about it. Apparently I wasn't the first to come in and buy an unopened tin. He got with a bunch of other unopened tins, someone bought up the others and said they were going to smoke them....he claimed as far as he knew it hadn't been opened ever, but he wouldn't smoke it or advise it. I looked at it, $10, good shape and something just drew me to it. So I got it. Opened it up in the car, after removing the tape around it....if it had been opened...you couldn't tell. Smelled good, looked good, was dry but not an issue for something so old. Glad I got it too...
$10 for the 12 oz tin, dated 1984 with the original sticker, had the coupon/card in it still. Smoked a little before these pictures...it's pretty good. Anyone care to give me info on Union Leader and how these old OTC brands age?

1114152122-00_zpsj7kcaaq9.jpg

1114152122-02_zpserseye48.jpg

1114152122-03_zpshkxcmtao.jpg

1114152123-01_zpskvcjdhry.jpg

1114152123-02_zpsxphm8re5.jpg

Interesting feeling to smoke a tobacco a little older than you, out of an older still pipe.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
P.S. Is Smokemaster related to Grabow in any way other than being in Sparta? If only I could find someone selling one...will make them honor the coupon :D

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I still have 2 unopened tins of 1954 Prince ALbert. I hydrated one myself but the experience was less than wonderful. Now these are paper wrapped inside and not sealed well so that's a big difference from sealed tins.
Check out This thread for more info and pictures.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Because Union Leader is mostly burley, I doubt it will have changed much. It's not bad stuff. I like it. You're very lucky, man. Enjoy!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Burley changes quite a bit in my (somewhat limited) experience. I found this out with S.P.S. Breckinridge. I was given some as part of the FPP, found out later it had been aged around a year (maybe) It's just KY Plug Cut Burley. The first tin had an almost cocoa scent/taste with it. Smooth and creamy. The new tin I ordered after....almost bland. Only hints of the flavor, and not nearly as rich.
I'll be honest, this stuff reminds me slightly of Marlboro Reds - when they were 27.99 a carton and didn't have fire bands. I didn't hydrate it, I just let it ride when I smoked it. No bite, and smoked relatively slow for how dry. I'll have to pour some out, hydrate a little and see how it goes another time as well. Funny, my first OTC Burley based tobacco is this. Only other OTC is Admiral's Choice.
Hawke, thanks for posting up the thread on the P.A. That's quite a find, blows mine out of the water!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Tyler, Breckinridge may have changed because the topping can mute with time in those tins. Also, there may have been a quality control issue. That happens. But burley itself doesn't change much with age, certainly not like Virginias can. Union Leader always did have a cigarettish taste, which is why you got the feeling of Marlboros. Some smokers used it for rolling cigarettes, and if Hunter is reading this, he can probably tell us for sure whether or not UL was originally made for cigarettes and pipes.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Burley doesn't age well does it?
It ages fine. It doesn't go thru a significant change like Va's is all people are saying. I believe it is due to not having all the sugars that Va's have but I am no scientist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I just wanted to thank Paul for what he sent a while back. The pipe above was sent to me as well as a nice hand written note and some samples of tobacco. Generosity doesn't seem to be lacking at all with the members of this forum!

1118151603-00_zpsom593lth.jpg

I've yet to get around to testing out the pipe, but the Country Squire - Hunting Creek is a great after dinner smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.