2003 Peterson XL90 Rocky Donegal (unsmoked)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This Peterson was a lucky grab. The seller had it listed as a B5 (bulldog) and said it was unsmoked. I thought that it was an XL90 and saw it has Sterling band with a hallmark date. The buyer accepted my offer and the pipe was delivered today. It was indeed an XL90 and unsmoked. The S hallmark shows it was made in 1983. I removed the light oxiation from the stem and she's ready to roll. I have Supreme XL90 that I use, so this one will probably be stored for the time being.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Nice score Al, love the XL90 shape. That's a 2003 not a 1983 date mark though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I always get those two "S" stamps wrong! I think that in '83, the 9BC shape was still in use and they hadn't made the switch to the XL90. Mark Irwin promises to cover all of this in his upcoming book. Thanks rblood! (I'll update the title)

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Still, very nice. This line has been extremely popular for decades.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The rustification style should have also been a tip off on the age, the older Rocky Donegal finishes were very different (less carved looking, more pebbly?)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Al
Come to Morley's and meet Gary Malmberg. He moved from Sacramento and attends most of our meetings now. He likes Morley's more than the club he ran in Sacramento. Having the Pen & Pencil Club as the venue rather than his basement has something to do with it. He's working with MarkI on the Pete book.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.