PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
My dad was a pipe smoker for about 25 yrs after quitting cigarettes. By ~1985 he was all through. I remember him in the 1960's smoking mostly smaller billiards & some metal stem pipes. I don't know what happened to those pipes but I have ~18 - 20 of his pipes that he bought in the 1970's & early 1980's. I have been going thru some of those recently and among my favorites is this Knute of Danish Design. The acrylic bit and/or acrylic collar are missing the "crowned K" logo and the stampings are slightly different, but I'm wondering if this pipe can be attributed to Karl Erik ( http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-k3.html )? My dad also had some Ben Wade pipes. Ben Wade also made a series of pipes under the Knute name but I have been unable to find any information on those.
The bit is a nice root beer brown color with streaks in it. The collar is more of a reddish/orange tobacco color with swirls in it.

yIERZwj.jpg

CUHTJxO.jpg

3os2VnC.jpg

YG2vN3O.jpg

IMG%5D

There were 2 or 3 shopping malls near where he lived and each mall had pipe & tobacco shops. He probably bought all his pipes from those shops. I would like to learn anything I can about some of his pipes so any help from the knowledgable people here would be greatly appreciated. With the difference in the stamping I have wondered if a couple of his pipes could have been seconds sold thru the pipe shop. So even if you recognize this pipe to be a discounted second it won't hurt my feelings. They were his and that's all that really matters. Thanks for all info provided!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks for the link, Coalsmoke. It doesn't seem to draw much interest but is a nice smoking pipe!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Pylorns, I saw your OP a while back using the search feature. Glad to see you are still enjoying the Knute! I like the contrast with the new bit.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks max! I like it too. It fits the hand real nice and is a good size for most of my smokes. But it caught my eye and was one of the first of my dad's pipes that I cleaned up to use. I may find more favorites from his collection as I work my way thru some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.