1970s Ellery Queen TV Series in Public Domain.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I can't imagine how that show was allowed to go into the public domain. You'd think it'd be kept in copyright. Anyway, you can go here and watch the Jim Hutton series for free: https://archive.org/details/ElleryQueenSeries

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You bet, buddy.
In the pilot episode, I had to laugh when Ellery said the murder suspect smoked a "mild pipe tobacco... heavy on the latakia".

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's Timothy Hutton paying homage to his father: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry2mLQ79TPw

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm a fan of the book and the Adventures of Ellery Queen radio shows. I listen to them on Old Time Radio podcasts.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was just listening to one: archive.org/details/ElleryQueen/Ellery_Queen_The_Bad_Boy_Ford_Theater_48_01_04.mp3
It's too bad that Manfred B. Lee's son has a bunch of uncirculated EQ radio shows, but won't release them to the public. If he's thinking about money, he's sure thinking wrong.
I've read every novel and short short in which the Ellery Queen character appears. In Japan, the character is very popular. Too bad he isn't in the USA much anymore.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I find that to be true, also. Ellery Queen was a very popular mystery detective book series for decades. The character had a long run on radio, several bad 1940s movies, and then TV for most of the 1950s. Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine has been in continuous print since the mid-1940s. But as time has moved on, the importance of Ellery Queen in detective fiction, once great, has waned and the character mostly forgotten, which is a shame. However, he is very popular in Japan.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Thanks, too, from me, Jim. I watched this show religiously, back in the day. Having the show so easy to access is great. I watched a few in the month since you posted the link, and shared it with members of my Sherlock Holmes groups, and Nero Wolfe group. Many of them were also fans of the show.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Glad to hear that, Dino. I think the show didn't get a fair chance to succeed when it was originally broadcast. Putting up against The Streets of San Francisco was a bad idea, and then moving it to compete with the reunion of Sonny and Cher was bad, too.
Btw, does your Nero Wolfe group like the William Conrad TV version or did it stray too much from some of Wolfe's aspects for them?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No wonder intellectual property law is a whole separate branch of the legal profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.