PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Some guys are straight grain collectors, others are eye-popping birdseye collectors. Me? I've always been drawn to something I call "granite grain." Super-tight end grain bowls that don't have any (or many) dots, but, up close, look more like compressed paisley than anything else, and from any distance look bland. Almost like stone (hence the granite label). The problem is they're so rare that you can't properly collect them. There's no standardized term for such wood, so you just have to grab it when you find it.
This pipe is a decently cut 120, not great but good, and besides its "granite grain" bears an unusual stamp. "SP". I've no idea what it means, but it doesn't look like one of those distribution-related "add on" stamps because it's so large and also aligned with the other nomenclature. Anyone who has a clue, please say so. I've had this pipe since the early 90's and have had no luck asking around so far.
59.8 grams, 6.25" long.
P1010835.jpg

P1010841.jpg

P1010844.jpg

P1010846.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very nice, I'm drawn to that kind of grain as well.

We need a shot of all of your 120's as a group, so see the contrast. And to drool...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
We need a shot of all of your 120's as a group
That sort of shot requires everything on a flat surface, and then shadows are a nightmare.
(It turns out pipes are surprisingly hard to take good pictures of. Lots of tweaking and adjusting, and lighting is always a first class PITA. This recent "one a day" BritWood thing I'm doing is easy only because everything is already set up and left that way. All that changes is the pipe, and swapping it only takes a few seconds. Then download the camera, process the shots, upload to a host, and post. About 5-10 minutes total.)

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Great pipe! I'm not sure what the SP is, but I do know it is on other shapes so it is not due to shape. I've only seen it on series 4 from the 60's though...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Agreed, I've never able to pull off a group shot, but I thought if anyone could, it might be you.

Or, a collage of shots, same shape, same profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.