PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This particular 120 is the "straightest" one I've seen. It seems odd that something as fundamental as the angle between the shank and bowl would vary significantly within a numbered shape, but there you go. Dunhill is nothing if not occasionally eccentric (in the finest English tradition, of course :lol: )
As does every Tanshell in my rack, it smokes wonderfully well. The Sardinian briar used for them back then was something special, I think.
55.0 grams, 6.6" long
P1020346.jpg

P1020341.jpg

P1020349.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
georged:
I do not know if you saw my post to your TanShell ODA thread from a couple of weeks ago, so I have copied it below.
According to the late John C. Loring in his book titled The Dunhill Briar Pipe - The Patent Years and After : "The TanShell (sic) was Dunhill's fourth finish and its first major post war line addition. Introduced in 1951/1952 the TanShell was a naturally stained sandblasted pipe made exclusively from Sardinian briar through the 1960s. The TanShell apparently was not simply a light stained Shell but rather was also the product of "certain processes [unrevealed] not previously employed." Initially, it appears that the pipe was to be named the Root Shell and a stamp to that effect was ordered and received by Dunhill in May 1951. Ultimately however, the name TanShell was settled upon but the stamp for the TanShell name was not received by Dunhill until the beginning of December. Thus while the TanShell was in production in 1951 it appears that most if not all TanShells made in that year did not enter into retail distribution until 1952 and were given a 1952 date code."

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The curve on this mouthpiece is beautiful. The guy who bent this mouthpiece certainly knew what he was doing.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The guy who bent this mouthpiece certainly knew what he was doing.
Thanks. :lol:
I must confess that every stem within my reach that could use an adjustment gets one. Hot Air Gun & Leather Gloves --- Will Travel
(apologies to Richard Boone)
I figure I'm only doing what the original factory bender would have done if he'd had the time, production quotas simply don't allow it. Getting longer stems just right is a fussy business.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Huntertrw --- That passage implies I might not be imagining things, doesn't it? Thanks! :D

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Very pretty pipe. Very light "tan" on it. The bowl also looks a bit fuller or rounder than my 120.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
George, great looking pipe. How many Dunhills do you own and what years do you collect. My latest acquisition is a 1969 Root Briar LB with a saddle stem. I should be getting it in a couple of days.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
How many Dunhills do you own and what years do you collect.
I just counted (the dots make it easy in an upright rack), and the grand total is 33.
For me, the year is incidental to the specimen. The Old Days produced some clunkers, and I've seen a few late production masterpieces.
Congrats on your '69 LB. That was a memorable year for Planet Earth. :puffy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f06QZCVUHg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
We landed on the moon on July 20 1969 on my sisters birthday. Very interesting you collect all different years, I would have thought you were more from the old school. It makes me think about Dunhill differently.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Check out the British-only Pipes board: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/british-pipes
I posted my entire collection several months ago, when you were off the board down in Uruguay digging up that ancient UFO or whatever it was that took you away for a while.
Most of the thread headers that start with a four digit year are mine. They run from 1924 to 2003.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
simply lovely!

almost looks more like shape 56, no?
i own one TanShell 120, but don't have a pic of it, apologies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, do you have a link that shows your entire collection?
No. I'm not a collector, just an accumulator.
The pics I posted while you were off digging diamonds in Tanzania was but a lark. A way to keep messing with pipes without smoking them.
They're all out there individually, though. They've dropped down the board, but most should be look-uppable through my profile's post history.

Status
Not open for further replies.