1963 Dunhill Root Briar (shape LB)

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by georged
  • Latest reply from samcoffeeman
  1. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing visually dramatic or rare/special about this one, just a solid, well-cut specimen with good wood.

The LB shape has long been a favorite with American collectors along with Dunhill's other large shapes like the 120. (A country's size preference in pipes supposedly has much to do with tobacco retail cost. In most of Europe, where tobacco has been historically expensive, the average/preferred bowl size is significantly smaller than in the US where tobacco has always been widely available and cheap.)

61.0 grams, 5.9" long

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Classic. Working on restoring this '31 LB right now, actually sending to a friend to do the stem. Already reamed and cleaned all the gunk out of the stem/shank/mortise.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any more pics of that '31 mondo-craggo-uber-blast? It's amazing. The stem looks original and in good shape. Unless the chamber walls are burned, that's a crown jewel LB!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is the letter/number/figure after "England" on the stamp. It looks like its says Englands plural, but that can't be it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a flat-topped numeral 3.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

You two might actually get me to buy a pipe of this shape one of these days...

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Here you go George. Stem is original and the stamps are all solid and legible, although I didn't take a pic of those, which I'm questioning now why I didn't lol. The inner tube has the patent number also.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me, the proportions of that pipe are almost perfect if there is such a thing. The mouthpiece looks mighty comfy too. Nice pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sam, that's simply outrageous.

John Loring had some old Shells that were blasted into the next dimension (pipes that Dunhill's own reps said would be rejected today because of how far "outside the lines" they ended up, shape-wise), but I've never seen one that ALSO had the degree of hard/soft grain contrast that yours does.

Given that Dunhill made several million Shells in the century they've been at it, calling your pipe "one in a million" is very probably literally true.

Glad to see the chamber is OK. (Well smoked, and a bit more susceptible to damage if smoked hot today than a new pipe would be, but should be no problem with reasonable care.)

Thank you so much for the pics. You just made my day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great example, fine photos!

Q: Recently reamed?

Q: Will the small pits in the chamber fill in with cake with smoking, or might something else be done to fill them in? (Which should add a touch of protection against burn through....?)

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Yes, just reamed it this week. I'm not inclined to cost the bowl, those pits are tiny. The wood is in great shape. I'll break her in easy.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lawayna, dmcmtk, didimauw